“Muse visit from a native new yorker”
Review of Kimpton Muse Hotel

Kimpton Muse Hotel
Ranked #52 of 467 Hotels in New York City
scottsdale
“Muse visit from a native new yorker”
Reviewed 29 May 2014

I regularly visit NYC for work. I recently changed hotels to try something different. I was pleasantly surprised by The Muse . The Kimpton desk and reservations people were easy to deal with and the room was a good value. The Perks of the wine tasting and great midtown location did not hurt. I am back there next week . Enough said.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
ManagerMuse, Manager at Kimpton Muse Hotel, responded to this review, 30 May 2014
Dear phxdoc,

Thank you for the nice review.

We are so happy that you decided to try something new and come stay with us. We are glad to know we did not disappoint!

We look forward to welcoming you back again very soon!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (692)
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 May 2014

2 night business trip @$320 a room - all perfectly ok however wifi demands that you sign up to the hotel members group and the water was at best tepid the second day - breakfast @ $40 seemed a little steep for a eggs coffee and oj - Staff were good / room clean but it should have been better.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank DLANFRANCHI
Dear DLANFRANCHI,

Thank you for your review. We appreciate the feedback.

We have made sure to pass along your comments regarding the breakfast to our restaurant managers.

We do offer Wi-Fi which is $13 per day however always suggest our guests sign up to our Kimpton Intouch loyalty program. The Intouch program is free to join and also offers benefits such as the complimentary Wi-Fi, $15 Mini Bar/ bar credit as well as other great benefits.

We hope you do consider the Muse in the future, as we would love to provide you with a true Kimpton experience!
Shaker Heights, Ohio, United States
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Belated review of a stay last February. Hotel is in a great location for theaters. Usual friendly and helpful Kimpton staff and my room was comfortable and nicely-furnished. Bathroom was average. The flaw was in the design of the lobby which allowed gusts of cold air into the bar/restaurant when the front door stayed open for more than a moment -- e.g., every time more than one person entered. We're talking cold enough to be unpleasant. Staff told me they would be renovating to deal with the problem ... so not a bad idea to check on the progress of that renovation if you're looking to stay there any time there's a possibility of very cold weather.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Dear Alan W,

Thank you for the review. We appreciate the feedback.

We are happy to know you enjoyed our location.

Unfortunately New York City experienced a very cold winter which we were not equipped for. However, yes we are in the plans to renovate the doors to ensure all that cold air stays out.

We hope to welcome you back again.
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 28 May 2014

I've been to NYC many times and by the reviews of this hotel and the price (over $300/night+) I expected a great stay. My girlfriend and I were very disappointed! The room was very small, the spring mattress was very uncomfortable as the slightest move could be felt. The air conditioning didn't work properly and when it was on it was very loud! With a single window pane you could hear a lot of nose from the outside. Also, the air in the room was not good. The gym is tiny with very little equipment. Free tea and coffee shuts down early and the lemonade that was there was often empty. I could go on ...

The positive, and why I gave it a two star, is that it was clean and the staff, for the most part, were friendly. They removed one of my breakfast charges. Although people say the location is great given it's right in the middle of the theatre district, I much prefer something outside this area that's more quiet and with better facilities.

I suspect we just lucked out with a bad room and at the same time, I didn't bring my concerns to their attention earlier on. Normally, however, people would call to see if everything is OK.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank chris d
Dear chris d,

Thank you for your review. We appreciate the feedback.

First, I would like to apologize for the issue you experienced with the bed and the HVAC unit. If ever you are dissatisfied or have problems such as these we will do our best to ensure this gets rectified or move you to a more suitable room.

In addition, we do have the complimentary tea and coffee in the morning from 7am-11am however, also offer complimentary coffee makers upon request for you to enjoy in the comfort of your room.

We welcome you to reach out to us at tripadvisor@themusehotel.com if you would like to discuss your stay further.

NY
Reviewed 27 May 2014

I stayed here in late May with my wife and daughter. We live in NY and have stayed in various hotels over the years in NYC. While Times Square is not my favorite area of NYC by far, this hotel made it tolerable.This hotel is part of the Kimpton chain which I'm very fond of. We had an executive king suite on the top floor (19.) It was facing 45th street and as quiet as you're going to get in this area of NYC. I'm used to a certain level of noise, but light sleepers should always use ear plugs in NYC. The room wasn't huge (about 400-425 Sq Feet according to the website.) But it was laid out perfectly with a sliding door to separate the living room from the bedroom. The bathroom had the hottest water known to man. You'll need to be mindful of this.

What set this hotel apart was the outstanding service. In fact, I received better service at this hotel from everyone I encountered, than I have at hotels twice the price. Everyone at the front desk was amazing. The bellmen were efficient and could not have been more helpful. This boutique chain prides itself on service and it shows. If you want a nice hotel right in the middle of Times Square (or at least down the street) and want service that feels like you're staying in a 5 star hotel, this is the place to go. This comes from someone who is not the easiest customer. I expect to get what I pay for. At The Muse, you get what you pay for in terms of a good room and outstanding service.

