“Nice property, good location, interesting layout” 4 of 5 bubbles

Hotel 48LEX New York
Ranked #84 of 467 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersSilver level
Saint Louis, Missouri
“Nice property, good location, interesting layout”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 September 2012

I just checked out of the new Hyatt 48 Lex this morning.

The hotel is nice. The lobby is extremely small, bordering on uncomfortably tight when there are more than a few people in the 'room'.

There is a 'lounge' on the second floor that has complimentary coffee and such. I liked this area as a place to escape. Very nice.

The rooms are very contemporary, very nice. Layouts and floorplans are a bit odd...and seem to vary greatly from room to room.

The feel of this hotel mirrors that of a new Andaz, albeit much smaller.

Although my stay here was 'fine', i have to admit that i would probably prefer to return to the Andaz on 5th next time. Rooms are larger, lobby and facilities more extensive...similar location.

Tommy at the front desk was the strongest asset to this hotel. He was always attentive, friendly, and went out of his way to make you feel welcome. I must say that other staff didnt meet the standard that he set at 'check in'. They were all fine, but nothing special.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Brian T, Manager at Hotel 48LEX New York, responded to this review, 17 September 2012
JamesE339-

Thanks for staying with us. You are absolutely correct, Tommy is an outstand associate and we are very lucky to have him. We do hope to welcome you back in the near future.

Assistant General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (260)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
London
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 September 2012

I stayed here on business. The location is great and the rooms well appointed and very comfortable and clean. However at this price level I expect better on the service front - even in NYC.

I had free wifi in my room rate but every 24 hrs I had to go through a convoluted log in process that need my email address etc - this really should be a quicker, more efficient process.

Reception staff - variable -some of them were great, some of them woeful and the latter especially true of the evening/night shift. Bedroom walls are thin and you can hear what is going on in the other rooms next to you. I had to request cotton buds/q-tips/cotton wool and shower cap - these should be standard in all rooms but I was told only provided in suites. They did bring them when I asked - but I should not have to ask in a 4 star hotel. Also housekeeping was hit and miss depending on who did it - sometimes they replenished all toiletries/sometimes they did not. Sometimes turn down service gave you chocolates/sometimes they did not - you get the picture. However rooms were always very clean.

Lounge - it was okay but not particularly special and nothing like the Hyatt Club lounges, so if you are a Hyatt Club member you have nothing different. What also irritated me is that every morning I had to ask for them to put regular milk out for coffee (no I did not want it from the machine - I wanted it fresh from the fridge) vs the half and half provided. I cannot believe I was the only one that wanted milk in the mornings.

This hotel feels like it is trying to be a W but it really does not live up to that. Just be a (better) Hyatt.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank tinkers234
Brian T, Manager at Hotel 48LEX New York, responded to this review, 4 October 2012
inkers234-

Thanks for your comments! I will be speaking w/ all departments involved to have these issues corrected. In addtion, I am so sorry to hear that you didnt enjoy your stay with us.

Just to comment on a few of your concerns...

Milk Comment: The coffee machine on the second floor is filled throughout the day w/ fresh milk. If anyone would like addtional milk, we have no issues getting some from the kitchen.

W Comment: We are not trying to be a "W", we are just trying to be ourselves.

Hope to welcome you back in the future...

Brian
Edgewood, New Mexico
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 September 2012

Hyatt 48 Lex is just two blocks from the subway and about five from Grand Central Station. It was very easy to get both downtown and in other areas around the city. The staff were very helpful and professional and the 2nd floor lobby was great. The room was small and the elevator scary. (It stopped working a couple of times while we were there but we didn't, thankfully, get stuck...) I would recommend this hotel for someone looking for a reasonably priced and centrally located location.

Room Tip: This boutique hotel has a limited number of rooms per floor. We ended up with a smaller room though...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank LovelyPlaces
LovelyPlaces,

Thank you for staying with us and all your kind words.

*As far as your elevator concerns, our elevators are maintained by both our hotel engineers and a thrid party elevator company on a weekly, and monthly basis.

