“Nightmare Downtown”

Ranked #116 of 468 Hotels in New York City
Cupertino, CA
“Nightmare Downtown”
Reviewed 5 May 2013

This place is a joke of a hotel, at least as far as I understand the purpose of a hotel.

Unless you're on the first four floors, there's no way you can get to sleep before 4am, thanks to the nightly rager hosted by the hotel on the top floor. And they don't warn you about this. In fact, they make you sign a piece of paper stating that YOU won't disturb the peace and quiet of other guests. Ironic.

The temperature, the clock and the phone are all one device that doesn't work. Three critical amenities in a room all with a single point of failure that, well, fails. So when you wake up two hours late for your flight because your alarm clock "isn't registered", you can't even call the front desk to complain. But that's irrelevant cause during the night, the temperature spiked to 103 degrees (actually happened to me) and you're so dehydrated you can't pick up the phone even if it did work.

When I asked for an ice pack to be brought to my room (because I had a torn ligament in my ankle and I wanted to ice it), the front desk (who I called on my cell phone) said "umm, I don't think we have any." So then I asked for a bag with ice in it. "Um...not sure...umm...let me check if kitchen can do that." 5 minutes later: "Hello? Yeah...umm...kitchen said you already have a bag of ice in the mini bar." That "bag of ice" consisted of 5 cubes in a cup. What a personal touch.

Maybe I'm mistaken but I was under the impression that as a hotel guest, if I want something, it's never a problem. That's what every front desk person says: "If you need anything, just call us." Anything. That means if I want hookers and blow at 4pm on a Tuesday, I should hear "how much and how many?" If I have a dead body in my room it should be, "what size body bad would you like?" The hotel and its staff should kill themselves to ensure my stay is perfect because I can choose from a dozen other hotels in the area. And that's what I'll be doing.

Room Tip: Don't stay here
1 Thank Andrew M

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (835)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
kc
Reviewed 3 May 2013

We visit NYC frequently and usually stay in Midtown. This time, we decided to stay near the Highline (visiting friends who live in the Meatpacking district). There are not nearly as many choices as Midtown, which may cause some price inflation. With tax, or 262 sq. ft (THINK ABOUT HOW SMALL THIS IS) was $529. My husband and I were super crowded in our ultra-trendy- chic room. Although the shower was large, it was not possible to have more than one of us in bathroom at one time. The toilet was positioned about 2 feet from the hallway door so that if you opened the door you would be totally exposed. The sink, although funky and artistic, was metal with a shelf making hard to brush teeth and wash hands with out making a big mess. The hotels caters to a 20 year old crowd with one of the hottest clubs downtown. This could be entertaining for some, but could be a tiring circus for others....long lines to the elevator, doormen screening who will get into the club (yes, we did get in) etc. I honestly don't know how they afford the $13 domestic beers and bottle service. I will say that the staff was ever so pleasant and accommodating. There is also an outdoor pool which looked inviting had the weather been a bit warmer. The surrounding area has a lot to offer in terms of shopping, the High Line and restaurants...fun to explore. All in all,this was just the wrong choice for us. Next time, either the Standard, or back to the London in Midtown.

Room Tip: I would imagine it is really loud under the night club. We were on the second floor which is on the...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 2 May 2013

I have rarely been as happy to check out of a hotel as I was to leave the Dream Downtown. First, the employees were rude. If I'm paying close to $500 a night, I want the staff to be friendly, helpful and accommodating. Instead, the Dream staff was bored, supercilious and uninterested in answering even the most simple of questions.

Second, the house music from the bar upstairs thumped throughout the hotel for most of the night. The Dream actually touts itself as a quiet hotel. That is, unless you're in a room below the rooftop bar.

Lastly, the in-room phone automatically disconnects on the day you check out, so I was unable to call for room service the morning I was leaving. What is that about?

There are a plethora of hotels in Manhattan. The folks at the Dream would do well to remember that.

2 Thank Nansdrivel
London
Reviewed 1 May 2013

I travel quite a bit internationally and felt this hotel is overpriced for the quality of the interiors. In the attempt to be trendy and hip, it lacks style and sophistication. My room felt a bit worn and the overall finishes felt cheap. It’s hard to believe the hotel is only two years old, as it already feels tired in the corridors, rooms and some of the public spaces. It appears as if they cut corners in quite a few areas, and for the prices they are charging, I would stay elsewhere.

Further to this, I was in New York for business for one night and their internet was down when I arrived at 4pm and still down until 11.30am the following day, which caused serious embarrassment with my client meetings! Totally unacceptable for a hotel charging $500+ a night!

The positives are the great location and friendly staff, but overall it feels like the a hotel that is trying to be cool but instead appears cheap and worn, very disappointed.

1 Thank Coco58London
Palo Alto, California
Reviewed 29 April 2013

If you don't stay here and just have drinks at the bar, or swim in the pool, this hotel is pretty cool. However, overall I think that it's a cheap attempt to be hip, with so many design mistakes that it makes staying here full of slight annoyances that create an experience that you just want to forget.

Pros: Great location in NYC. In the Meatpacking District, across the street from Chelsea Market, just a few minutes from West Village and Chelsea, just a few minutes to several subways. Good neighborhood - safe, fun and interesting.

Cool lobby bar, interesting restaurants, fun vibe. And the TV's in the room are really nice.

