“Amazing Service In Times Square”
Review of Kimpton Muse Hotel

Kimpton Muse Hotel
Ranked #84 of 471 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 27 May 2014

I stayed here in late May with my wife and daughter. We live in NY and have stayed in various hotels over the years in NYC. While Times Square is not my favorite area of NYC by far, this hotel made it tolerable.This hotel is part of the Kimpton chain which I'm very fond of. We had an executive king suite on the top floor (19.) It was facing 45th street and as quiet as you're going to get in this area of NYC. I'm used to a certain level of noise, but light sleepers should always use ear plugs in NYC. The room wasn't huge (about 400-425 Sq Feet according to the website.) But it was laid out perfectly with a sliding door to separate the living room from the bedroom. The bathroom had the hottest water known to man. You'll need to be mindful of this.

What set this hotel apart was the outstanding service. In fact, I received better service at this hotel from everyone I encountered, than I have at hotels twice the price. Everyone at the front desk was amazing. The bellmen were efficient and could not have been more helpful. This boutique chain prides itself on service and it shows. If you want a nice hotel right in the middle of Times Square (or at least down the street) and want service that feels like you're staying in a 5 star hotel, this is the place to go. This comes from someone who is not the easiest customer. I expect to get what I pay for. At The Muse, you get what you pay for in terms of a good room and outstanding service.

Room Tip: Get a suite on a high floor.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
ManagerMuse, Manager at Kimpton Muse Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 May 2014

Dear CrapsCPA,

Reviews like this make us smile!

We are so happy you enjoyed your stay with us and your room.

Thank you for mentioning our team as providing exemplary service! We are so happy to know that we exceeded your expectations.

We look forward to welcoming you back again!

Write a ReviewReviews (3,316)

Reviewed 27 May 2014

I’ve enjoyed staying in Kimpton hotels for years and really appreciate the quality the brand typically delivers. I stayed in NYC Muse location 18MAY14-21MAY14, however and had what I can honestly say was the worst hotel experience of my life.
• Black mold in bathroom was shocking, like nightmare inducing shocking. The front desk was kind enough to move me to another room but it was already 3am by this time! I will say that the Front desk manager left a bottle of wine in my room for this which was greatly appreciated but as the trip continued to deteriorate, so did the accountability.
• No black out curtains in rooms - I arrived in NY at 2am, sure would have been nice to be able to sleep past 6am.
• No hot water for 2 days, when I called the desk to enquire if I should continue to let the water run or try again later, Rosalie hung up on me. I called the Assistant Manager who explained it was a city problem. I understand that these things happen but I don't think I ever deserved to be hung up on.
• I called hours ahead of time for a car to take me to the airport at my check out time. In spite of being in the lobby 10 mins before my pick up time and letting the doorman know I was there, I still had a wait of 30mins. Finally, I approached the doorman to see what was going on and he told me to "go down to the corner" and flag a cab myself. Are you kidding me? I had to schlepp my suitcases down to the corner and get a cab in an unfamiliar city because he couldn't do his job. I nearly missed my flight (arrived literally 2 mins before cut off) and experienced a LOT of unnecessary stress.
The Assistant Manager offered me a free nights stay for the inconvenience due to the water (this was before the airport car nightmare), which was very kind but to be honest, you couldn't pay me to stay at this location again. I instead asked if the coupon could be used at any location but it's been 3 days since this request and no one has gotten back to me. It appears that there must be no Manager at this location as I am unable to get past the Assistant Manager level.
I travel a lot and I understand that things don't always go as expected but what I find is a true indication of quality is the way situations are handled and the staff at this location has come up very poorly in this case. I'm really dissatisfied. It's a shame because I really liked the Kimpton brand.

Room Tip: choose a different hotel.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
7  Thank M W

Dear M W,

We are so sorry for the inconveniences you experienced during your visit... seeing that there was an issue in your first room, it is good to see we were able to move you to a more comfortable room.

I do apologize, again, for you being with us during the city water issue. Thankfully, this has all been rectified, and hopefully, will not disturb our guests in the future.

We have reached out to the affected guests during the water shortage and will make sure whatever was promised is met. I hope you continue to visit our Kimpton properties. If we can assist with anything further or if you do consider to travel to us again, please reach out to tripadvisor@themusehotel.com. We would love to have the opportunity to welcome you back!

Reviewed 27 May 2014

Our stay in The Muse Hotel started off like it might be a bad one (although please note I've given it 5 stars so keep reading). The first two mornings we were there were marred by the fact that there was no water at all, the taps sucked in air rather than delivering us any water! This was not the hotel's fault though, as it was out for the whole block. The concierge desk kept us up to date on the situation and sent us up some bottled water on the first day and then on the second day offered us a free breakfast in the restaurant. In other words, while the situation wasn't good, I feel they handled it very well.

My partner and I stayed in a Premier Suite with a balcony and we were both very pleased with the room, it was a great size, very well kept and offered a living room and bedroom (both with TVs) and a lovely balcony with nice furniture. My partner felt the bed was a little hard, but it was perfect for me! When the water was working, the shower water pressure was second to none! Very nice!

It was my partner's 30th birthday while we were there and they delivered us a free bottle of bubbly which was good of them. They also wished him an early happy birthday when we checked in which was a nice touch.

The Wi-fi in the hotel (which is free if you sign up to the free Kimpton InTouch service) was probably among the best I've encountered in a hotel, excellent coverage and fairly quick too. Kimpton Intouch also gave us $15 off our final bill for 'Raid the Bar' which was a nice surprise when it came to checking out. We found the staff to be very friendly, always offering a greeting in the morning whether they were concierge or housekeeping, and the door man arranged for a car to take us back to the airport just to ensure we got there on time (it was Memorial Day weekend so could have been difficult)

The hotel excellently located right off Times Square so we expected a bit of street noise but it was fine in our room which was on the 15th floor.

We had a lovely meal in the attached restaurant for my Partner's birthday, the food and service were both excellent.

All-in-all we had a superb time staying at The Muse Hotel and we wouldn't hesitate to return.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Myrrlin,

Thank you for the great FIVE review!

We are thrilled you enjoyed your stay with us.

We do apologize for the issue you initially experienced with regards to the water in the area being turned off. However we are so happy to know we were able to turn this around for you and your partner.

We are so happy to know that you enjoyed your room and thank you for joining our Kimpton Intouch loyalty program.

We look forward to welcoming you back again!

Reviewed 26 May 2014

We stayed 1 night only as came to NYC for an event. We booked king room on line but were given a double. We were told double was much larger and so we did not make a fuss. The room was large but the extra space was all in the entrance which was huge but really wasted space. We were on 14th floor and was very loud. We have stayed at many hotels in NYC and this was loudest ever. The next morning the toilet would not flush. We were told there were some water pressure issues in the hotel. As we were trying to leave we had to have someone come to our room to fix it. Work out room was small and TV's on both elliptical's did not work. After I worked out and my husband ran, we realized there was absolutely no hot water. I mean it was FREEZING COLD!!! When we called front desk and they were very rude. Said was a problem in whole hotel and nothing they could do about it. They did not offer us anything and seemed annoyed. We payed $600 for one night and I expected much more for that money. We requested a discount as we were leaving and the gave us $100 refund. We should not have had to ask and they should have given us more. Only positives are room is good size for NYC, parking attendants were very nice, location is good, and room was clean.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Agouti
ManagerMuse, Manager at Kimpton Muse Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 May 2014

Dear Agouti,

Thank you for reaching out to us. We appreciate your feedback about your stay. I see there were a number of issues you experienced.

First, I would like to apologize you were dissatisfied with your room type. If, at anytime, you are not 100% happy with your room, we will do our best to find something more suitable for you. Our team wanted to have you feel as comfortable as possible, hence the reason for the high floor and larger room; we are sorry that we did not meet your needs.

In addition, we do apologize you experienced the water issue. We tried to assist every guest that was involved during this time. We are very sorry we couldn't have helped you more.

We welcome you to reach out to us at tripadvisor@themusehotel.com if you would like to discuss your stay further.

We hope you do consider the Muse in the future, as we would love to provide you with a true Kimpton experience!

Reviewed 25 May 2014 via mobile

A sweet spot in a great location one block from Time Square. Comfortable well decorated rooms, with cloud like bedding that will put you right to sleep. Front desk staff is extremely helpful and went out of their way to get us a cab on a very rainy night. In house restaurant and bar. Couldn't be more pleased.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
ManagerMuse, Manager at Kimpton Muse Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 May 2014

Dear Rhett,

Thank you for the great review.

We are thrilled you enjoyed your stay with us. Thank you for mentioning our team as providing great service.

We look forward to welcoming you back again.

Reviewed 25 May 2014

I stayed at Muse New York in July of 2012 for the first time. The room was larger, newer, and more comfortable than any room I'd stayed in NYC thus far. It was clean, cool, and comfortable. My issues were: a bit of noise from the street (I was on a lower floor), no fridge, microwave, coffee, or tea in the room, I ordered room service once, and noted my food allergy, and it was not accommodated with the meal I received. Also, I moved, then returned, an item from the mini fridge, and was charged for it, despite my not taking it. All in all, the hotel is nice, and we are returning the second week of June. I just wish amenities like fridge and coffee were available in-room. A fridge would be more helpful than a minibar for people like me who have dietary restrictions and may need to purchase their own food items.

Room Tip: I had a corner room. It was nice and quiet.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business

Dear SDGB1011,

Thank you for your review. We are happy to know that you liked the size of the room.

Yes, our honor bars are weight censored, so when items are moved around they do show up on the bill however we are always here to rectify this.

Please know we do offer complementary mini fridges and coffee makers per request and we would be happy to ensure one on your next stay. Please reach out us at tripadvisor@themusehotel.com so we can note these requests on your reservation.

See you soon.

Reviewed 21 May 2014

Perfect location for a hotel. Service was good. A few minor problems with the room - but the staff quickly resolved. Boutique style high end hotel.

I would not recommend the restaurant. Sub-par and pricey.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank MoMofooko
ManagerMuse, Manager at Kimpton Muse Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 May 2014

Dear MoMofooko,

Thank you for the review. We love you too!

We do apologize about the issues you experienced but pleased to know we were able to get these rectified.

We hope to welcome you back again. Please feel free to reach out to us at tripadvisor@themusehotel.com to ensure a fabulous stay.