“First class hotel”

Ranked #116 of 468 Hotels in New York City
Sydney
“First class hotel”
Reviewed 17 August 2014

I stayed here with my girlfriend for 6 nights. We were most impressed with the reception staff, concierge and cleaners - the guests were always their number 1 priority. Our room was great with direct views to the Empire State Building. I'd imagine most rooms in the north tower which are north facing would see this too.

We attended the night club on top of the dream - PHD - on a number of occasions. It is very advantageous to stay at the hotel if you plan on visiting PHD due to the priority access. Although, it's still hard to enter on a Saturday night with priority due to all the crowds... But this is a NYC wide issue.

We used the pool facilities heavily, but were significantly unimpressed with the attitude of the bar/pool deck staff (I believe their training wasn't as comprehensive as the other hotel staff).

For corporates, this hotel works very well. It's close to key restaurants, has a quick checkin/checkout, a very helpful concierge service and meeting facilities which are easy to access.

• Stayed August 2014
Ayo A, Manager at Dream Downtown, responded to this review, 19 August 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review Dream Downtown, the feedback is greatly appreciated. You are correct in saying that the guests are our #1 priority. Our staff having a genuine passion to over deliver on the guest experience, so that Dream feels like a home away from home. I am glad that you enjoyed our amazing pool and Rooftop bar PHD, on your next visit you must try our hidden restaurant Bodega Negra. I look forward to welcoming you back to Dream in the near future.

Ayo Akinsete

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (835)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
North Bethesda, Maryland
Reviewed 17 August 2014

Top notch everything! I've been to Manhattan at least a dozen times, and have reluctantly spent more than double at other hotels for inferior service and ambiance. This hotel is now the only place we'll stay. It is not your typical NYC hotel. It is definitely a known hot spot, and I was skeptical about bringing my kids since it seemed like a young crowd, not a family place. Although there were very few families with kids, the staff could not have been more accommodating to my 10 and 15 year old girls. The bartenders even made them special mocktails each night, so we spent time in the bar lounge every evening before dinner. The hotel is full of activity all night with its 2 clubs, but we did not hear noise once we were in room on 9th floor. We could sometimes hear noise from neighboring rooms, but had no trouble sleeping. The beds are another major perk!. They are literally like clouds with featherbed mattresses and plush down comforters, again not like your typical hotel, even 5 star NYC hotels. All of us slept really well. Location is great, right across from Chelsea Market, and almost next door to Tao Downtown for dinner. Hotel decor is spectacular, and we honestly looked forward to coming back to the hotel several times a day just to spend time there. Front desk staff, concierges, and all the staff at the entrance were delightful! We didn't use the pool since it was packed on weekend, and there was a wait list for chairs. During the week, pool area got quieter if you plan to swim. We didn't use the gym, but it looked decent, although not huge. We ate at Cherry our last night. Food was great, although our waiter was the only hotel employee who was somewhat unpleasant and unhelpful. I wasn't sure if it was because I had kids with me, but I overlooked it since every other staff member went out of his or her way to make our stay amazing. I would highly recommend this hotel, and I am generally a tough critic.

Room Tip: Pool area can get noisy, so stay on higher floors if you want peace, or stay there if you want a hot...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Ayo A, Manager at Dream Downtown, responded to this review, 19 August 2014
Top notch hospitality is exactly what Dream Downtown strives for on a daily basis, so it is very pleasing to know that you felt this during your stay. Dream is certainly not your typical NYC hotel, it is more like a resort smack bang in the center of the concrete jungle. I am glad to hear that you felt a warm welcome from all of the staff members that you encountered, they all work very hard to exceed guest expectations. I look forward to welcoming you and your family back to the hotel in the near future.

Reviewed 16 August 2014

What can I say, this is possibly the worst hotel I have ever stayed in!

I have been on the road for 3 weeks, 11 hotels in that time, this was the last one one the way home and was so bad it had put a sour taste in our mouth about the whole trip.

Looks like a good place to party, but as a hotel it is a joke. Smallest room ever, we had 2 suitcases, one had to be stored in the toilet as there was no space in the room for 2. The bed was barely bigger than a single and so uncomfortable I can't begin to describe it.

There is so much noise, people partying in there rooms until 5am, I guess that is what you need to expect given so much focus is on the partying side of the business.

