“Amazingly Uncomfortable!!”
Review of Hotel Americano

Hotel Americano
Ranked #385 of 468 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 30 July 2014

The first "recent review" on the page on which I am writing this is entitled "Amazingly Comfortable!" All I can say is that the reviewer has a unusually low bar for comfort! Let me attempt to articulate my discomfort. The elevator (which even the "Amazingly Comfortable" reviewer said needed instructions to operate) was dark, hot and slow. The room, when we finally reached it, needed to be powered up with your room "key." The bed, which has been described as a "platform bed" is actually situated on a wall to wall wooden structure. A more precise description would be a mattress on the floor (see picture). The rest of the floor, which is reached after rolling, crawling and dragging oneself off the mattress, is concrete. That's right-concrete! Nary a rug or carpet to be found. The seating in the room (I use the term seating very loosely) consists of a beanbag chair which, rather than being filled with beans, appears to be filled with dry cement. The other seat is some sort of polyp covered with cheap carpeting that, I suppose, serves as the desk chair. There is also a hanging lamp situated near the mattress that, as far as I can tell, serves no useful purpose. It contains about a 5 watt bulb and is situated in a way that can only serve as an impediment to getting out of bed. There is no way that one could use the lamp to read or to serve any other useful purpose.

Assuming that one is able extricate oneself from the mattress, the next great adventure is the bathroom. It clearly falls into the "are you kidding me" category. The sink is approximately 12 inches in diameter (check out the picture if you think I am kidding) with the faucet protruding right to the center of the sink thus rendering it almost useless. It is not even as large as the average water fountain. As a sink it may be avant garde but it is a waste otherwise. The shower is also in a class by itself. Whether the person taking a shower can actually be seen by anyone else in the room is kind of a moot point. The person taking the shower sure feels that his "privates" are on open view. It may be a decorating conceit, but it sure makes taking a shower (or going to the potty) an uncomfortable experience. The shelf over the sink is about 3" deep. We spent the entire weekend worrying about breaking a glass on the concrete if we accidentally missed the tiny shelf. Also, the towel rack is about 6'3' off the floor. If you are short in stature, you might need stilts to reach the towels.

I will say that the hotel had a very nice rooftop bar with views of the city which seemed to be populated with many more people than the hotel had rooms for. It was also very noisy and the noise could be heard at all hours in our room on the 7th floor.

In the interest of fairness, I must point out that my wife and I are senior citizens who would have been much better served in the average Hampton Inn. This is clearly not a hotel designed for anyone over the age of 40. Obviously, based on some of the other reviews, there are many who will disagree with my assessment. All I can say is that we have stayed in hotels all over the world. I don't think I have ever stayed in a hotel where I was less comfortable. I suppose that some sort of design statement was being made. Clearly, the comfort of the guest was not a primary consideration in the design of this hotel.

Room Tip: Find another hotel
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank BigO8479
JPamericano, Director of Sales at Hotel Americano, responded to this reviewResponded 30 July 2014

Thank you so much for taking the time to provide your feedback. Although our rooms do not seem to be a good fit for you we are happy you enjoyed our rooftop. Please make sure to visit our rooftop again when you return to NYC!

There are newer reviews for Hotel Americano

Reviewed 28 July 2014

I stayed here about a month ago and was pleasantly surprised. I was escorted upstairs in the private guest elevator by one of the staff members. They quickly showed me how to operate the elevator and room lighting/AC with the key. Upon entering the room it did feel a little small but the functionality of the room makes up for the limited space. The Shower was amazing and the bed was incredible. I completely melted into the bed after a great night out. Its been a long time since I've slept that comfortably. The toiletries were amazing and the minibar selection was also pretty impressive. I'm looking forward to booking this hotel again, revisiting La Piscine and maybe exploring the rest of the Hotel. I'm super curious about El Privado and hope to be able to experience in the near future.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
JPamericano, Director of Sales at Hotel Americano, responded to this reviewResponded 29 July 2014

Thank you for this great review and we are so happy you enjoyed your time with us and a god night's rest! We are very pleased that you mentioned the functionality of the rooms. In New York we are only given so much space and we really strive to make the rooms comfortable for our guests with our floor to ceiling windows, minimal design, and cleanliness. It makes a big difference. It sounds like you had a great time taking advantage of the great food, drink, and views at La Piscine and please come back in the winter when the roof is full covered and still accessible with a different theme and menu. You can check out our website for any events we may be having at Americano and Privado after the summer. We look forward to seeing you very soon.

Reviewed 19 July 2014

Fantastic hotel with a cool ambience. Decent cafe on ground floor and fun bar on the roof with fantastic views. The rooms are cool with zen-like chambers for the beds. Will definitely book again on next trip to NY.

