“Street noisy boutique” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Kimpton Muse Hotel

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Kimpton Muse Hotel
Ranked #51 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Dallas, Texas, USA
“Street noisy boutique”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 September 2012

I really like Kimpton hotels. While my room layout was odd, with a narrow hallway separating the bedroom to the bathroom, the street noise was bad. Every night. Until nearly 11. Bad.

I called the first night to complain about the construction. The person I spoke said there wasn't any construction. Which was weird, because there was quite a bit of noise coming from outside. Apparently it wasn't construction but trash compactors on the trucks, cleaning up construction trash and other buildings trash. This is typical in NY, as is street noise, but the windows must lack any insulation that would block the noise.

They kinda throughout the possibility of moving rooms but assured me the noise would die down soon. Which it did, close to 11. The same thing for all four nights I was there. Honestly the last thing I wanted to do after a 12-14 hour day of work was pack up all my stuff to move to go down stairs, get a new room, and have to unpack all over again. I stuck it out and it wasn't great.

If you don't try to relax until after 11, then ask for a ground floor room.

I chose The Muse because it was close to my new office, which unfortunately is also very close to Times Square. It's not too bad, it's just navigating through the tourists, but since I usually was out before they got on the streets and in after they were wrapping up their day of sightseeing, I rarely had a problem with the area.

I am heading back in a month and rolled the dice with The Muse again. I want to see if the experience is better on a high floor. My guess, based upon reading other reviews, is that my experience will be much better.

Room Tip: High floor, if you get anything lower than 6, I'd refuse it.
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
4 Thank Ryan M

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (686)
  • Polish first
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 September 2012

We stayed at this hotel for a long girls weekend. The location is right off Times Square. The rooms are sound proof becasue we didn't hear any noise. The staff was so freindly. They have a wine happy hour daily so its a nice way to meet new people or just enjoy a glass of free wine!

Room Tip: We had an executive suite which was gorgeous and spacious for New York. The only down fault of the h...
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Lulu E, Manager at Kimpton Muse Hotel, responded to this review, 26 September 2012
Thank you for a five star review! We are ecstatic we got to host your group, we're all about complimentary wine hour and hanging with the girls! We would love to welcome you back soon!
Wellington, New Zealand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 September 2012

We were only there for a short stay but it was great. The location was perfect and the staff were very helpful and friendly. The room was really comfortable, clean and very nice. We just stepped out and round the corner were in the heart of Times Square....So easy to get anywhere. There was also complimentry tea & Coffee in the mornings in the lobby and other refreshments during the day.

Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Anne-Marie G
Tegucigalpa, Honduras
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 September 2012

We celebrated our tenth anniversary in NYC and stayed at The Muse for one week. Champagne and a welcome letter awaited for us when we got there. Concierge service was excellent with good suggestions of where to go and quick response in reservations and directions. Everyone was very kind and friendly and contributed to making our trip a memorable one. Rooms are not that big, like almost every hotel in NY, but big enough. Bathroom has a large counter, good shower head. There is a long list of articles they can give you in case you forget, including cell phone chargers, and many other small details like an umbrella in your room in case it rains. There is a 24 hour deli a few doors away from the hotel where you can find a large selection of wines, drinks, water, etc. Steps away from metro stations, times square, Rockefeller Center, etc. Will stay at The Muse next time we are in NY. To the Hotel staff: thanks for making this stay a great one!!!

1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 September 2012 via mobile

The rooms are cute, but the excavation project next door involves dump trucks making such a racket that even conversation in our room is difficult. To add insult to injury, this project had been going on all week, but the front desk played dumb when we started asking about the noise in the early evening. Finally, my husband went outside to talk to the construction crew to get the truth. We are checking into the Hyatt tomorrow. We don't expect absolute quiet in NYC, but the hotel should warn guests about construction projects that last past midnight, don't you think?

Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Anne K
Oxford, England
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 September 2012

I stayed here last week (Sep 5th -9th) and I loved the hotel. Location was fantastic and the staff were wonderful, especially the doormen and Sarah on concierge. The room was a good size with a lovely bathroom, and the kingsize bed was so comfortable I could only describe it as "delicious"! Walk to the end of the road and you're at times square, you couldnt ask for a more central location, it was so easy to "pop" back to and drop your many shopping bags off! I would definately stay here again. Nice touch with the free coffee and tea in the morning, iced fruity water throughout the day and an evening wine reception - really made you feel welcome. Make sure you visit the lobby bathrooms - unique!

1 Thank LisaOxford_England
Lulu E, Manager at Kimpton Muse Hotel, responded to this review, 23 October 2012
Hello LisaOxford_England,

Five out of Five Wow! Thank you for writing about your experience! Sarah and our doormen are absolutely lovely and we are so blessed to have them. We may have to start using the word "delicious" to describe our super comfy beds so thank you for that as well! We look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Thank you!
Lulu
Dallas, Texas, United States
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 September 2012

Visited New York over Labor Day weekend...I haven't been there in ages so I was very excited. The Muse hotel definitely didn't disappoint! The location is fantastic if you're planning on shopping and going to lots of shows. The weather was superb so we walked to the shows and to a few stores. Restaurants nearby were plentiful. And there was a Brazillian street festival on the street in front of and surrounding the hotel - the food was awesome and music was great.

The staff at the hotel was outstanding. They were polite and friendly. They had Tootsie Rolls at the front desk. The doormen were particularly kind and knowledgable. And the girl working the front desk on Sunday night (I wish I could remember her name!) was kind enough to run to a store nearby for a bottle of champagne because room service was closed.

The room was nice. Small, but from what I understand that's par for the course in NYC, beautifully decorated. We were "upgraded" to a room with a balcony, which we never used, and in hindsight I would've preferred to be upgraded to a suite with two rooms so we'd have a larger sitting area. We slept beautifully. We stayed on the 15th floor and I'm not sure if I was exhausted or the windows were well insulated but the blare of the city stayed outside.

I was excited to see The Muse provided the cute animal print robes. The robes in our room felt well worn.The robe was missing a belt loop. In the closet, they had very comfy socks available for purchase. I used mine because I needed a pair like that for travel anyway, but a simple pair of slippers would have been nice. Usually when a hotel provides a robe they also provide the slippers. Also the drain in the tub was slow, very slow, and we called the front desk to have it repaired before we returned. That was never done. This wouldn't be a huge deal but when you're showering all of the gross dirt would collect at the bottom of the tub. We had to scrub the tub between each shower because nothing went down the drain. That was gross. I received a flower delivery while we were staying there and was informed a $10 porterage charge would be added my final bill. That was disappointing and, in my opinion, an unnecessary fee.

Overall, we enjoyed our stay at The Muse. I would definitely stay there again. I love Kimpton properties and this property definitely had all the trappings and familiarity of a Kimpton combined with the cool flavor of New York City.

Room Tip: I stayed on the 15th floor and barely heard any noise from the surrounding neighborhood. If you can...
1 Thank HelloGorJess