“Maybe OK if you are trendy”
Review of Dream Downtown

Dream Downtown
Ranked #123 of 466 Hotels in New York City
paris
“Maybe OK if you are trendy”
Reviewed 11 June 2014

If you are under 30, well-off and trendy this may be the hotel for you. If you are not any of these forget it.
The room was well situated being on a corner so four portholes to look out of and be spotted from the buildings opposite. The design is, I assume, supposed to be eclectic and hip but I found it merely uncomfortable. Great views of the Empire State Building etc but I found the bathroom view rather disconcerting as a half frosted window maintained a degree of decorum when seated but definitely rather over exposed when standing.
Square stainless steel bathtubs are undoubtedly at the cutting edge of style but uncomfortable in every other respect. The steel mesh shower curtain seems rather silly but who am I to tell.
Comfortable bed but the television set in the room was on a wall next to the bed and presents a traffic hazard for a person sleeping on the right hand side of the bed.
The lighting system requires very good eyesight to operate so if you are old bring a flashlight and your reading glasses.
In terms of cost and hence value for money, eye-watering but I suppose the norm for NY these days.
On a positive note, the staff could not have been nicer and helpful and coped well with the crowds of people milling about the lobby at 10.00pm

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Ayo A, Manager at Dream Downtown, responded to this review, 12 June 2014
Thank you for taking the time to relay your most recent experience at Dream Downtown, the feedback is greatly appreciated. Dream Downtown caters to many different travelers of many age groups. We pride ourselves on having several different amenities that meets the needs of a wide demographic of guests. I am sorry to hear that you felt the finishes and technology were for only those aged 30 and below, I can assure you this is not the case. I am happy to hear that you felt a friendly welcome form all of the staff, they work very hard to exceed guest expectations. I hope to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.

Ayo Akinsete

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (846)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Sayville, New York
Reviewed 8 June 2014

I spent the weekend at the dream Hotel downtown and was extremely letdown by the service that was received. If it weren't for the pool I would never say that again! Our server at the pool was horrendous, you had to constantly check your bill because things were being added such as a Kratky that was never ordered for extra drinks! I ordered a wrap at the pool and the person didn't know where to bring it it was sitting out for 15 minutes in the sun before it was brought to me and I actually saw it sitting out for the person two chairs down. I asked for a menu and was brought a Mamosa and charged for it even know I didn't order it. When we checked out we asked them to hold our bags for an hour, when we returned 2 of the bags were missing and they had no idea where they were. To top it off, 4 of people I was with had their credit cards hacked into!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Ayo A, Manager at Dream Downtown, responded to this review, 12 June 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review Dream Downtown your feedback is greatly appreciated. Firstly please accept my apologies for the poor service at the pool. Please know that this level of service is not indicative of the hotel as a whole and is an isolated incident. Here at dream it is our #1 priority to exceed guest expectations, so it pains me to know that we failed you this time around. With that being said when things go wrong we will always try our hardest to make amends. In regards to your friends credit card I would greatly appreciate if you could reach out to me directly so that I can further investigate the matter. I hope that I will be able to welcome you back to Dream for a second chance, please reach out to me for future reservations so that I can see to it personally.

Reviewed 8 June 2014 via mobile

Beautiful hotel. Stunning. Pricey however well worth the stay. Great location, walking distance to great eating and social spots. The staff was VERY kind and helpful. Staff members Danny and Sam were lovely and provided so much assistance!

Stayed June 2014
Ayo A, Manager at Dream Downtown, responded to this review, 10 June 2014
Thank you for you review on Dream Downtown, the feedback is greatly appreciated. It is always great to hear nice comments about the staff, I will be sure to share the feedback with Danny and Sam. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay and hope to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.

Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 7 June 2014

Don't be fooled by the stunningly gorgeous lobby. It's the only nice part of the this hotel. I have stayed here a few times. Believe me, the Standard Hotel and the Gansevoort nearby are heads and tails above this place. They are fun, trendy, and beautiful like the DREAM but classy with really nice, helpful staff. The DREAM is totally cheesy. I never really liked it, but came back because it was close to my office. The designs of the rooms are horrible. Chain link shower curtains, complicated lighting system, booming bass in the background, difficult to access outlets, and a sink with a large chrome ledge so that when you brush your teeth you then have to wash the ledge off. You have to call room service to get ice. I found those little items annoying. But then when I checked in a few weeks ago, I realized that I had accidentally forgotten my credit card, which I never do, but realized to my alarm that I had left it another bag by mistake. Well, I used it to reserve the room, and it's on file with my company's travel agency who booked the room. It was also my fourth or fifth time staying here. They refused to let me check in without the physical card. So basically, they were going to let a returning customer from a business that supplies many reservations for them just sleep on the streets of New York. The front desk guy called his manager who was incredibly uninterested and unhelpful. When they realized I wasn't going away, they told me if I could have my husband take a picture of the card and send it then they would allow me to check in. My card was at home and my husband was at work. So I had to wait over an hour in the lobby - they wouldn't even let me into my room. I mean, I know companies need to be careful about credit card fraud, but use some common sense. This place is hot in the Meatpacking district now, but when the next hottest place opens up, they will lose the 'in' crowd and then find they lost everyone else along the way. They definitely lost me. There are just too many other nicer places in this area.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
4 Thank KristyEH123
Ayo A, Manager at Dream Downtown, responded to this review, 10 June 2014
Thank you for your review on Dream Downtown, the feedback is greatly appreciated. Please accept my apologies for the delayed check in. As a protection for all guests the front desk is unable to check in a guest without the physical credit card or a 3rd party billing authorization form. I can assure you the sole purpose of this policy is to protect our guests from credit card fraud. As you stated that you have stayed with us before I hope this one incident will not completely taint you image of the hotel. Please reach out to me for future reservations, so that I can see to your arrangements personally.

Thornton Cleveleys, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 June 2014 via mobile

Wow! What a great hotel! Hubby and I have been to New York three times before and because I am turning a certain age this year I was allowed to pick where we stayed. I wanted glamour and gleam: Dream Downtown was all that!
We stayed in a Silver room, everything was shiny: the walls, the curtain shower, the sink, even the headboard, it was gorgeous. The bed was comfy and large. Products in the bathroom were good quality, however no shower cap but I brought my own so no problem.
All staff were gorgeous and friendly; loved the PhD bar, wonderful view and cocktails.
The view from our room was of the Empire State building, what more can I say?
On our last day we decided to have a couple of hours by the pool, this was because they let us have an extra couple of hours before we had to
check out (free of charge), sunbathing by a pool, in New York, who'd of thought it?
I think there were famous people there, everyone that I saw in the lift (elevator), lobby and bar looked like they were, we even felt like celebrities because that's the way Dream Downtown makes you feel.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank AnnieTh64
Ayo A, Manager at Dream Downtown, responded to this review, 7 June 2014
Thank you for your candid review on Dream Downtown the feedback is greatly appreciated. I am glad that you were able to enjoy the million dollar view from our Silver King rooms and rooftop club PHD, I would have to say it is probably one of the best views from a hotel in the city. We are fortunate enough to have the luxury of a pool at the hotel and also Manhattans only beach. It brings me great joy to know that you felt like a celebrity while on property, while we do cater to many high end celebrities are top priority is that all guests feel special while at the hotel. I look forward to welcoming you back to Dream in the near future

Altoona, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 6 June 2014

This hotel was excellent. It was so much more than what we expected when we arrived !! The staff was so professional and attentive. We will definitely be going back to this establishment !! The Bell Captain Eddie Brassington was outstanding with his service and knowledge of the city !1

Room Tip: the rooms that have a balcony are a very good choice !!