“A terrific hotel in NYC -- who new?” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Kimpton Muse Hotel

Kimpton Muse Hotel
Ranked #51 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Snellville, Georgia
“A terrific hotel in NYC -- who new?”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 November 2010

Visited for Thanksgiving with family. Muse was even better than expected. Excellent location. Super room. Friendly staff. Convenient and affordable. My best NYC hotel experience ever. Will definitely stay there again.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (685)
  • Polish first
Leigh-on Sea, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 November 2010

My daughter and I stayed here for her 21st. We loved its quirkiness, the hot chocolate in the afternoon and the glass of wine before going out again in the evening. The rooms were well appointed and the toilets in the lobby unusual to say the least !! We had trouble working the TV two nights on the trot much to our embarrassment and the maintenance man was so sweet and helpful. Nothing was too much trouble.
I would recommend skating in Central Park followed by brunch at The Boathouse, lunch at the River Cafe and exploring off the beaten track a bit in Soho and East Village.
Ellis Island was very moving. Would love to return in the summer months to see the contrast from a very chilly January.

• Stayed January 2010
1 Thank boattrainplane
misssiu@aol.com
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 November 2010

My daughter and I stayed at the Muse for the first time last weekend. We go annually in the fall to NYC for shopping and fun. The staff was excellent, especially Nathaniel at Concierge. The property met my expectations and the location can not be beat. The hotel is very clean and well cared for, with the only downside being the noisy HVAC unit.
We will definately stay again.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled with family
São Paulo, Brazil
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 November 2010

Great Location very close to Times Square. Great Staff, anything you ask, they serve you! Wine hour with free wine every day. Very good Room. Perfect Beds.The only bad point is a bit of noise at night when you try to sleep because we're really close to the focus of excitement.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Distributi0nManager, Manager at Kimpton Muse Hotel, responded to this review, 24 November 2010
Dear YuriRemedio,

Thanks so much for taking the time to post your great review! I, too love the location of The Muse- it's perfect. I'm glad you felt the warmth of the staff members and took advantage of the wine hour. Did you know that during the winter months we put out hot coco in the afternoons and hot apple cider during the wine hour... in the lobby of ALL kimpton hotels! YUM.

See you next time!
Montreal, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 November 2010

I usually stay at Kimpton hotels and have stayed numerous times at their other NYC properties, such as the 70 Park and more recently, the Eventi, both of which offered excellent service and great rooms. We checked in on Friday at around 1pm. The front desk attendant told us that if we came back at around 3pm, she could give us a room on a high floor (as we had asked - to avoid the noise). She also had us sign the waiver for our dog. We come back at 3pm, another attendant, by the name of Marc, greets us (if you call "yes?" a greeting) and checks us in on the 4th floor. We tell him that we were waiting for a room on a higher floor. He basically calls us liars, saying that it was impossible that we were told that since we had a dog, and could only stay on a pet floor, which doesn't go any higher than 4th floor. The manager was called in to find a solution, she tells us that she is giving us a room in the back, away from all the noise. We accept, still puzzled as to why we had to wait 2 hours to get a "better" room, when there was no such thing. To our great surprise, we check in the room, only to find out that not only is it not in the back, it's right on 46th street. We basically didn't sleep that night. The next morning, I browse the Kimpton web site to find out that they have a Premiere Balcony room available (we were booked in a Premiere without balcony). Balcony rooms start on the 12th floor and up. Went downstairs, told the staff about my sleepless night, they didn't seem to care. But, after insisting, they agreed to book me in the Premiere Balcony room, even though I had a dog. When I told them about the no pet policy on other floors, clearly, they were caught in a lie as they said that balcony rooms are on high floors and if someone with a pet books it, we have to give it to them. So much for policy. We finally checked into the new room at around 1pm the next day. It was a fabulous room, quiet, clean, etc. Exactly what you'd expect from a $500+ a night hotel.

All this to say that they could of easily made me happy on the first night by giving me a quiet room on a good floor, educating their staff on courtesy and politeness and showing a little more empathy for their guests instead of just giving cold, rude service. I'm not going back to this hotel and not recommending it to anyone.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
JoeCanuck
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 November 2010

After many stays in midtown with small expensive rooms and high incidental charges, I tried the Muse. It was a gem. Extremely friendly staff, and a great quiet bar - something that will draw me back for sure. Comfortable and trendy rooms. Free Internet and free mini-bar grabs for Kimpton members sealed the deal!

My one negative was that my first night was on the 5th floor overlooking 46th ave, and I spent the entire night listening to garbage trucks... then had to cancel a meeting to grab some sleep in the morning. The staff gave me a 10th floor room in the back for my next night, and it was excellent.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled on business
Bucks
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 November 2010

We stayed here during a 2 week trip around Canada and the US and this was our final main hotel of the trip.
The location is fantastic for Times Square and all the attractions that area has. We arrived during Brazil day and our cab driver discovered Times Square was closed to traffic going down the street Muse is situated on! We bailed and had to walk through hundreds of mad Brazilians to the hotel which was a manic start to the stay!
The hotel is sandwiched between buildings (as are most in NYC) so make sure you reserve a high floor room unless you want to be looking at a wall. We had an 11th floor corner room which was perfect.
My only problem with the room was the air conditioning, it kept waking me up when it kicked in in the night. This is a problem with any of the hotels we stayed in during the trip to be fair and I would rather be disturbed a little by the noise than the whole night due to a steaming hot room without it!
The bar is expensive (although the wine tasting early evening is free and worth a look) as is the food but both are nice and the service was very good. I proposed to my girlfriend whilst we were there (not in the hotel I hasten to add) and they gave us a free glass of champagne when we rolled in that evening after a night at The Boathouse in Central Park (highly recommended if your wallet can handle it!).
Also check out the Irish bar next door, good for a few beers on the way out into town. Avoid the Scottish bar further down though, barmaid from hell works there...
All in all, a very nice hotel, friendly and helpful staff and fantastic location, highly recommended.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple