“Rude Staff”

Ranked #51 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Montreal, Canada
“Rude Staff”
Reviewed 15 November 2010

I usually stay at Kimpton hotels and have stayed numerous times at their other NYC properties, such as the 70 Park and more recently, the Eventi, both of which offered excellent service and great rooms. We checked in on Friday at around 1pm. The front desk attendant told us that if we came back at around 3pm, she could give us a room on a high floor (as we had asked - to avoid the noise). She also had us sign the waiver for our dog. We come back at 3pm, another attendant, by the name of Marc, greets us (if you call "yes?" a greeting) and checks us in on the 4th floor. We tell him that we were waiting for a room on a higher floor. He basically calls us liars, saying that it was impossible that we were told that since we had a dog, and could only stay on a pet floor, which doesn't go any higher than 4th floor. The manager was called in to find a solution, she tells us that she is giving us a room in the back, away from all the noise. We accept, still puzzled as to why we had to wait 2 hours to get a "better" room, when there was no such thing. To our great surprise, we check in the room, only to find out that not only is it not in the back, it's right on 46th street. We basically didn't sleep that night. The next morning, I browse the Kimpton web site to find out that they have a Premiere Balcony room available (we were booked in a Premiere without balcony). Balcony rooms start on the 12th floor and up. Went downstairs, told the staff about my sleepless night, they didn't seem to care. But, after insisting, they agreed to book me in the Premiere Balcony room, even though I had a dog. When I told them about the no pet policy on other floors, clearly, they were caught in a lie as they said that balcony rooms are on high floors and if someone with a pet books it, we have to give it to them. So much for policy. We finally checked into the new room at around 1pm the next day. It was a fabulous room, quiet, clean, etc. Exactly what you'd expect from a $500+ a night hotel.

All this to say that they could of easily made me happy on the first night by giving me a quiet room on a good floor, educating their staff on courtesy and politeness and showing a little more empathy for their guests instead of just giving cold, rude service. I'm not going back to this hotel and not recommending it to anyone.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (692)
  • Polish first
JoeCanuck
Reviewed 12 November 2010

After many stays in midtown with small expensive rooms and high incidental charges, I tried the Muse. It was a gem. Extremely friendly staff, and a great quiet bar - something that will draw me back for sure. Comfortable and trendy rooms. Free Internet and free mini-bar grabs for Kimpton members sealed the deal!

My one negative was that my first night was on the 5th floor overlooking 46th ave, and I spent the entire night listening to garbage trucks... then had to cancel a meeting to grab some sleep in the morning. The staff gave me a 10th floor room in the back for my next night, and it was excellent.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled on business
Bucks
Reviewed 5 November 2010

We stayed here during a 2 week trip around Canada and the US and this was our final main hotel of the trip.
The location is fantastic for Times Square and all the attractions that area has. We arrived during Brazil day and our cab driver discovered Times Square was closed to traffic going down the street Muse is situated on! We bailed and had to walk through hundreds of mad Brazilians to the hotel which was a manic start to the stay!
The hotel is sandwiched between buildings (as are most in NYC) so make sure you reserve a high floor room unless you want to be looking at a wall. We had an 11th floor corner room which was perfect.
My only problem with the room was the air conditioning, it kept waking me up when it kicked in in the night. This is a problem with any of the hotels we stayed in during the trip to be fair and I would rather be disturbed a little by the noise than the whole night due to a steaming hot room without it!
The bar is expensive (although the wine tasting early evening is free and worth a look) as is the food but both are nice and the service was very good. I proposed to my girlfriend whilst we were there (not in the hotel I hasten to add) and they gave us a free glass of champagne when we rolled in that evening after a night at The Boathouse in Central Park (highly recommended if your wallet can handle it!).
Also check out the Irish bar next door, good for a few beers on the way out into town. Avoid the Scottish bar further down though, barmaid from hell works there...
All in all, a very nice hotel, friendly and helpful staff and fantastic location, highly recommended.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
calgary
Reviewed 3 November 2010