Room Tip: Worth getting a suite for the extra space, but corner rooms are quieter.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Ian M
JPamericano, Director of Sales at Hotel Americano, responded to this reviewResponded 21 July 2014

We are so happy you enjoyed your time with us and plan on returning soon. Please contact me directly for your next booking and we will assist with getting you the room you like best. Thank you for your return business!

Reviewed 15 July 2014

I recently moved out of the country from Chelsea, NYC, and on returning wanted to stay in my old neighborhood; having chosen Hotel Americano twice now, I have been impressed. Very personalized service; when the on line site looked booked for my dates I emailed a staffer (Angela) whom I met on my first stay; she asked her manager (Jaqueline) to find me a room, which she did - at a great rate, and they upgraded me at arrival. Funky, great suite. Love the rooftop lounge, great cappucino downstairs; great pizza across the street at Ovest. This place is chic without an attitude. Gracias amigas.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business

You are too kind and thank you so much for taking the time to write such nice words about Americano. We are always happy to help any way we can. We are aware you stay often and we hope you continue to come back. We look forward to seeing you very soon.

Reviewed 13 July 2014 via mobile

After staying at the Americano for a week I could write a long review, but let me summarize in - and + points:
- excellent bed, but since it's on the floor, it takes some effort to get out
- bathroom shelf and sink might be minimalistic, but is most of all not practical
- not enough clothing hangers
- the beanbag is old scool, in the way and again not practical
- the rooftop setting is monopolized by the 'beautiful' New Yorkers in the weekend. Too many of them with an arrogant attitude, loud music and apparently more important then hotel guests. The Americano is a trendy club then and not a hotel anymore.
- 88 dollars for a bottle of white wine on the rooftop terrace? Seriously?
- don't use Bluevan shuttle services for airport transportation: expensive, lousy service and unfriendly
- construction work right across the hotel makes for a lot of noise from early in the day
- I accidentally entered the wrong room with my key: assuming anyone can enter a room with their key I kept the 'do not disturb' sign on the door

+ personel is extremely polite, friendly and helpful
+ iPad in the room is definitely a big plus, as well as the free wifi
+ complimentary water in the lobby
+ walking distance from Penn station, even with luggage
+ safe neighbourhood, ideal to start exploring the city
+ the Italian restaurant/bar across the street serves good food and has an impressive choice of liquors
+ the rooftop bar, restaurant and pool definitely are an added value

All in all, I can advice this hotel, but there are a few things you should be aware of.

1  Thank Oerso

Thank you so much for taking the time to provide your feedback. There were negatives that you mentioned that the hotel would have been more than happy to assist with during your time here such as providing extra hangers, we would have been more than happy to extend our company we use for airport transfers instead of the shuttle you used, and at any point would have been happy to remove the bean bag and place a regular chair in the room for your use.

Thank you for pointing out the great things such as the service, location, ipads in the rooms, and our rooftop pools. We always appreciate all feedback because it can only make us more aware of what our clients would like and allows us to better ourselves. We hope to see you soon and please feel free to contact me directly if you would like to return and I will be more than happy to assist with your next direct booking.

Reviewed 7 July 2014

We stayed at the hotel over a holiday weekend and had an amazing time. The hotel is beautiful and amenities are great. The rooftop deck has a great pool and wonderful views of the city. The staff was so personable and attentive. Joe from the front desk was so accommodating and went above and beyond anything we expected. Angela was great and checked in with us and was available for anything we needed.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Michael G

Thank you so much for this incredible feedback and mentioning some of our staff that added to the great experience. We love to hear that the attention to detail from our staff and even all of the amenities we have to offer were just additions to a great weekend. We hope to see you again very soon and remember you can always enjoy the rooftop views in the winter as well when we enclose the roof. Thank you again!

Reviewed 30 June 2014

My Partner and i were in NY for 6 nights and our only regret was we weren't staying here the whole time. The hotel is located in what seems like an old industrial area which isn't the most appealing setting; however that all changes when you get inside. The room was amazing, the bed is possibly the comfiest coolest i have ever seen in a hotel. The rooftop pool and bar has the most amazing views of the city and is a great place to relax. All in all the hotel is a great stay. A huge thank you to Calvin who was extremely friendly and really made the stay, his explanations of the room was perfect and his help with organising a car to the airport made things very easy and stress free. We will definitely be back.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank simon04
JPamericano, Director of Sales at Hotel Americano, responded to this reviewResponded 30 June 2014

These are the reviews we love the most! It is great to know our teams' efforts have not gone unnoticed and if anything made your time in NYC better. Thank you especially for mentioning Calvin. It is always great to be able to share the praises of our guests with our team. We would love to have you back and if you loved Americano you will love all of our other properties. Hope to see you soon.