Regards,

LA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 September 2012

Great hotel! Good mid-town location. Nice walking distance to Central Park, Times Square, stores and restaurants. The hotel seems new or freshly remodeled. Although I actually don't mind chain hotels, especially for business trips, this one is a Hyatt property but had a boutique feel to it and it was personable. The decor is modern and very comfortable. My room was fairly spacious for NY, very clean, smelled nice and fresh when I walked in. I loved the furniture, very modern but not over the top. Nice, comfy bed, large screen flat HDTV (had a welcome message on the screen with my name on it - nice touch!), a kitchenette with a wine bar, fridge, microwave and a mini dishwasher. I did not request any of this, so I was under the impression that all rooms are equipped with such amenities.  I felt so bad that I was only staying one night and all by myself so I did not get to fully enjoy it. I told my husband on the phone that we must stay here when we visit NY together. Loved the bathroom too. Nice lighting with two settings, great, powerful hair dryer (my pet peeve since I have a lot of hair and really struggle in hotel rooms). Couple of watch-outs: I could use a little more counter space in the bathroom. It had some but not plenty. And, for those who prefer baths to a shower, my room only had a shower. I did not mind it, since I always take showers anyway and this one is really neat, but I thought it was worth mentioning.  The hotel rate was also very, very reasonable for NY in the middle of the Fashion Week.

I did not get to try the restaurant as I already had plans for the evening. One thing that I missed was a gift shop. Honestly, now that I think of it, I really didn't ask if they had it, but I did not see it, assumed they didn't so on my way back from dinner, I stopped by a store around the corner to get some water for the room.

There is a lounge room on the second floor that offers a few complimentary items such as fresh pastry in the morning which I enjoyed the next day before checking out.

The staff was absolutely amazing! When I first checked in I came straight from the airport and was stuck in traffic for almost two hours, tired, thirsty and cranky. But as soon as I came in, two very attentive staff members quickly processed the check-in, asked about my preferences, gave me a room on a high floor per my request, assured me that the hotel has double window panes so I would not hear the traffic, gave me a glass of fresh lemonade and whisked me away to my room in a matter of a couple of minutes. I felt like I just took a good nap - it was so nice. Then, later that night, I received an e-mail from the hotel manager asking me how everything was and if I needed anything else. They really made me feel like I was the only guest in the hotel. Unfortunately, I only stayed one night this time but will definitely come back!

• Stayed September 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank ann7544
Brian T, Manager at Hotel 48LEX New York, responded to this review, 13 September 2012
ann7544-

Thank you for taking the time to post about your most recent stay with us at the Hyatt 48 Lex. We are extremely happy that you enjoyed your stay, and we hope to welcome you back in the future.

BEst,

Berkeley
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 September 2012

We just completed a 4 night stay combining points and cash. The hotel is really nice. The rooms are comfortable, well appointed, and up-to-date (nice HDTV, plenty of outlets, bedside switches, etc.). The Lexington Lounge on the second floor was a treat with complementary snacks, a variety of newspapers, and comfortable seating. Best of all was the staff. Everyone was very friendly. We mentioned that this was an anniversary and Jessica Del Valle, the front desk manager, sent up a bottle of wine and some cupcakes. Just icing on the cake....

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Paul N
Paul0747-

Happy Anniversary, and thanks for spending it with us. I am glad to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and we hope you return soon.

Kenosha
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 September 2012

Good service - held room even though checked in at 2am after being at US Open all night.

Good location - short walking distance to Grand Central, Times Square and others.

Good value - used points, and as of the time of this review, still a category 4 hotel. Hope it stays that way, although heard rumors it may be reclassified as the hotel has only been open for a short time.

Good room - upgraded to corner suite, and provided pull out couch upon request.

Good lounge - free juice, coffee, fruit and pastries every morning.

Good concierge - good recommendation for food and good instructions.

Good decor - clearly a newer hotel with a nice contemporary feel.

Good bed/bedroom - comfortable bed

Overall, good experience. Would certainly go again even though had three small issues (elevator was down two separate times; shower temp fluctuated slightly every shower, was billed $10 for mini bar use even though never used [Hyatt agreed to reverse charges]).

Room Tip: Request free pull out sofa room (not all rooms had them) if you need it.
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
PaulR-

Thanks for staying with us, sorry about the mini bar miss posting. I hope all was corrected. If I can provide any addtional assistance please let me know.

N.Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 September 2012

Another terrific stay at the Hyatt . From our warm greeting when we enter the doors....to Carlos at the registration desk.....who remembered us from a previous visit, perfect. We arrived early, but Carlos was eager to get us a room and enjoy our stay. Our room was large with a great view of the city. Very clean and anything we needed was promptly brought to our room. The lounge on 2nd floor was great for a complimentary beverage and snack. Computers are available to print boarding passes. The staff at this hotel are always smiling and genuinlly willing to help.
Definitely the place to say again.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thanks for your comments!

Carlos is a great asset to the Hyatt 48 Lex. We are extremely lucky to have him.

Glad to hear you enjoyed your stay and we look forward to welcoming you back.