After finally getting some sleep it was soon light again as the curtains don't block out any light and are about a foot away from the window anyway so it just beams into the room.

The wardrobes are so badly made the doors won't close and a light comes on automatically. Had to stuff the gaps with toilet paper to stop the door opening.

The only positive is the location. My advice steer clear.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Phileas_F0gg2014
Ayo A, Manager at Dream Downtown, responded to this review, 19 August 2014
Thank you for your review on Dream Downtown the feedback is greatly appreciated. Although the nature of your review is not a positive one, we will use some of your points where applicable to improve. Dream Downtown is a hotel first that offers many amazing facilities for our guests to enjoy. On the weekends the hotel does become very lively, with many leisure travelers looking for a unique hotel experience. In regards to the wardrobes we are aware of the issue and are aggressively attacking it to ensure that all wardrobes are fully functional. I hope that we will be able to welcome you back to the hotel for a second chance. Please reach out to me for future reservations so that I can see to your reservation personally.

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 15 August 2014 via mobile

The Dream Downtown has always been my favorite. Great location walking distance to Chelsea market and the meatpacking district. Just spent my birthday here and it is absolutely a one stop shop for everything you could want. Great atmosphere with a cool pool scene, rooftop club with stunning views of the Empire State Building, and a great new restaurant in Bodega Negra! Upon my arrival I was warmly greeted by Katya at the front desk who made sure I was set up and ready to go and even checked up on me during the weekend. Her along with the rest of the staff provided excellent service as always as they pay attention to your every need and leave you wanting for nothing ... My first choice every time I visit NYC :)

Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
Ayo A, Manager at Dream Downtown, responded to this review, 19 August 2014
Happy belated birthday and thank you for choosing Dream Downtown to celebrate it. I am not surprised to hear that Katya played a role in making your stay special, she always goes above and beyond for all guests that she encounters. I believe that PHD has the best skyline views of any bar in NYC, so I am very happy to hear that you enjoyed your time there. I love that we are now your first choice hotel and look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Dublin, California
Reviewed 14 August 2014

Stayed at this hotel a few times for work. The location is pretty good near the Chelsea market. There are some nice bars and restaurants in the area. There is also a pretty nice crowd in the lobby bar and in the rooftop bar on most weeknights (when it's not freezing in the middle of winter). If you're here to party, you'll have plenty of fun.

The rooms themselves are pretty stylish as you would expect of this type of hotel. A tad small but not bad given it's Manhattan. Bed is pretty comfortable too.

My one complaint is that while the rooms look nice, they aren't very practical. For example the desk and chair isn't very comfortable to work in plus there isn't any place by the bedside to charge your phone. The bathroom sink is stylish but it's really hard to use it to just wash your face.

All in all, I'd stay here again.

Room Tip: Be sure to check out the rooftop bar
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Ayo A, Manager at Dream Downtown, responded to this review, 15 August 2014
Thank you for your review on Dream Downtown, the feedback is greatly appreciated. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your overall stay. We have several different room types in the hotel, many of which offer ample work space. Please reach out to me for future reservations so that I can assist with a room that will meet all of your needs.

Staten island
Reviewed 14 August 2014

Loved the location. Close to the meatpacking district, Chelsea markets and the highline. What more do you need?
The staff was well informed and gracious.
The hotel had a great vibe. You could do a mini vacation in the hotel alone with its restaurants, gym, pool and clubs. Great to be able to go out to two clubs and take an elevator up to your room after.

• Stayed August 2014
Ayo A, Manager at Dream Downtown, responded to this review, 15 August 2014
I am glad to hear that you enjoyed Dream Downtown and its primetime location the Meatpacking District. With all of the amazing amenities located in the hotel, Dream is somewhat of a mini resort in the heart of NYC. I look forward to welcoming you back to Dream in the near future.

Reviewed 13 August 2014

the dream is a one stop shop; amazing staff, great restaurants, cool club, sick pool scene!!! and we tried them all and had a blast!!! the bar tenders are extremely friendly and very talented. the entire place is truly a DREAM!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Ayo A, Manager at Dream Downtown, responded to this review, 14 August 2014
I truly believe that Dream Downtown is a one stop shop for any guest that steps foot on property, so I am very pleased to hear that you felt the same. I’m glad that you were able to enjoy all of our amazing amenities and look forward to welcoming you back to Dream in the near future.