“Beautiful hotel but not exactly what we were looking for”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel Americano

Hotel Americano
Ranked #382 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Cape Town Central, South Africa
“Beautiful hotel but not exactly what we were looking for”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2013

I am in two minds about the Americano.
The room is beautifully designed, but is not very practical. If you prefer to lie on the bed with your romantic partner staring at the funky furniture, no problem. If you need to move around the room, use the desk and have a good reading light (the lighting overall is atmospheric, rather than illuminating), then maybe this is not the hotel for you.
The light switches remained a mystery for the duration of our stay and a faulty bulb in the passage lading into the room remained broken for the duration of our stay (after we reported it on arrival).
We stayed in a Studio, which is a lot bigger than the standard room.
The bathroom has a miniscule basin, with almost no space around it for your toiletry bag or anything else.
The alcove containing the bed was beautiful and the bed very comfortable.
The rooftop bar and pool are very cool and fun and I think the hotel is ideal if you are a big socialiser. We aren’t. Apart from the bar on the roof there are a number of clubs in the area so it can get noisy at night.
There are also a lot of galleries around and the hotel is an ideal base from which to explore them and the HighLine (a feat of modern architecture and ingenuity) which is accessible from the streets on either side of the hotel. Other than that it was a bit out of the way for us.
There is nothing wrong with the Americano and my ambivalent review is more a reflection of my taste rather than the quality of the hotel. Special mention also goes to the Leila at the front desk who went far beyond the requirements of the job to help me out with something. Thank you again!

Room Tip: Rooms higher up are noisier due their proximity to the rooftop bar and don't necessarily add any...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank JezebelleH
Megi D, Marketing & Communications at Hotel Americano, responded to this review, 2 August 2013
Hi Jezebelle,

Thank you for staying with us, and we appreciate your feedback. Hôtel Americano is inspired by it's West Chelsea surroundings, and we understand that might not appeal to everyone. However, are happy to hear Leila made such a wonderful impression on you.

Thank you once again.

Hôtel Americano

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
Dublin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2013

My husband and I were fortunate to have our wedding reception on the roof of the Hotel Americano in June, and it was the best day of our lives, all thanks to this amazing place...

Having looked at 10 hotels with roof bars, we opted on the Hotel Americano because of those amazing views.
We didn't tell our guests until during the ceremony so that no one would google the roof.
Not only were we blown away, but every one of our guests said it was the most amazing place...
The staff were outstanding, every single one of them!

One point I would really like to make. We actually stayed in the Standard hotel because of the good reviews, however,mon the night of our wedding, the Americano gave us a room, we were put off staying there initially by the bento style rooms and Japanese style beds.... What a huge mistake... The rooms are awesome, the beds are so comfortable and our biggest regret is giving the standard ( with its crazy small rooms) our money when the Americano is far superior....

In short... Go here.. You will love every second...
Thanks to everyone with our sincere thanks
Paul and Anthony. From Ireland. You guys made our wedding extra special and for that we are very greatful

Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Hello,

First, we would like to Congratulate you and wish you many years of Wedded bliss. Thank you for choosing us as your wedding location. We are so happy that your day went as you hoped, and we do welcome you both back whenever you are in New York. Perhaps for your 1 Year anniversary? Please contact me directly, and I would love to set up your future reservation personally, MDoci@hotel-americano.com

Very best,
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2013

Martin and I, along with a handful of friends, booked a last-minute room at the Hotel Americano for Thursday, July 4, 2013. We selected the hotel primarily because it has a rooftop swimming pool and July 4 was going to be a very hot and humid day in NYC.

It’s a terrific hotel for what it is.

The front desk staff and bellmen were friendly and professional.

The pool, though tiny, served its purpose. The rooftop deck has a limited amount of shaded space too, which was very appreciated given the sun and heat. The poolside bar and food menu was solid, and the hamburger I ordered was delicious. The burger arrived over-cooked, so I sent it back and they returned promptly with a delicious burger.

The poolside wait staff needs to step-up its game a bit. They were largely inattentive, though it was a very busy holiday scene for them.

The restaurant on the first floor, The Americano, was fabulous and I will review that separately.

The room was sufficiently spacious (not overly generous) and comfortable. The king-size bed was a low platform bed, so if you have difficulty navigating such things, beware. I thought the bed was very comfortable.

I would happily return to this reasonably-priced and comfortable hotel.

Winner.

Room Tip: Do not choose this hotel for the fabulous views from rooms. Choose this hotel for its fun location...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Randall K
Hi Randall,

Thank you so much for your wonderful review and great feedback. So happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay, and we hope you will stay with us in the future.

Jeddah, Saudi Arabia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2013

Americano is one of my favorite hotels in NYC for many reasons: Location is Good, beautiful modern design from the outside, staff are so friendly, regardless how small the rooms, they are very well designed and they most comfortable beds ever. Americano is an experience

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank nasharahmed
Megi D, Marketing & Communications at Hotel Americano, responded to this review, 8 July 2013
Hi Jeddah,

Thank you for your wonderful review. We are so happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us, and we would love for you to stay with us again. Please don't hesitate to email me on your next visit to NYC and I would be delighted to take care of your reservation personally MDoci@hotel-americano.com

Vail, Colorado
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2013

The rooms are small but quaint with all the amenities and comforts. The location is great in a quiet part of the city With many galleries in the up- and coming neighborhood. Staff is very friendly and knowledgeable.
Try to get a room on lower floors because you will hear people on the rooftop bar well after midnight.
The designer obviously travels without a toiletry bag as the bathroom offers a whopping three inch shelf for your toiletries.. Already take up by their great stuff.. I am not a fan of putting your toiletry bag on the toilet while I need to use it.. And the bean bag..
Overall a great experience!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Megi D, Marketing & Communications at Hotel Americano, responded to this review, 27 June 2013
Hi Peter,

Thank you so much for your review. We are happy you enjoyed your stay. Our rooms are minimalistic, and that translates in the bathroom as well. Rest assured, all your amenities are still there.

Thank you again for your review.

New Haven, Connecticut
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2013

The four star rating is an average: my husband gives it a five, I give it a three. Here is why:

This is a unique boutique hotel in manhattan. We went for a night in the city with our kids, age 8 and 10. My husband found this last minute on Hotels.com. When we arrived we were surprised to find that there are no rooms with two beds, and we were told, no way to accommodate our family of four in one room. So, we had to get two rooms instead of one: forget the great deal we thought we had!

Later, my husband checked the website, and it really is not explicitly clear that there is no way to accommodate more then 2 people in one room. The studio, in particular, looks like it has a sofa, so why couldn't that be a sleeper sofa? In hindsight we decided we could have fit in one room, with some extra cushions or an extra small mattress on the platform. Regardless, the point is, this isn't really a family hotel. Although there were a lot of tourists, they were younger or traveling without kids. It is great for what it is, but if you are looking for a family place this is not it- despite the pool! (My kids loved it though- they thought the platform bed was way cool!).

That being said, I can very well imagine my husband and I enjoying a getaway at the Hotel Americano, with the rooftop bar and pool, and the up and coming neighborhood. He occasionally has to stay in the city for a night or two for work, and he has announced that this is his new favorite place. He loved the modern look, the location, the fact that it was a small place. I wasn't so in love with it- outside of the bar and pool, when it came to sleeping I didn't think the platform bed was very comfortable, and the only chair was the bean bag, so there weren't great seating options. And, I personally am not a fan of rain showers.

If you do stay here don't take a 9th floor room. It is right under the roof- with the bar and pool- and the music was extremely loud until 1:20 am. Since we were there with kids, we weren't on the roof enjoying the scene, but trying to sleep through the noise. Fortunately, they were so exhausted, they fell asleep anyway!

Room Tip: Don't be near the top- the noise from the nightclub on the roof is very loud.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank tinaz1223
Hi Tina,

I am sorry to hear you did not find your stay enjoyable. As you saw on our website, although we did not mentioned that we could not sleep more than two people, it only lists three room types with photos (Queen, King, Studio w/ King Bed.) We do occasionally add a twin bed only to the studio, if there is a request, but our rooms generally never suit four people. As far as our Studio Suite goes, the sofa is not meant to be a 'sleeper sofa' because it would interfere with the design of the studio. We are happy to hear your husband and children enjoyed the stay, and we would not rule ourselves out of being a family hotel. That really depends on the family, and what they are looking for during their travel.

We would love to have you and your husband stay with us once again, and have the opportunity to turn around your thoughts on us. Please feel free to contact me personally for your future booking MDoci@hotel-americano.com

Tokyo, Japan
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2013

Ok, I don't like writing a negative review, but today I need to do it. Because I want business people or people who are "adult enough to like quiet night" know that it's not your place to go.
If you are not a dancing queen or a king who usually dance till the sun comes up, I don't recommend this hotel.

It looks cool from their website, but who can imagine that I hear loud disco sound from my bed and people screaming around until 1:30am. And how could I imagine that I would hear it again before 11am in the morning?

They are considered as a "cool" hotel, and it actually looks cool. I liked the small cafe on the first floor, staffs were friendly and helpful. But, just like other people wrote, to me, it looks like made just to look cool and not comfortable to use/stay. Its sink is too tiny. Your toilet paper is on your back, and you need to twist your waist in strange way, when you need it. The shower and the sink are too close and once you use the shower, the floor will be all wet .... Right in front of the tiny bath room is the door to the out side ...which made me feel weird.

I wanted to love this hotel because I stayed in many hotels in Manhattan (over 25 hotels), and in Tokyo or other cities in Japan (over 20 ) too , and I know that we need to understand in Manhattan and Tokyo, we sometimes get the smallest room with the highest price, but the design can help it to help us feel more comfortable...

I am from Japan and I heard from my friends that they tried to use Japanese style when they designed this hotel.. but...I am sorry, there are so many things I can complain!

Also, please be careful if you need to work or eat in your room. In my case, they didn't have any tables or desks or chairs in the room. I needed to sit on a futon bed and use a small stool as a table...which was not comfortable at all ...

Room Tip: Just ask them if they have a quiet room which doesn't have disco sound.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank MyMM0718
Hi,

Thank you for taking the time to give us some feedback on your stay. We are very sorry to hear you were disappointed in you stay. As far as the noise goes, New York City has regulations for noise in outdoor areas, such as our rooftop, so our 'Disco' music cannot be too loud by law. Not to mention, it is just a restaurant on the roof, not a nightclub and it doesn't go past 1am. Regardless, our staff would be happy to accommodate anyone to a different room if noise is still a problem.

I am surprised you did not recognize the Japanese urban Ryokan style in our room, being that you are from Japan. Our beds are also full mattresses, and might I say, far from being futons. Still, I am very sorry you did not enjoy your stay with us, but thank you once again for the review.