“A total gem!”

Hotel 48LEX New York
Ranked #66 of 473 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 13 April 2014

I needed to be in midtown Manhattan for a few nights and stumbled upon this relatively new Hyatt. I have to say I have always been a fan of Hyatt hotels and this one is about the best I have stayed at.

It is tiny. Only a few rooms per floor. The rooms are small too but this is Manhattan! My room - a corner suite - was incredibly well equipped. Nice little sitting room with Nespresso machine and mini dishwasher, fridge etc. Small bedroom with floor to ceiling windows with dramatic views onto other tall buildings which were especially beautiful at night. Very comfortable bed. Nice bathroom with large shower. And totally quiet aside from the occasional horn or siren from the streets. No noise from other rooms at all.

The Lexicon Lounge is a real bonus. Open 24hrs with a large espresso machine, hot and cold water and fruit available. In the morning they put out bagels and muffins as well as juice. In the evenings it is cheese and crackers, with wine available if you like. For a woman "of a certain age" travelling alone this was a real haven to sit and relax in.

The real stars of the show though are the staff! Everyone was so friendly and welcoming and helpful. When I arrived right off the plane from Europe the man who checked me in told me abot the Lexicon Lounge on the second floor and I mentioned that I would most likely go there and get a glass of water. He then insisted on getting it and bringing it to me in my room! How kind was that? The Concierge, Vanessa, was a fount of information and seemed able to answer any question put to her. I was really sad to say goodbye to them when I left.

I don't go to NYC very often but from now on the 48 Lex will be my "Club" in Manhattan! Many thanks to all the staff who made my stay so incredibly nice.

Room Tip: The Corner Suite was wonderful...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
Rob G, General Manager at Hotel 48LEX New York, responded to this reviewResponded 15 April 2014

Hi Hambagahle!

Wow, what a fantastic review! I think we have a "star" staff as well, I could not have said it better myself. Our team works incredibly hard to make sure our guests feel at home during their short time at Hyatt 48 Lex. I am glad you enjoyed your stay :)

Please come visit us again soon!

Robert Gormley

Write a ReviewReviews (1,594)

Reviewed 9 April 2014

Stayed at this Hotel for the first time due to the proximity to my office. Staff was extremely helpful and exceeded my expectations. Layout of the room was superb, modern décor, new technology, and very good work space/desk area. The "living room" on the second floor is a gem, great place to unwind or grab a cup of coffee. The restaurant was very accommodating and the food excellent. Perfect for business or weekend trip. Will definitely return.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Beverly646
Rob G, General Manager at Hotel 48LEX New York, responded to this reviewResponded 11 April 2014

Dear Beverly646,

I am so glad to hear that you would recommend Hyatt 48 Lex! I love hearing that our team's customer service "exceeded" your expectations. Our team works hard to ensure every guest has the best possible experience.

We hope to welcome you back soon!

Reviewed 9 April 2014

Great location, beautiful rooms and friendly staff. I've stayed at the Waldorf across the street and while this hotel does not give you quite the same level of 5 star service (remember it is rated at 4.5 stars) everything else about it makes it a nicer place to stay. My suite was modern and very comfortable with very nice views. But as for the service I mentioned, the house keeping could use the most improvement. It seemed like the rooms were tidied but never really cleaned. Other then that a great hotel.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank WorldTraveller570

Hello WorldTraveller570!

Thanks for the shout out! I am happy to hear you enjoyed your most recent stay here at Hyatt 48 Lex. In regards to the housekeeping department- I have sent your feedback to our Director of Housekeeping in order to help create a five star experience for our guests.

Thanks for taking the time to post, we hope to welcome you back again soon.

Reviewed 7 April 2014

Rooms are good sized for new York and the staff friendly A new hotel so everything is clean and up to date. Health club is a bit small but a great little hotel for a business stay I would recommend a stay there and try to get one of the corner rooms

Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank jonToronto
Rob G, General Manager at Hotel 48LEX New York, responded to this reviewResponded 9 April 2014

Hello jonToronto,

Thanks for the shout out and recommendation!

