“Great Hotel”
Review of Dream Downtown

Dream Downtown
Ranked #128 of 473 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 13 December 2011

On our recent trip to NYC, we chose to stay at the Dream Downtown in Chelsea. It is a fantastic hotel in a great location. Easy access to the restaurants, nightlife and shopping of Chelsea and the Meat Packing district, right across from the Chelsea Market, and also close to the West Village. The hotel itself has a very cool vibe (I mean, where else can you sip on a cocktail in the lobby listening to great music and see up into the pool thanks to an acrylic bottom. And the club up on the roof, PhD, has amazing views of the Empire State building and the Midtown skyline.

As for the rooms, they are very nice and comfortable. We had a room with a nice view (similar to the view from PhD). It was very chic and modern, but very warm and comfortable at the same time.

Service is great. Everyone was very friendly and not 'too cool for school'. Really, my only complaint was it took too long to flag down a cocktail waitress on Saturday night... Hopefully they work on increasing the wait staff because people were at least 3 deep at the bar.

Room Tip: get a high floor with a north-facing view
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (3,717)

Reviewed 13 December 2011

We were in NYC for the first time. We are two past middle age ladies. We loved the Dream Hotel. The location was great. Loved Chelsea. Everyone at the hotel could not have been more gracious or helpful. Staying at the Dream made our trip to a fantastic city even more fantastic.

Diane Loyas and Ricky Palmquist

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 11 December 2011

I am a 25 year old educated understanding person. I use Expedia to book hotels all the time and have never been disappointed. Unfortunately this experience has changed my view. I booked the room for my husband and baby to stay there during a weekend tourist trip. This hotel needs a disclaimer. Those who aren't down for weed ( i heard a lady pronounce loudly how she forgot her weed in the room) and drinking all night don't stay here or expect even the smallest amount of respect for paying guests. This hotel is more worried about its image as a "club" or "lounge" then about the people paying 400 dollars plus a night for. Those people are treated second class. I heard THUMPING bass from 10-5am. I could hear the lyrics completely. Around 2 am I called the front desk and pleaded for them to get some control and ask the music to just be lowered not turned off just lowered. It got louder. I was offered to pack my baby and all my things up at 230 am to move rooms. The nit wit at the desk has clearly never had a child. I entered the room and the bathroom was filthy, with opened and used soap and shampoo and conditioners all over the shower. So that was never cleaned... Classy. Next I was trying to enter the hotel lobby/bar/lounge to go to my "bedroom" I use that term loosely cause you won't sleep on the 2nd 3rd or 4th floors, and was stopped by an idiot who asked me if I was on the "list" or if I had a reservation. I said I'm staying here he tried to give me a hassle. So again their own "guests" get hassled because entrance to their precious bar is more important then Hospitality. Last but certainly not least when I went down to complain the manager Carla who was the only half sensible person around and I had to wait in line because another disgruntled guest was doing the same. I know theyd like you to think most people are happy but that spoke volumnes. Poor Carla offered a free night in that hell hole, really I'm telling you how your hotel is a piece of crap and you offered me another stay no thanks. I'll take my complaints else where cause that poor girl was just reading off a script and offering no real apology. Next time I do this I'll make sure to do better research. These posts are all valid. Most of the reviews about the rooms are spot on, ie: mini bar, lights, prison bathroom, smell, attitude of staff and much more. I'm sure the raving reviews about the bar are true. Because that is what they are worried about. Not their PAYING guests. A night in this hell hole will only set you back 500 dollars. My suggestion, go uptown to a good resort, like the Marriott, Hilton or Hyatt and get real service. The times square Marriott is awesome!

• Stayed: December 2011
9  Thank Ashley2886
dreamdowntown, Managing Director at Dream Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 16 December 2011

Dear Ashley,

Please accept our profound apologies for what sounds like a less-than-stellar stay at Dream Downtown. We appreciate you taking the time to write to us about these issues. We can assure you we will look into them right away.

Regards,

Reviewed 9 December 2011

Right now I'm lying down on the comfiest bed in the world. This just so happens to be at the Dreams Downtown in New York. I am loving it! The beds are the softest in the world, the rooms are to die for, and the food and service is just amazing!!! This is my main place to stay whenever I go to New York. The service is just fabulous, and there is a young man here who knows everything about the neighborhood. I would recommend him, but I forgot his name. You see him there all the time. It is a very up to date hotel. You can control your room with a touchscreen tablet. Very dreamlike. The pool is nice, and very cool because you can see into the pool from the lobby. The pool is right above, and very nice.
Another thing that's good about this is the neighborhood. It is so nice and not loud and noisy like the main part of the city. It's a nice neighborhood area with tons of great restaurants. I definitely recommend the Grey Dog, a little cafe with wifi and great food, and a little mexican restaurant with amazing enchiladas! I forgot the name. Both aren't very fancy. They are both left of the entrance if you are heading out the door. just keep heading that way and they are a block down. There's also a Starbucks for early coffee goers. It's right across from the Mexican Restaurant.
The only complaint I have is the sound. I stayed on the eleventh floor of the hotel, and I was informed earlier that there was going to be a party on the roof. We could hear the music in our room. I didn't really mind it, and neither did my mom, but I'm not sure about the other guests in the hotel. I hope that they can someday fix this for future guests.
Overall, this was the best hotel in New York that I've ever been to.
P.S.- the guy who I recommend and whose name i forgot used to be a pro football player and his little boy is 5 months old. that's just if you really want to find him to learn more great shopping places and restaurants

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 9 December 2011

I've stayed at the Dream in midtown and other hip boutique hotels in NY. There is a lot about this hotel to like. The location is great if you want to be in Chelsea. The room isn't as tiny as, say, the Hudson, and there are actual drawers and a tiny closet. But there are several serious flaws. First, the walls are paper thin so you can hear every word of the tv or conversation in the next room or the hall. Every slamming door will wake you. The lobby is too hip and noisy to be occupied after about 5. And weirdly, the electronics are a genuine nightmare. We could not get the tv to work. All the lights in the place are programmed by buttons on the wall but there is NO WAY to turn off the overhead lights and still have a bedside or desk lamp on. All on or all off. This is insanity. We complained repeatedly but there is no solution. Also no way to turn the light off on the electric control panel on the phone. We had to cover it with a towel. At these prices they should have brought us a lamp to plug in but they said none was available. Also the euro style toilet is a good foot higher than a normal toilet. We won't be back at the Dream.

• Stayed: December 2011
2  Thank BuffCrone
dreamdowntown, Managing Director at Dream Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 7 March 2012

Dear BuffCrone,

For anyone reading Trip Advisor, my name is Michael Lindenbaum and I am the Managing Director of Dream Downtown. I am available to you anytime you have issues during your stay. I see that you complained to the Front Desk and I will send them a copy of this posting and of my response. But I want to make sure Trip Advisor readers know I am available and happy to help.

We should have told you that the lights will dim and eventually turn off by holding and pressing the button of the desired light. We should have told you that the phone faceplate will automatically dim as well, and if it doesn’t, that is because of a programming issue which is manageable.

With regards to the soundproofing, we are aware of this challenge and are starting an aggressive campaign to address this in the first quarter of 2012.

As always, I sign off my response by encouraging the reviewer to contact me directly.

Regards,

Reviewed 7 December 2011

This place is a night club with rooms. It's tragic, really, and the staff has no clue about service and hospitality, but they do a great nightclub in the lobby and penthouse space every night very well. So much so that hotel guests have to wait for ten minutes to get to an elevator while they take furniture and food and DJ equipment up to the penthouse party space. So much so that the front desk can't answer basic questions about in-room dining menues the staff forgot to put in my room. Speaking of room, there isn't much in the deluxe room, which costs $380 a night. And the automated lighting would be nice if you could also turn on a reading light without having to turn on all overhead lights. Oh, and I can hear my neighbor's TV whenever it's on. This place is HORRIBLE.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled solo
4  Thank Michael A
dreamdowntown, Manager at Dream Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 3 April 2012

Dear Michael A,

I’m terribly disappointed to hear about your experience while you were with us. It is true that our lobby and rooftop lounge are very popular with locals and hotel guest alike, however we always place the needs of our guests first.

I apologize for the issues you encountered in regards to the overhead lighting and soundproofing. Unfortunately we inherited these challenges from the construction phase but have just finished a complete overhaul of the building to install additional soundproofing and rewire the lighting panels.

Thank you for taking the time to give us this feedback. Please contact me directly should you wish to discuss any of this further.

Warm Regards,

Reviewed 27 November 2011

I am from NY.....this will be my new hotel getaway spot. I stayed at many other hotels in NYC. This hotel has everything you need. Solid restaurant, a gym, rooftop. You can't beat it! I will be staying here again in December.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple