“Great Location and beautiful property”
Review of Dream Downtown

Dream Downtown
Ranked #125 of 468 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 7 May 2013

I really enjoyed my recent stay at the dream downtown. It is right in the heart of the meatpacking district surrounded by great restaurants and shops. The property is beautiful, staff was friendly and beds were comfy. I will be staying here again!

There are newer reviews for Dream Downtown

Reviewed 7 May 2013

If there were 10 stars to give I would! This hotel was AMAZING!! The employees at the front desk were friendly and helpful. The decor of the hotel was out of this world and the rooms were something like I have never seen before! Everything is touch screen and state of the art. The bed was so comfortable, I had the best 2 nights sleep. The rooftop bar looked out onto the whole city and the view was breathtaking. The prices were ridiculous though. $120 for 4 drinks! Needless to say we left to try other bars and restaurants. Overall a great experience.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 7 May 2013

From the moment to door to my cab was opened to the end of my stay the staff were courteous, polite and very efficient. The hotel itself is beautifully done and is a great area of NY to stay, with Chelsea market round the corner and a zillion great restaurants nearby. Apart from quickly realising it was a very poplular place to be come 7pm that had little impact on my stay there which was very business orientated, I was in the tower on the sixth floor and wasn't disturbed for a second apart from the amorous couple next door but that didn't last too long thankfully.......

Amazing hotel.

Room Tip: 6th floor view was fine but I'd imagine there were still better the further up you go
Reviewed 5 May 2013

This place is a joke of a hotel, at least as far as I understand the purpose of a hotel.

Unless you're on the first four floors, there's no way you can get to sleep before 4am, thanks to the nightly rager hosted by the hotel on the top floor. And they don't warn you about this. In fact, they make you sign a piece of paper stating that YOU won't disturb the peace and quiet of other guests. Ironic.

The temperature, the clock and the phone are all one device that doesn't work. Three critical amenities in a room all with a single point of failure that, well, fails. So when you wake up two hours late for your flight because your alarm clock "isn't registered", you can't even call the front desk to complain. But that's irrelevant cause during the night, the temperature spiked to 103 degrees (actually happened to me) and you're so dehydrated you can't pick up the phone even if it did work.

When I asked for an ice pack to be brought to my room (because I had a torn ligament in my ankle and I wanted to ice it), the front desk (who I called on my cell phone) said "umm, I don't think we have any." So then I asked for a bag with ice in it. "Um...not sure...umm...let me check if kitchen can do that." 5 minutes later: "Hello? Yeah...umm...kitchen said you already have a bag of ice in the mini bar." That "bag of ice" consisted of 5 cubes in a cup. What a personal touch.

Maybe I'm mistaken but I was under the impression that as a hotel guest, if I want something, it's never a problem. That's what every front desk person says: "If you need anything, just call us." Anything. That means if I want hookers and blow at 4pm on a Tuesday, I should hear "how much and how many?" If I have a dead body in my room it should be, "what size body bad would you like?" The hotel and its staff should kill themselves to ensure my stay is perfect because I can choose from a dozen other hotels in the area. And that's what I'll be doing.

Room Tip: Don't stay here
1  Thank Andrew M
Reviewed 3 May 2013

We visit NYC frequently and usually stay in Midtown. This time, we decided to stay near the Highline (visiting friends who live in the Meatpacking district). There are not nearly as many choices as Midtown, which may cause some price inflation. With tax, or 262 sq. ft (THINK ABOUT HOW SMALL THIS IS) was $529. My husband and I were super crowded in our ultra-trendy- chic room. Although the shower was large, it was not possible to have more than one of us in bathroom at one time. The toilet was positioned about 2 feet from the hallway door so that if you opened the door you would be totally exposed. The sink, although funky and artistic, was metal with a shelf making hard to brush teeth and wash hands with out making a big mess. The hotels caters to a 20 year old crowd with one of the hottest clubs downtown. This could be entertaining for some, but could be a tiring circus for others....long lines to the elevator, doormen screening who will get into the club (yes, we did get in) etc. I honestly don't know how they afford the $13 domestic beers and bottle service. I will say that the staff was ever so pleasant and accommodating. There is also an outdoor pool which looked inviting had the weather been a bit warmer. The surrounding area has a lot to offer in terms of shopping, the High Line and restaurants...fun to explore. All in all,this was just the wrong choice for us. Next time, either the Standard, or back to the London in Midtown.

Room Tip: I would imagine it is really loud under the night club. We were on the second floor which is on the...
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 May 2013

I have rarely been as happy to check out of a hotel as I was to leave the Dream Downtown. First, the employees were rude. If I'm paying close to $500 a night, I want the staff to be friendly, helpful and accommodating. Instead, the Dream staff was bored, supercilious and uninterested in answering even the most simple of questions.

Second, the house music from the bar upstairs thumped throughout the hotel for most of the night. The Dream actually touts itself as a quiet hotel. That is, unless you're in a room below the rooftop bar.

Lastly, the in-room phone automatically disconnects on the day you check out, so I was unable to call for room service the morning I was leaving. What is that about?

There are a plethora of hotels in Manhattan. The folks at the Dream would do well to remember that.

2  Thank Nansdrivel
Reviewed 1 May 2013

I travel quite a bit internationally and felt this hotel is overpriced for the quality of the interiors. In the attempt to be trendy and hip, it lacks style and sophistication. My room felt a bit worn and the overall finishes felt cheap. It’s hard to believe the hotel is only two years old, as it already feels tired in the corridors, rooms and some of the public spaces. It appears as if they cut corners in quite a few areas, and for the prices they are charging, I would stay elsewhere.

Further to this, I was in New York for business for one night and their internet was down when I arrived at 4pm and still down until 11.30am the following day, which caused serious embarrassment with my client meetings! Totally unacceptable for a hotel charging $500+ a night!

The positives are the great location and friendly staff, but overall it feels like the a hotel that is trying to be cool but instead appears cheap and worn, very disappointed.

1  Thank Coco58London