Cons:
Let's start with the LED light panels in the room. OK, there are not individual light switches - cool I guess? Unfortunately, the lighted button panels themselves do not turn off, so the panels themselves end up being bright lights in the room at night that you cannot turn off. The phone panel is also extremely bright, and there is no way to dim it. When I called the desk on the first night, this was the conversation...
"Hi, can you please tell me how to dim the phone screen?"
"Yes, you go to settings and then you should be able to dim it."
"OK - there is no 'settings' choice on the phone. Is it in another place perhaps?"
"I don't know how to dim the lights on the phone. Should I send an engineer up?" (It is 11:30 p.m.)
"No, I would really appreciate it if you could tell me how to dim the phone- perhaps there is someone you else you could ask?"
Hangs up on me.
OK, thanks. I just unplugged the phone.

Next, the smell. It smells like old curry in my room.

On to the "oriental carpet" on the concrete floor. Shabby and dirty - clearly hasn't been replaced every six months, which would be a reasonable replacement rate for a hotel. Concrete floors are cool looking, but really loud. In a hotel, that is not a good thing - you need a lot of stuff to absorb noise, not spread it.

The bathroom is next on our "how many design mistakes can I make" list. The bathroom door was so heavy that it slammed shut every time it was opened, which was unpleasant. The "hip and modern" sink is a design disaster - I cannot even explain how impractical it is except to say spit some toothpaste directly onto your vanity (instead of in the sink bowl) and then try to rinse it off with water from the faucet. And, mine was clogged so badly that I could only brush my teeth in 30 seconds and then had to wait 5 minutes for the water to drain.

The ladder next to the shower is the only place to hang towels. A wooden towel rack kind of grosses me out - and it's not attached to the wall so if you hit it wrong, it falls on you.

The shower has low water pressure, and mine had gross black mold growing around all the edges. Which I complained about and was not fixed the next day. The bathrobe hook is hung so close to the light fixture that when the bathrobe was hanging, it touched the light bulb. The tolietries they provide fall right through the shower-wall mounted tolietry basket (along with the soap) - nothing better than having to bend over to pick up everything off the floor of the shower every five minutes. I used a washcloth to solve that problem.

I'm pretty tall, and my feet didn't reach the floor when I sat on the toliet. Enough said. Overall, I got the distinct feeling that the bathroom was designed by a very tall man, who had not a bit of sense of what women or people below 5'10" need in a hotel bathroom.

On to the noise! The room doors in this hotel SLAM. And I mean SLAM. Because the floors are not carpeted and there are so many flat surfaces, noise spreads so easily from room to hall and vice versa. There is clearly no insulation in the floors or walls, and noise just spreads unbelievably. People talking in the hall, the woman on the phone next door, the barking dog, the bass beat from the club at 3 a.m. (and I was on the 8th floor) - I can hear them all. The air conditioning unit in the room is also extremely loud when it clicks on - enough to require turning up the volume on the TV.

And finally, last but not least, the key card entry in the elevator and the rooms. Nothing better than key cards that don't really work like all the other key card entries in every other hotel in the world. I've stayed in hundreds of hotels, and never experienced such tempermental key cards. Try holding them in the reader for at least three seconds before pulling them out - or hope for a nice maid to help you, or a nice person in the elevator.

Dream Hotel, you are a cheap attempt at modernity - and kind of a nightmare for anyone that enjoys good hotel design and a peaceful, dark night's sleep and a relaxing bathroom to shower in the next morning.

Room Tip: Just stay somewhere else.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank JRPCA
New York City, New York
Reviewed 29 April 2013

We were celebrating our wedding anniversary and decided to have dinner downtown and book a hotel room, kind of a stay-cation.
Dropped the dog off at the dog hotel and checked into the Dream Downtown on a Friday afternoon (September 2012). The lobby was already very crowded like a big party is happening.
We did not have any bags to check in (we live in Manhattan and just brought a change of clothes) so went straight to the room.
First impression of the room (bronze queen), was, that it is TINY! I have been to bigger hotel bathrooms than this entire room. Also, the view was awful, overlooking some alleyway and big office building.
While the decor was cool and futuristic, the design and layout could use some improvements.
There was not a whole lot of room for luggage, so it's good we didn't have any.
The bathroom was also tiny and you heard everything within the room - not ideal for couples who like some privacy.

We went out to dinner then after dinner back to the hotel and sleep. We didn't participate in any hotel activities or visit any of the bars.

After checkout, we looked at the pool which looked cool and the lobby which was now empty and could be appreciated a bit more.

Overall, I think the price tag ($500) per night for the tiny shoebox, ill designed room is way too high.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 28 April 2013

Well this was a hotel stay like no other. What a fun, hip, and awesome hotel. I was hear this past December with my husband. The entry/reception area. It was almost magical. You felt like you were walking into a ski lodge. It was decorated for the holidays with fake snow in a Colorado ski lodge theme. The room, while small, was futuristic, hip and modern. The technology that the room was set up with was so cool. Buttons, not switches for all lighting, Audio for the tv in the bathroom. There was a main panel, that had your name on it that controlled everything in the room. The bed was super comfy! The oriental throw rug was a cool touch to the concrete floors. Such a trendy vibe in the room and hotel. Loved the all white/grey theme of the room. Would highly recommend it!!

Room Tip: We overlooked the pool which was pretty cool!
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple