“Awful staff and poor service”

Hotel 48LEX New York
Ranked #79 of 467 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersSilver level
神奈川
“Awful staff and poor service”
Reviewed 2 September 2012

I met awful staff she is a one of guest manager at the hotel.
Actually this hotel made a big mistake for my certain package and I had very inconveniences, however, the lady come up on the phone was so arrogant and temporize lots of excuses which are very inconsistency, but she never admit her mistakes. Not professional at all.
To my great surprise, she ordered front desk staff to ignore my calls since she worried to be pointed out her mistake,

Also hotel description says there is "business center", but it is actually only one computer and printer which is broken.

Furthermore, one night no hot water running so I have to stay till after midnight and had to in wet bath towel till pluming work finished more than one hour.

This hotel is not Hyatt quality at all. Never recommend to stay here if you do not want to ruin the time in NY.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank akikokayoko
Brian T, Manager at Hotel 48LEX New York, responded to this review, 10 September 2012
Hello akikokayoko

I first would like to apologize for all the issues you had pertaining to your package. There was an error on our end with your booking and we are terrible sorry for any inconvenience this may have caused. What I find concerning, I had the pleasure of meeting you prior to departure, and I was under the impression you were satisfied w/ the way the situation was handled and I thought you left in good spirits. I wish you had filled me in on the other concerns you had during our discussion so those two could have been addressed.

I am truly sorry you were not pleased w/ your overall experience at the Hyatt 48 Lex and we do hope you stay w/ us again.

Regards,

Brian Twomey

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (263)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Zionsville, Indiana
Reviewed 1 September 2012

Had a stay at this property last week and found it to be a really good deal with points since rates were in the $300 area during my one night stay.

I took the Newark Express bus and it was a pretty easy walk up Lexington avenue to the Hotel. Check in was very professional but the "front desk area" looked more like a bell desk but the people working check in were on top of things and very professional. I booked a standard king and found the room to be bigger than expected after reading some of the reviews. It was not huge but the size was fine especially since I was by myself. Internet was $14.95 for me as I am not Plat or Diamond with Hyatt and although I dont like to pay for internet, it was of good speed when I used it. Got an email fromt the front desk supervisor later in the evening (assume it was automated) and I replied with a comment and to my surprise it was answered that evening as well. Nice touch. The location of this property is great. You have soo many options from this area. I was leaving out of Laguardia the next morning and stayed here instead of the very shabby airport hotels and got to the airport in about 20 minutes. Much better option than staying at Laguardia. I have nothing negative to stay about this property except I would have preferred that the restaurant was open earlier but their opening time of 7AM is normal for NYC in my experience and the restaurant across the street opens earlier.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled solo
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 27 August 2012

Centrally located, we walked everywhere. Our room (king studio) was spacious by New York standards, and very well appointed, with floor to ceiling windows. A nice touch is the "kitchenette" with microwave and dishwasher drawer in additon to the bar fridge! Nice to be able to heat up your doggy bags from dinner! However, dishes had to be requested from room service. There was turndown service every evening, with chocolates on the pillows and fresh towels in the bathroom! Another great feature is the second floor lounge: lots of comfy seating, magazines, 24/7 cappucino/coffee machine. Mornings they put out platters of pastries and juices; late afternoon was cheese and crackers. There was one computer available with internet; free wifi in the lounge would have been a really nice bonus as sometimes we had to wait for the computer. The gym was pretty good - cardio room with state of the art treadmills, ellipticals and bikes (2 of each) with integrated tvs. The strength room had a cable machine, free weights and mats. All in all, we had a great time here and would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Our room was kitty corner to the elevator and we didn't notice any noise at all. No street nois...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Sheri1004
Cathedral City, California
Reviewed 19 August 2012

It's quiet, stylish, the suites are compact yet comfortable, the linens fresh ,
and the staff is well rehearsed and knowledgable. Grand Central Station is
nearby along with a marvleous marketplace for every imaginable edible
( including nuts, fruits, cupcakes). I was impressed with the 2nd floor which
can be reserved for meetings ( reasonable rates) . The room service menu
is on the high side for breakfast ( egg dishes for $26!) but in all other respects
this is a sophisticated ,exceptionally well located hotel which exceeds
most in concept ( the front desk is minimal, but then, this feels less than a
hotel than it does an urban hideaway).
I wish the suite had a bathtub but other than this I highly recommend
this Hyatt above all others in NYC>

Room Tip: ask for a "Corner Suite"
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank Pam1751
Jerusalem, Israel
Reviewed 16 August 2012

Have stayed 3 times in past month. Have been very pleased. Service of all staff we encountered was outstanding. We were truly made to feel like guests, and not customers!
Great value, especially when using Gold Passport points.

Room Tip: Corner suites roomy. Higher floors more quiet.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Bobfried
Reviewed 15 August 2012 via mobile

Although the hotel might be hard to find, and the lobby is small, I found this hotel to be quite good.
The staff were friendly and helpful. They listened to our complaints( we had to switch rooms twice, the first time because they did not put us on the same floor as our relatives, the second time because the new room we switched to was not clean, and it was noisy. ) and gave us directions to Times Square, the subways, etc. The staff even let us stay until 2:00 to check out.

The rooms are generally clean and modern. Simple, nice, a good place to stay. Location is near times square, subways, rockefeller, and United Nations. All within walking distance.

The second floor lounge is great- snacks in the afternoon around 5 or 6, and pastries in the morning before 10, perfect for a light breakfast. They also offer juice in the afternoons in the main lobby. Breakfast in the hotel, though is quite expensive, and can't get much.

Elevators are kind of slow.

Overall, nice stay, pleasant, will def come back next time.

Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
Rio de Janeiro, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Reviewed 14 August 2012

My husband and I are well travelled and therefore very difficult to please. We stayed in 48 Lex Hyatt for a while and we absolutely loved it! The hotel is brand new, modern, clean and 100% New York! BRASS restaurant downstairs has the best brunch and burger with truffle fries in the City! However the best feature of this hotel, which clearly means a lot to long stayers, is staff. We used to spend hours in the Lounge chatting with concierges, guest relations, receptionists etc. They are super cool, friendly, knowledgeable, always there to help! I truly felt they were our friends.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple