“Excellent Service - Memorable stay”
Review of Kimpton Muse Hotel

Kimpton Muse Hotel
Ranked #56 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Fishers, IN
“Excellent Service - Memorable stay”
Reviewed 25 July 2012

We checked in to The Muse on June 22 and left on June 26th. It was my husband, me and our daugter (14) and son (11). We were there for my 50th birthday. First, the hotel location was excellent. We walked to Rockefeller Center, Times Square, The Intrepid, Wall Street, Central Park - almost everywhere we wanted to go. The rooms were very nice and clean and comfortable. (No - absolutely NO bed bugs.) Since it was my birthday, the hotel sent up a very nice bottle of champagne and some cupcakes. The staff was very welcoming and accomodating. After our busy days, it was like coming home to familiar smiling faces.

I really need to share a story concerning my son. We went to the Mets / Yankees game on June 22nd. My son (a Yankee fan) tried to get a ball from the players and ballboys after every inning. Finally, after the game, he caught a ball tossed up from a ballboy. A grown man tried to pull the ball out of his hands, my son pulled back and then the man yanked it from him. My son was in tears and upset all the way back to the hotel. I told Barbara, the concierge, what had happened. Upon retuning to our room the next night, we found a foam "Yankees #1 Finger", a Yankees baseball cap and a Yankees world series commemorative ball in the room with a note from Barbara. Our son was so excited, he screamed and jumped up and down. It turned a very bad incident into a happy memorable event. It also created a lifelong Yankees fan in my son and a lifelong Kimpton hotels fan in me.

I would highly reccomend this hotel or any other Kimptoon hotel.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Cathy M
Lulu E, Manager at Kimpton Muse Hotel, responded to this review, 1 August 2012
Hello Cathy M,

I'm wiping the tears from my eyes and giving Barbara a big hug. That is awful about what happened at the game, but karma stepped in and your son now has a foam finger, a Yankee cap, a World Series commemorative ball and a huge smile on his face. Ha! We are looking forward to you next stay, hope it's soon!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (702)
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
New Orleans, Louisiana
Reviewed 24 July 2012

In a time of corporations feeling compelled to nickel and dime customers and implement cost-cutting measures, the Muse is a welcome change. From the complimentary coffee, iced coffee, and tea in the morning, juice in the afternoon, and wine/beer reception in the evening, we felt we were actually getting the most bang for our buck in this NYC hotel.

The staff was friendly, accommodating, and efficient. Need to check out at 1 p.m.? No problem. Forget some toiletries, a straightening iron, collar stays? No problem. They will even print your boarding pass and deliver to your room if you want. Only caveat: we did have one bellman offer to get us a car for $65 because he claimed it was difficult to get a cab. Not true. While a cab will drop you off at 46th and 6th on arriving due to Times Square congestion issues, getting a cab to leave is easy and multiple staff members offered to hail one for us but we had prior arrangements (that didn't cost $65).

The location is ideal for exploring Times Square, Central Park, 5th Avenue, catching a Broadway show, or for hopping on a subway to anywhere in the city.

The noise level was somewhat high but this is NYC. I live in a downtown environment so I wasn't phased much by it. The hotel does provide earplugs.

Our room was small but it was laid out well and suited us perfectly. The bed was very comfortable and the furnishings were nice. The bathroom was fairly large.

The gym was small but very well-equipped with new cardio equipment and a nice selection of free weights. Filtered water, towels, and headphones were available.

Tip: Make sure you join the Kimpton In Touch program before you go. It is free and you get free wireless internet (which worked great in the room) as well as a $15 mini bar credit.

I wish all hotel chains were like this.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank RadWife73
Annapolis, Maryland
Reviewed 24 July 2012 via mobile