This was my second stay in a "Kimpton" hotel and where ever I travel this chain will always be my first choice! The location was excellent - close to Time Square, Theatres and Restaurants. The staff at the hotel are obviously empowered to meet and exceed the expectations of their guests. We missed the hosted happy hour the first night and when we inquired about it the staff member arranged for us to have a cocktail in the lounge. We patronized the lounge another evening and enjoyed wine and some appetizers, which were delicious. We missed the coffee most mornings, when you vacation in New York it usually means late nights and late mornings so my only recommendation would be to have the coffee available longer in the mornings. The rooms are large and very comfortable. When we decided to stay a couple of extra nights there was no problem and they offered us the same nightly rate. My kudos to management and staff for a wonderful experience at The Muse.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with friends
Distributi0nManager, Manager at Kimpton Muse Hotel, responded to this review, 5 November 2010
Dear candaceCalgary,

We sincerely appreciate your generous review and are absolutely honored that you have named Kimpton has your hotel chain of choice! That is probably the biggest compliment we could receive from a guest, so thank you. I'm happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay and that the staff exceeded your expectations. I think the wine hour is a great amenity for our guests so I'm glad the staff was able to arrange for a free cocktail at the bar since you weren't able to make it. We appreciate your insight on extending the coffee hours and I will be sure to pass it along to management. Again, thank you for the great review and we hope to see you again real soon!
Alexandria, VA
Reviewed 17 October 2010

We traveled to NYC with friends for 4 nights of theater-going, good food, and historical sites. We chose The Muse based on Trip Advisor reviews. This Kimpton Hotel has much to offer, including very clean rooms,an excellent location for Broadway Shows/nice restaurants complimentary wine tasking and good morning coffee.
We suggest you have breakfast outside the hotel at The Europa cafe on the corner of 6th Ave. and W. 46th Street. We did not try the much more expensive hotel breakfast, so we really can't provide a comparison.
The staff, with a couple of noticeable exceptions, is generally friendly and helpful. Most staffers were quite cordial, accommodating and knowledgeable about directions to the sites, etc.

Do not expect to stay in a large rooom. However, the rooms are very clean with very comfortable beds. Do not expect to get in your room before check-in at 3:00. This was not a huge problem because we checked the bags at the front desk. It is nice however to get to your room when you first arrive and this does not appear to be a point of accommodation at The Muse. Be sure and see the suite of bathrooms on the main level. Each is unisex and a different name and decor.
WE WOULD STAY HERE AGAIN.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank VAChuck
New York
Reviewed 14 October 2010

The hotel was in a good location and the rooms were beautiful by New York City standards and the clientele was fun and trendy. However the service was merely average and the hotel personnel were not falling over themselves for you or particularly welcoming which may be typical New York City but not appropriate for a $500+ per night pay scale. By comparison, the Thompson Hotel downtown is a similar price and rating yet the service is 100% accommodating and worth the money I found. At the Muse there was no separate concierge and I found the desk attendants adequate at best in suggesting restaurants and activities.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with friends
San Jose, CA
Reviewed 7 October 2010

We stayed here based on other traveler reviews and it is truly great! Quiet area 1/2 block off Times Square. We joined Kimpton which I highly recommend, they gave us a welcome treat and seemed very pleasant. We will check out the other Kimpton hotels after staying here! Great service, large room with comfy beds and spacious sitting area in room and desk. Decent view on 16th floor and nice bath. We walked to Rockefeller center, theater, shopping - great location!!!

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank SanNicola
Distributi0nManager, Manager at Kimpton Muse Hotel, responded to this review, 11 October 2010
Dear SanNicola,

We appreciate you taking your time to review your recent visit to The Muse New York! We're extremely happy to have you part of our Kimpton In Touch Program and I'm happy to hear that you experienced the benefits of being a member. We hope to see you back here at the Muse in the near future!