Room Tip: Get a suite on a high floor.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Dear CrapsCPA,

Reviews like this make us smile!

We are so happy you enjoyed your stay with us and your room.

Thank you for mentioning our team as providing exemplary service! We are so happy to know that we exceeded your expectations.

We look forward to welcoming you back again!
Vancouver
Reviewed 27 May 2014

I’ve enjoyed staying in Kimpton hotels for years and really appreciate the quality the brand typically delivers. I stayed in NYC Muse location 18MAY14-21MAY14, however and had what I can honestly say was the worst hotel experience of my life.
• Black mold in bathroom was shocking, like nightmare inducing shocking. The front desk was kind enough to move me to another room but it was already 3am by this time! I will say that the Front desk manager left a bottle of wine in my room for this which was greatly appreciated but as the trip continued to deteriorate, so did the accountability.
• No black out curtains in rooms - I arrived in NY at 2am, sure would have been nice to be able to sleep past 6am.
• No hot water for 2 days, when I called the desk to enquire if I should continue to let the water run or try again later, Rosalie hung up on me. I called the Assistant Manager who explained it was a city problem. I understand that these things happen but I don't think I ever deserved to be hung up on.
• I called hours ahead of time for a car to take me to the airport at my check out time. In spite of being in the lobby 10 mins before my pick up time and letting the doorman know I was there, I still had a wait of 30mins. Finally, I approached the doorman to see what was going on and he told me to "go down to the corner" and flag a cab myself. Are you kidding me? I had to schlepp my suitcases down to the corner and get a cab in an unfamiliar city because he couldn't do his job. I nearly missed my flight (arrived literally 2 mins before cut off) and experienced a LOT of unnecessary stress.
The Assistant Manager offered me a free nights stay for the inconvenience due to the water (this was before the airport car nightmare), which was very kind but to be honest, you couldn't pay me to stay at this location again. I instead asked if the coupon could be used at any location but it's been 3 days since this request and no one has gotten back to me. It appears that there must be no Manager at this location as I am unable to get past the Assistant Manager level.
I travel a lot and I understand that things don't always go as expected but what I find is a true indication of quality is the way situations are handled and the staff at this location has come up very poorly in this case. I'm really dissatisfied. It's a shame because I really liked the Kimpton brand.

Room Tip: choose a different hotel.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
7 Thank M W
Dear M W,

We are so sorry for the inconveniences you experienced during your visit... seeing that there was an issue in your first room, it is good to see we were able to move you to a more comfortable room.

I do apologize, again, for you being with us during the city water issue. Thankfully, this has all been rectified, and hopefully, will not disturb our guests in the future.

We have reached out to the affected guests during the water shortage and will make sure whatever was promised is met. I hope you continue to visit our Kimpton properties. If we can assist with anything further or if you do consider to travel to us again, please reach out to tripadvisor@themusehotel.com. We would love to have the opportunity to welcome you back!
Harwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 May 2014

Our stay in The Muse Hotel started off like it might be a bad one (although please note I've given it 5 stars so keep reading). The first two mornings we were there were marred by the fact that there was no water at all, the taps sucked in air rather than delivering us any water! This was not the hotel's fault though, as it was out for the whole block. The concierge desk kept us up to date on the situation and sent us up some bottled water on the first day and then on the second day offered us a free breakfast in the restaurant. In other words, while the situation wasn't good, I feel they handled it very well.

My partner and I stayed in a Premier Suite with a balcony and we were both very pleased with the room, it was a great size, very well kept and offered a living room and bedroom (both with TVs) and a lovely balcony with nice furniture. My partner felt the bed was a little hard, but it was perfect for me! When the water was working, the shower water pressure was second to none! Very nice!

It was my partner's 30th birthday while we were there and they delivered us a free bottle of bubbly which was good of them. They also wished him an early happy birthday when we checked in which was a nice touch.

The Wi-fi in the hotel (which is free if you sign up to the free Kimpton InTouch service) was probably among the best I've encountered in a hotel, excellent coverage and fairly quick too. Kimpton Intouch also gave us $15 off our final bill for 'Raid the Bar' which was a nice surprise when it came to checking out. We found the staff to be very friendly, always offering a greeting in the morning whether they were concierge or housekeeping, and the door man arranged for a car to take us back to the airport just to ensure we got there on time (it was Memorial Day weekend so could have been difficult)

The hotel excellently located right off Times Square so we expected a bit of street noise but it was fine in our room which was on the 15th floor.

We had a lovely meal in the attached restaurant for my Partner's birthday, the food and service were both excellent.

All-in-all we had a superb time staying at The Muse Hotel and we wouldn't hesitate to return.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Myrrlin,

Thank you for the great FIVE review!

We are thrilled you enjoyed your stay with us.

We do apologize for the issue you initially experienced with regards to the water in the area being turned off. However we are so happy to know we were able to turn this around for you and your partner.

We are so happy to know that you enjoyed your room and thank you for joining our Kimpton Intouch loyalty program.

We look forward to welcoming you back again!