We are staying here for two nights. It's pretty pricey but within steps of Times Square and Rock Center. I reserved a corner king bedded room and was upgraded to a suite at no cost. The clerk did warn me that I might hear construction noises early, but it's 830 am and I don't hear anything yet. Walk in is a large bathroom, one sink, bidet and tub shower. Followed by couch, chair, sitting area with flat screen tv, Next room a large bedroom with chaise lounge chair, desk, king bed, another tv on wall. Very spacious. We just visited my daughters studio apt on 91st and Broadway and our room at The Muse looks spalacios compared to the studio. I was very comfortable sleeping last night. The mattress felt firm and comfy. Faults: a in room a/c unit instead of central air- makes more noise than I like. The lighting in bathroom is fluorescent or similar and makes you look harsh. Girls like softer warmer lighting in bathrooms to put makeup on. There is a slight odor in room. Not exactly sure what it's from. Almost like a water spill and carpet smells a little sour. I believe that you can have pets here and that might contribute to an odor. We have stayed at the Hilton several streets away, and I would much rather upgrade and stay at The Muse for a boutique hotel experience. Coffee tea bar in lobbey in am, afternoon wine at 5pm, fresh fruited water during the day. The lobby is small and cozy. The employees are very smiley and friendly. All in all a very nice stay in NYC. Now off to Broadway!

• Stayed July 2012
1 Thank Ryla_M
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 23 July 2012

Wow! This was the best hotel experience we've ever had. It's hard to pinpoint what makes it so but the entire stay seemed absolutely effortless. The hotel ambiance was relaxing from the moment we arrived. The staff is extremely pleasant and handles EVERYTHING quickly and efficiently - and always with a genuine smile. It may be strange to say so, but the thing that struck me most was how everything just worked. We were on the 16th floor and doubt that we ever waited on an elevator for more than 30 seconds, and every trip up or down was speedy and never crowded (even on the weekend). Our room was probably a typical New York hotel room, but we never felt cramped at all as all the space was usable. The bed and bedding was as comfortable as any we've ever slept in and we slept great every night. As for service, we just mentioned in passing that we were celebrating our anniversary at check-in and a half hour later a knock on our door brought champagne and chocolate covered strawberries with congratulations. There was a construction site across the street, that never bothered us, but we found a nice note with apologies for the noise along with a set of complimentary earplugs. We seemed to always return from our daily excursions during happy hour in the lobby, and the cold beer or glass of wine was a welcome perk. We had serious concerns about our first trip to NYC but the Muse made them all seem silly.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
Vicksburg, Mississippi
Reviewed 23 July 2012

I was very pleased with my stay. I requested a quiet floor with ajoining rooms and the hotel delivered. We had two ajoining rooms on the twelth floor. We had stayed here in 2004 and were very happy with our stay again in 2012. Lots of hot water with great pressue, good daily room cleaning, fast elevator service, polite and curtious service from staff.

Room Tip: Request a quiet room with your reservations as I did. This is a small hotel (appx 200 rooms) so ther...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 22 July 2012

The staff here is amazing. Sara got us dinner reservations and eveyone here will make your stay terrific. It is only one block off Times Square! Easy walk to Central Park!!

• Stayed July 2012
Bryn Mawr, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 21 July 2012

Our family just arrived home after spending a couple days n NYC to celebrate our son"s 16th birthday. We chose a Kimpton Hotel because they are extremely dog friendly, and we love to bring our dog with us when we travel if possible. Five days before our trip to NYC/The Muse Hotel, our dog tragically died after getting hit by a car. We are so grief-stricken that we considered postponing the trip or possibly staying at a hotel that isn't as "dog centric" as The Muse, but we decided that we would stick with our plan. I let the concierge know in advance what happened and asked them to make sure our dog's name wasn't on Ginger's welcome board when we walked in, and also to make sure there was no dog bedding in the room. The staff was so friendly, helpful, and accommodating - they actually upgraded our room to a suite with a balcony and had chilled champagne and cupcakes waiting for us in our room upon arrival. It was amazing - so unexpected, but very much appreciated. The room was spotless, and the bathroom is a great size. The front desk, doormen, housekeeping, and the valet were all outstanding. Our family visits NYC 2-3 times per year for fun, and we will never stay anywhere else again when we visit the city. I will also try to stay at a Kimpton Hotel when we visit other cities. I encourage you to visit The Muse, and bring your dog with - you won't be disappointed.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
Lulu E, Manager at Kimpton Muse Hotel, responded to this review, 30 July 2012
We are so sorry for your loss. We're pleased you didn't postpone the vacation and I know it could not have been an easy decision. I'm happy we were able to help take your mind off it for a moment while you enjoy NYC. I hope we see you back soon!