“Amazing!”

Ranked #61 of 466 Hotels in New York City
Del Mar, California
“Amazing!”
Reviewed 9 June 2012

Drove from California to upstate New York to take my son to college (we drove because he wanted to have a car there). After moving him into his dorm, I took a train to NYC. The Muse Hotel was a short walk from the train station. Feeling exhausted and sad after a long journey; I walked into The Muse and they were so welcoming that I felt like I was "home". The staff was caring and attentive. A cheese platter and bottle of wine were sent up to my room. I enjoyed their hospitality, relaxed and went for a walk later that evening.
The next day I had a spa service in my room. It was magnificent.
This is the best hotel I've stayed in NYC.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Lisetteom
Lulu E, Manager at Kimpton Muse Hotel, responded to this review, 13 June 2012
Thank you so much for your review! After that long drive, I’m excited you had the chance to use the in-room spa services, it sounds like it was very much needed. I hope your son’s college is close enough that we can welcome you back “home” soon!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (704)
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Valbonne, France
Reviewed 7 June 2012

They had me at "Hello..."and I was in love with the Kimpton group. They took all my requests into consideration: a room away from construction and street noise (the ones I made when I reserved..after my research on Tripadvisor) and was grateful to be far,far from the elevator too.
After our transatlantic trip we couldn't have had a better reception and our room was a cool,safe haven away from the topsy turvy Times Square. The decor is modern and fun, the fact that there was chocolates and a card for my partner whose birthday we were celebrating made us feel like VIP's. Big comfy bed,spacious bathroom...perfect for our NYC getaway. As our stay progressed we surmized that The Muse is there to make everyone feel special.
I also need to say how prompt the maid service is...I have stayed in hotels all over and have come back to my room in the late afternoon to find my room uncleaned and the bed unmade and that drives me insane. At The Muse...we never even heard the cleaning cart.let alone ran into anyone...we left the room and came back and it was done...by faeries?!!
Nice vibe,smiling faces all round be it from the hotel staff or the other guests.
Morning coffee and early evening wine is complimentary...smiles are genuine .
Great location,right in the heart of it all and walking distance to...just about everything.
A must,must,must!

Room Tip: If you can get it and afford it...book a room with a balcony.lLooks lovely in the photos! Ask to be...
2 Thank IntrepidTraveller06
Lulu E, Manager at Kimpton Muse Hotel, responded to this review, 13 June 2012
First of all, nice Jerry McGuire reference! Thank you so much for taking the time to write this review! I’m so happy you enjoyed your stay and our amazing housekeeping staff wowed you. They’re not fairies, but they seem to work magic. Happy birthday to your partner! I hope we welcome you back soon!
St. Thomas
Reviewed 4 June 2012

We arrived late on Friday evening for a quick getaway. The lobby was lovely and the staff friendly and professional. Our room was nicely appointed and comfy. We were delighted with the amenities.

Morning coffee and early evening wine are complimentary. Many guests gathered at the end of the day to socialize and enjoy a glass of wine.

This hotel is pet friendly and the dogs that we encountered were really well behaved.

Located right off of Times Square, the location was perfect for dining and the theater. We parked our car and walked all weekend.

We are planning to make this an annual event.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
Memphis, Tennessee
Reviewed 4 June 2012

We loved this hotel! It has a nice "small hotel" feel in a large city. The location is great - right off Times Square, close to Rockefeller Center. The rooms were clean and spacious (by Manhattan standards, anyway). The staff was very friendly and efficient. The only improvement I could recommend is providing free wireless. We enjoyed ourselves immensely and wouls definitely return.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
Tyngsboro, Massachusetts
Reviewed 3 June 2012

The Muse is our second Kimpton Hotel, the other being the Nine Zero in Boston. I hear so many people say that once they've had the Kimpton experience, they'll seek out Kimptons wherever they go. We're certain to do that ourselves.

Today's online NYTimes has an article about innovations. Here's one they call "The Kindness Hack."

"Researchers at Wharton, Yale and Harvard have figured out how to make employees feel less pressed for time: force them to help others. According to a recent study, giving workers menial tasks or, surprisingly, longer breaks actually leads them to believe that they have less time, while having them write to a sick child, for instance, makes them feel more in control and “willing to commit to future engagements despite their busy schedules.” The idea is that completing an altruistic task increases your sense of productivity, which in turn boosts your confidence about finishing everything else you need to do."

While 'force' seems antithetic to 'altruistic', it seems to us that The Muse selects for its staff people for whom menial tasks and long breaks aren't what they came for. Everyone we met, from curbside to 9th floor housekeeping, seemed to have that urge to care, eager to go out of their way to make our day a little better, even if just by sharing a smile. More than just hiring for that quality, they're given license to let it show. It does. It can't be faked, of course, nor even taught. It's all natural, in delightfully unpretentious, low-key ways. Good people being themselves. It's very real.

Hotels can't screen guests for altruism. Doubtless The Muse staff serve some difficult or impossible people. It's then more to the staff's credit that they approach all of us as if sure we will be worthwhile. Maybe that ever-fresh optimism makes us try hard not to disappoint them. We enjoyed the lobby wine & social hour with at least five groups in two nights, from near and far, tourists and business people, from teens to senior citizens like ourselves. I'm certain they'd all agree that being at Kimpton brings out the best in us, too.

Who wouldn't go back for more of that?

Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 31 May 2012

This hotel is a typical Kimpton classic, and by typical, I only mean good things. I have always been happy with Kimpton hotels. I like their funky decor and good service.

As is very typical of New York hotels, the rooms are small. The hotel should have gone with furniture that fit the room a bit better, but that is the fun of New York hotels. The bed was superior - to the point of I am seriously considering buying their exclusive Sealy mattress.

Service was excellent. The hotel gives a nice happy hour of very average wine. If the wine was a bit better, I would have given this hotel a 'Excellent' rating rather than just 'Very Good'.

As a 'MUST' - check out their lobby bathrooms. Never seen anything like it.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
Boston, MA
Reviewed 30 May 2012

We saw a great deal through SniqueAway and decided to take advantage of it. We went with a King Premier room. This is a beautiful boutique hotel, very close to Times Square. The bell staff and front desk staff were extremely friendly and accommodating. This is a pet-friendly hotel, and there were a couple of nice doggies asleep behind the front desk. In addition, there was a "welcome" bowl of dog food in the front entryway, awaiting some canine guests who were due to arrive. Our room was gorgeous - exactly as pictured on their website, and quite large for a hotel room in New York City. The furnishings are modern, everything very clean, the king bed nice and comfy. The shower was powerful! Really powerful! They had free WiFi in the room, which was a nice plus. There was also the all-important safe for storing valuables that we didn't want to take with us. The only thing missing was a coffee maker, but we requested one, and had one brought to our room within minutes. The hotel location was excellent - just a minute's walk to Times Square. And 2 blocks down W. 46th Street is "Restaurant Row," a wonderful area with a vast variety of restaurants. All in all, a lovely hotel in a great area. Highly recommended.