“Muse was Magnificent!”

Ranked #56 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Cincinnati, Ohio
“Muse was Magnificent!”
Reviewed 3 March 2014

I've been a Kimpton member for years but this was my first stay at one of their hotels. We had tickets to several Broadway shows and a limited amount of time, so we opted to stay in the theater district. After being disappointed with the rates, location and noise of most, I stumbled on the Muse. What a great find!. Not only did we get an upgrade to their premium room on an upper floor, this was the first NYC hotel where the hallways, lobby and restaurants were great too! Loved the free hot chocolate, wine tasting and vibe of the Muse. Special thanks to the concierge staff, notably Ivana who suggested restaurants in advance of our visit and stirred us to spontaneous choices once there. We will return!

Room Tip: Go for an upper floor for a more quiet stay.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
ManagerMuse, Manager at Kimpton Muse Hotel, responded to this review, 8 March 2014
Dear JamesMaxx,

Thank you for the MAGNIFICENT review! We love that you have been a Kimpton Member and finally got to stay with us!

It’s also great to know that our location was perfect for your Broadway show getaway.

Thank you for mentioning our Concierge team. It’s always great to get a New Yorkers suggestion on their favorite spots to go to.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (702)
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Newport, Washington
Reviewed 2 March 2014

What a great location! Wine reception every evening helped set the mood for a night out on the town. We had a suite and it was had a lot of square feet for a Manhattan hotel. I didn't ask for a cab on the day of departure but the front desk overheard us talking and had one waiting for us at 3:30 AM!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
ManagerMuse, Manager at Kimpton Muse Hotel, responded to this review, 4 March 2014
Dear Bryan H,

Thank you for the five star review. We are delighted to know you enjoyed our location.

Our Muse team is pretty talented in arranging special surprises for our guests, even when it’s as simple as a taxi at 3:30am!
Brockville
Reviewed 2 March 2014

The Muse is a wonderful hotel; the professionalism of all the staff, the room decor and cleanliness, the location (we walked to theaters, Rockefeller Center, restaurants etc.). Our visit was to celebrate my husband's 90th birthday. On check-in we found a 'decorated' room - a birthday banner across the head board, balloons, 90 on the duvet cover in sparkles, a birthday card, chilled sparkling water and a tray of mini cupcakes - this was not expected at all!
Throughout our stay everyone was knowledgeable and willing to assist; the hotel was clean and appealing. We enjoyed breakfast and one dinner in the dining room; food choices were varied and the food was nicely presented and good. Happy hour in the foyer was a lovely gesture (we attended on one evening). Staying at The Muse can't help but make you feel special and relaxed, in the midst of a very busy city! We would definitely choose The Muse again.
Thank You.

Dear Helen S,

Thank you for the fabulous review! We are thrilled to know that our team was able to provide such a memorable and special 90th birthday trip!

Thank you for mentioning Nios. We are happy to know you enjoyed your dining experience with us.

We look forward to welcoming you and your husband back.
Westport, Connecticut
Reviewed 1 March 2014

We love the Muse and have been staying there at least once a year for 3 years. We feel very comfortable there, and our kids love it (especially the lobby bathrooms!).

While the staff is always friendly and helpful, especially the bell staff, I recently have found the front desk staff less helpful and cheerful than in the past.

Still, the location, the value, and the comfort makes this our go-to place!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Gigi180
Dear Gigi180,

Thank you for your review.

We love knowing that we are your families go to hotel in New York City and we love having you stay with us.

We have shared your comments with our team to ensure we are providing exemplary service each and every stay.

We look forward to having you stay with us again!
Temecula, California
Reviewed 27 February 2014 via mobile

Right off Times Square and Rockafeller on the other side!! My 5th time here and I love it. They have scaled back a lot lately like most hotels. Sadly no mini bar as there are sodas in the fridge but warm as they don't do cold fridges now. First time not getting an amenity in my room. The entry door was extremely heavy and we struggled to open it while a doorman watched. This happened with this same doorman a lot and it was odd not getting the help but one doorman, I hate that I am blanking his name but it was unique like Kema or something, was a delight and charming. They have a nifty hot chocolate bar during the afternoon, coffee tea in am, and wine hour at night. All free. They also don't have the traditional Kimpton goldfish but unless you have a kid with you and are seasoned Kimpton people you won't miss it.

Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
ManagerMuse, Manager at Kimpton Muse Hotel, responded to this review, 28 February 2014
Dear Scubashark0822,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review.

We do want to apologize about your mini bar not cooling. We will have our engineering team check out the mini bars to ensure we get this fixed. Please know we do offer complimentary mini fridges which we can send to your room to store any additional items you may have.

Thank you for mentioning one of our doormen as providing you great service. We do thank you about the feedback about the lobby doors. We have made sure to share your comments with our team to ensure we are assisting with opening the doors at all times.

We look forward to having you stay a 6th time with us! Reach out to one of our team next time and we can see what we can do about the goldfish!
New York City, New York
Reviewed 26 February 2014

I have to preface this review by saying I am an avid Kimpton fan. I have stayed at over 15 of their properties including 2 of the other 3 in New York City.

That being said I booked a 'staycation' at The Muse for an overnight as a last minute birthday gift for my boyfriend. Given the last minute nature of the booking I wasn't expecting much in terms of inner circle amenities so I was pleasantly surprised with the balloons and Muse chocolate cab they provided in the room it made for a great first impression. The staff was friendly and we had a great night. My boyfriend really enjoyed the hot chocolate bar in the lobby.

I just feel like The Muse is missing some of the sparkle of some of the other Kimpton hotels in particular the other NYC hotels. While I was upgraded to a larger room the room I was in was a bit run down. With a piece broken off one of the drawers and some other things that didn't work or were pretty chipped. The minibar had an expired coke in it that I didn't realize until I drank it and realized the taste was off. I had booked a rate that included breakfast the next morning and I don't know it its because it was a slow Sunday but the pastries all tasted at least a day old, the fruit didn't look appetizing at all, and there was no granola.

None of the above were "deal breakers" for me. I still think the Kimpton brand as a whole is ahead of other hotel chains, I'm just not used to seeing some of the things that I saw at this Kimpton at other properties. I wanted to go with a 3.5 for the location but went up to a 4 just because of my brand loyalty. If it came down to it I would recommend either Eventi or Ink 48 in New York over The Muse if location isn't an issue. For tourists looking to be close enough to Time Square, Broadway, Radio City etc this may be the perfect Kimpton for you.

Dear JodyKitcher,

Thank you so much for your review. We greatly appreciate your loyalty and are so happy we were able to create a special experience during your birthday stay.

We will make sure to focus on the areas you mentioned that are in need of attention. We hope to have the chance to welcome you back in the future so you can see the improvements and make sure your stay is full of the Kimpton sparkle!
East Hartford, Connecticut
Reviewed 23 February 2014

My wife and I had a planned getaway that was cancelled due to weather-related flight cancellations. To make up for that, I was looking for a special getaway closer to home. After some internet searching and checking with TripAdvisor, I found The Muse and the spa suite. I am very glad I did.

The room was really spacious for NYC. The jacuzzi tub was fantastic - great size, plenty of hot water. There was a separate shower that was large and very nice.

The bed was very comfortable. The room was well appointed with two TV's, and an iPhone/iPod doc/radio, mini bar (Klimpton InTouch members (I signed up for free before I went) get $15 for free from the mini bar),and bathroom amenities.

The other huge positive for this hotel - the location! Is it on 46th, about midway between 6th and 7th. 46th is not a very busy street. So it is extremely close to Times Square and Rockefeller Center, but just far enough away that the street noise was barely noticeable (we were on the 14th floor).

We did not try the restaurant or bar.

The only small downside - the thermostat in the room didn't do much. We were there on some cold days in February, and the room stayed at a comfortable temperature. However, turning it down for the night didn't make much difference.

We would gladly go back here because of the location. We won't always splurge for the spa suite, but try one of the regular rooms.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
ManagerMuse, Manager at Kimpton Muse Hotel, responded to this review, 25 February 2014
Dear KDAA,

Thank you so much for the fantastic review!
The spa suite is definitely a special room. We love it too!

We are so happy you had the chance to visit us and we hope to see you back soon.