“Friendly Waitstaff and Delicious Food”
Review of Bocca East - CLOSED

Bocca East
Price range: US$29 - US$31
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations, Takeout
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighbourhood: Upper East Side
Cross street: 78th Street
Transit: 4,6 Trains to 77th Street.
Description: Bocca di Bacco is a familiar concept specializing in casual Italian dining and fine wines by the glass and by the bottle.
Reviewed 30 October 2013

We stopped here for lunch on a day out for shopping. Since it was a beautiful fall day, we decided to sit at one of the outside tables. Sometimes, the service can be slow when sitting outside but our service was great. The waiter told jokes and really engaged us in conversation.

The breads they brought to the table were warm and delicious-we especially liked the little muffin! My daughter and I shared a wonderfully fresh salad and a seared tuna entree. Both were excellent. The only negative I will say (and the reason I didn't give the place 5 stars) is that the salad was on the small side. How much would it have cost them to add more greens to the plate? I have been finding this practice of skimping on the greens in a lot of restaurants lately. Maybe the price of greens has gone up recently, but it's very noticeable when you are ordering a salad as an entree and you get a plate that is only half full of greens. When I am a regular at the restaurant, I ask them when placing the order to give me extra greens. I shouldn't have to do this, they should know that people who order a green salad expect to have a plate full of greens.

Reviewed 20 October 2013

The waitress was arrogant, the food we ordered couldn't be called one piece meal. We came in hungry and left more hungry. Shame. The amount you get for the price is ridiculous. I have been living for 29 years in US but this was so far the worst place and worst food ever. The only good thing was a restroom.
SHAME!

1  Thank JARA1405
Reviewed 13 October 2013

An excellent wine list tended by educated and enthusiastic staff. The menu, though a bit small, has some very good items. If it wasn't quite as noisy .......

Reviewed 1 September 2013

We were meeting our friends for dinner in the city and they recommended Bocca East, a restaurant across the street from their apartment building. They urged us to head over at 6:30 since the place gets very crowded and sure enough shortly after we were seated, there were lots of people lined up on the street waiting for a table! The waitress was very friendly and although we had never been there, she acted like we were regulars which added to the enjoyment of our experience. I ordered one of the specials of the day, pan seared snapper, that was perfectly prepared and tasty. One of my friends ordered ravioli stuffed with short ribs! I thought that was a pretty unusual combination, but it tasted great!. And for dessert on the recommendation of our waitress, we ordered tiramisu and their chocolate cake with vanilla ice cream which the four of us shared. And both desserts were outstanding. I know there are a lot of restaurants to choose form in New York City, but if you are looking for a cosy, romantic and yet neighborhood restaurant with great food, you should check out Bocca!

NYCRestaurant, Public Relations Manager at Bocca East, responded to this reviewResponded 11 September 2013

We're so appreciative of the time you took to review your dining experience with us at Bocca East earlier this month. It's very important to us that our guests leave feeling happy and eager to return. Thank you for including specifics as to what menu items you enjoyed and including tips that were suggested by your server. We invite you to join us whenever you return to New York.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed 22 August 2013

Bocca is a cozy little Italian restaurant nestled in the corner of 2nd and 78th. We had no idea what we were in for...all we wanted was to have a decent meal in a place that had air-conditioning. One step in the place confirmed that at least one of the conditions would be met. It was the first time we were cool all day; what a relief!
Prompt, attentive service was provided all evening without being a nuisance- in fact our waiter was knowledgeable, friendly and very skilled at making us feel as though we were the only people in the place. Of course we weren't. The restaurant filled up quickly, but we were never rushed or encouraged to leave after the typical 2 hour limit. We had THE most delicious meals-everything from soup to nuts- at a lovely, leisurely pace. Presentation was perfection, quality was beyond scrumptious, and the atmosphere was relaxing in the midst of a lively business. I can't recommend this place highly enough. We will definitely go back when we visit NYC again. Mmmm-mmmm, good!

1  Thank Sandy B

Hello Sandy, Thank you for your kind compliments! We are extremely happy to hear that you experienced great service & cuisine during your dining experience. Hope you have another New York City trip soon!