Should your travels bring you back to NYC we would love to welcome you back as our guest!

Reviewed 6 April 2014

I've been here for less than 24 hours now and I'm already regretting it.

3 issues so far:

1) We went out from 11am to 7pm during which time the room wasn't serviced. Offering to do this once we're back and using the room isn't helpful. It's a basic requirement of any hotel to offer clean and serviced rooms.

2) The in-room safe failed and had to be opened by an engineer. He was polite and courteous but it wasted an hour of our time and It turned out the 'safe' wasn't so safe after all as it hadn't been secured to anything when installed.

3) I sent an enquiry to the concierge on 2nd April. After 2 further prompts I received a response on 7th April, too late to be of any use.

The manager offered me Hyatt points as compensation - declined as too little too late.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
3  Thank Travel_Writer_10101
Rob G, General Manager at Hotel 48LEX New York, responded to this reviewResponded 26 May 2014

Jonathan F,

I am glad that we were able to speak about your issues in person before you departed our hotel. Once again I sincerely apologize for the inconveniences you experienced during your stay as that is not a typical Hyatt 48 Lex experience.

You have my card so please do not hesitate to reach out to me personally should you wish to discuss matters further.

All my best,

Reviewed 5 April 2014

I work in NYC but live in CT, so when trying to find a place to stay in the city for a night, i try to to find a nice stay with good value. The Hyatt 48 Lex did not disappoint. Conveniently located near Grand Central, this boutique hotel offers service and amenities found in much more expensive properties. I felt that the level of service with that of 5-Star properties where I have stayed, including the JW Marriotts, Waldorf Astorias, Ritz Carltons, and Conrads. Upon arrival, I was greeted by Kelsey (?) at the 2 desk station in the reception area/ elevator bank. There isn't a sitting area on the ground level; it is located on the second level. As it was my first stay with them, Kelsey made a fine presentation of the amenities, services, and offerings of the property. They were offering wine at the reception area that night which was wonderful. I also hat the opportunity to work with another gentleman whose name escapes me. He was the utmost professional and was offering advice and directions to others while I was there.

The room was clean and well-appointed. Mini-bar with many offerings, robe for use, comfortable bed. floor to ceiling window. plenty of e-outlets. Again, a tremendous offering considering the price I had paid. decent size and well laid out.

in the morning - the second floor lounge provides a continental-style breakfast with juice, coffee, backed goods, and fruits. Just enough to get your day started. What was a pleasant surprise was that the coffee wasn't some pre brewed carafe or pot, it was a expresso machine that made expresso, latte, cappuccino, hot chocolate and a few more. Also the orange juice in the morning, my wife and I are pretty sure was freshly-squeezed! again to start your morning with a cappucino, fresh OJ, a bagel/muffin and fruit would be $15-$20 offering at a 5-star hotel. Not here - it was complimentary.

I would highly recommend this hotel for its convenient location, amenities, and of course the service. If I should find myself in need of a NYC hotel, it will likely be this one again.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family

Greetings O M,

Thank you for the kind accolades! I am thrilled to hear your had a fantastic experience at Hyatt 48 Lex and enjoyed the amenities of the hotel, especially the second floor "Lexicon Lounge". I can't wait to share your wonderful comments with the team!

We hope to welcome you back as our guest again soon!

Reviewed 4 April 2014

Very attentive staff. Small boutique feel. Lexington Brass the restaurant is decent with nice wait staff. Carlos at the front desk makes you fell welcomed. Highly recommend this place. Location is near Grand Central and subways so hard to beat location.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business

Hello JMeehan207,

Thanks for the five star review! Our team works hard to ensure our guests have a memorable experience and I am happy to know you felt very welcomed at Hyatt 48 Lex.

Come see us again soon!