“Small and friendly in Midtown”

Hotel 48LEX New York
Ranked #64 of 471 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 5 July 2014

Lounge on first floor was convenient for drinks. Ground floor bar and restaurant was busy, with lots of locals after work. Service quick and efficient with mid range prices. Cost of wi fi per device was too expensive in 2014. Over the top. Rooms very comfortable with great bathroom. Good wine list

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Rob G, General Manager at Hotel 48LEX New York, responded to this reviewResponded 8 July 2014

Thank you for the shout out, Yarra3002! In regards to Wi-Fi, once you become a Platinum member with our loyalty program, Gold Passport, you will receive complimentary Wi-Fi upon every stay.

Thanks again for the review,

Rob

Write a ReviewReviews (1,575)

Reviewed 4 July 2014

Very comfortable hotel with very accommodating staff. My first trip to New York and the location couldn't have been better. Easy walking distance to Grand Central Station, Rockerfeller Center, Empire State Building, Times Square. Only minor complaint is the length of time we had to wait for a lift on occasion - there are only two.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Kim K
Rob G, General Manager at Hotel 48LEX New York, responded to this reviewResponded 5 July 2014

I am so happy you enjoyed your stay with us, Kim K, and thank you for the review!

Reviewed 3 July 2014

I stayed here for 1 night during a short stay in the city. I am a Hyatt Diamond member.

Location: The hotel is located on the NE corner of 48th Street and Lexington right in midtown Manhattan. I came in from Newark (EWR) and took the bus to Grand Central Terminal. From there, it was a quick 5-10 minute walk to the hotel. Due to the central location of the hotel, you can walk to many places within 10-20 minutes (Times Square, Central Park, Rockefeller Center). The nearest subway station is at 51st and Lexington, which is less than 5 minutes away. It's not in an extremely busy area, which is nice if you want to get around.

Check-In: I arrived on a Friday afternoon and there were a couple of other guests ahead of me, so I had to wait a few minutes. The lobby is pretty small and consists of a small entryway and a desk for 2 employees. It's nothing to be concerned about seeing how it is a smaller hotel. The front desk person, Johnny, was very friendly and efficient in describing the amenities of the hotel.

Property/Room: The hotel itself is in great condition and everything looked relatively new. It is a smaller hotel with only a few rooms per floor. This gave it a more quiet feel, which was nice. I booked a Studio Queen room and was upgraded to an Executive King due to my Hyatt Diamond status. The room was located on the 16th floor and faced Lexington. The furnishings were modern and well appointed. The first thing I noticed was how quiet the room was. I am not sure if it was because I was on the 16th floor or if the windows were soundproofed. I was surprised to find a small fridge, microwave, and even a mini dishwasher. The bathroom was nice as well, with a refreshing shower. The toiletries were C.O. Bigelow brand. Note the bathroom does have a sliding door that doesn't close completely. So if for some reason you need privacy from another guest, you might find it a little awkward. The king bed was very comfortable. The only minor negative I have for the room was the fact that the pillows had stains and multiple strands of hair from the previous guest. I notified the front desk and they took care of it.

Amenities: One of the nice features of this hotel is a lounge on the 2nd floor that is open to all guests. They serve light refreshments and snacks throughout the day. As a Hyatt Diamond member, I was given a $25 voucher to spend at the restaurant next door, Lexington Brass. This would normally be used for breakfast, but it is apparently valid for lunch or dinner as well. Due to my short stay, I did not take advantage of other amenities at this property.

Service: The service from the front desk staff was excellent. I was a little concerned about the housekeeping standards, but they fixed the issue with a smile.

Overall, it was a great stay. The price was better than many other comparable hotels in the area. I would not hesitate to stay here again the next time I am in NYC.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
3  Thank IntlSalesGuy

Dear IntlSalesGuy,

Thanks for the excellent review and recommendation! Your loyalty to Hyatt is of the upmost importance to us and I am thrilled to hear Hyatt 48 Lex did not disappoint. Thanks again!

Reviewed 3 July 2014

My sister and I ended up at this quaint "Boutique Hotel" and were so PLESANTLY SURPRISED! It was so much BETTER THAN EXPECTED! We were greeted by amazing staff who were kind, professional, and even registered us in early with an upgrade to a King Size from a Queen.

The hotel even smells WONDERFUL and fresh - almost peaceful, when you walk in the building. The room was beautiful, clean and so fresh. Bathroom was immaculate, wifi was complimentary. When the young man who checked us in, Raymond - heard that we had a horrible stay at a very expensive place in East Hampton he was so sweet! He sent a piccolo of wine and a bowl of nuts to our room with a personally hand written note welcoming us to the Hyatt 48Lex and wishing a relaxing and comfortable stay. Who does that today!? So incredible.

We next met and dealt with Christopher who helped us with directions and information about the city. John checked us out the next day and was a delight!

Our luggage was held in storage for the day while we were sight seeing and when we returned a little early for our limo, we were told to please make use of the second floor lounge to have a refreshment and sit for a while.

INCREDIBLE, AMAZING SERVICE ALL AROUND. Couldn't have asked for a better stay. This will now be my ONE AND ONLY choice of hotel in New York.

Thanks Hyatt great job!

Room Tip: I really don't know what to say! We had a great room, not sure what they will all look like. I...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Lorraine G
Rob G, General Manager at Hotel 48LEX New York, responded to this reviewResponded 9 July 2014

Thank you for making Hyatt 48 Lex your choice hotel in New York City, Lorraine G! I can't thank you enough for your kind comments about our hotel and wonderful team. I can't wait to share and celebrate your review with everyone!

Thanks again,

Reviewed 2 July 2014

I was lucky enough to visit New York for work for the first time and a co-worker recommended this hotel.

It was perfectly located for me as the office was around the corner on Park Avenue.

The hotel has a very modern, boutique style and the room I had (a Deluxe King I believe) was huge - and so was the shower!
All mod-cons were present and the bed was very comfortable.

Staff were uniformly friendly and helpful towards this "Englishman in New York".

The lounge on the 2nd floor is a great place to chill with a free juice or coffee and there are free pastries and fruit for a quick "grab and go" breakfast.

Overall an excellent and comfortable stay and I would happily stay there again.

(Room booked via British Airways.)

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank PoolePerson
Reviewed 30 June 2014

This gem of a Hyatt is located at 48th and Lex- in midtown without the $500+ a night price point of many of the midtown hotels.

The lounge hours are good and the off the main north/ south ( The entrance is on 48th street) is nice in congested midtown. You can get your bag out without fear of being run over.

Room Tip: Stay on the fourth floor and you get a terrace room with incredible sense of the city outdoors with...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Rob G, General Manager at Hotel 48LEX New York, responded to this reviewResponded 1 July 2014

Thank you for the five star review, Julia M! I am so glad you enjoyed your Terrace room. Hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed 30 June 2014

my husband and i stayed here on our 3rd trip to new york - i picked this hotel as told not too big and very personal from previous trip advisor travellers. our previous hotles in NYC had been big and very busy.
we were not disappointed the room was excelent - 14th floor and the view to the street good with very little noise at all. the bed was amazing and the pillows fantastic - the room had 2 TVs but problem with the remote on one -( that is the only complaint !!!!!)
the staff in reception and on the 2nd floor very helpful and willing and provided my husband and i with a bottle of wine for our anniversary. the also arrange the sedan to take us back to JFK and i may say worth that extra money we paid.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear maxine1961,

Thank you for choosing Hyatt 48 Lex to celebrate such a special occasion. I love hearing that you had such wonderful interactions with our team!

Thanks,