Kimpton Muse Hotel
Ranked #66 of 470 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 29 November 2010

My wife, 2 daughters and myself traveled to NYC the week of Thanksgiving to celebrate my daughter's birthday and celebrate Thansgiving with the Macy's parade, etc. We booked The Muse based on price and location. This was the perfect hotel. We have stayed at The Plaza, Waldorf, and other hotels. The Muse has it all. The location was fantastic. You are steps from Time's Square without the noise and crowded feeling. You are only a few blocks from Radio City Music Hall, and Rockefeller Center. We were able to wake up in the morning and make it to the Today show every morning in minutes to view the concerts they put on. We went to the Rockette Christmas Spectacular and were able to walk within 5 minutes. The subway locations are perfect as you can jump on one and be anywhere in the city within minutes.

The staff were great. I called the hotel a week prior to our arrival, and spoke with Marc. I informed him of my daughter's birthday being the day after we arrive, and he had cupcakes and a card ready for her when we checked in. He booked our Thanksgiving lunch at Benjamin's for us prior to the arrival. Anything we asked for, the staff were there to help with.

The beds were extremely comfortable, as was the rooms. Every day they would have coffee, and hot chocolate out for the guests in the lobby. At 5:30 every night there would be wine for the guests in the lobby. The restaraunt was very good, and the food arrived fast.

I can honestly say that I will never stay at another hotel when I am in Manhattan again. We were made to feel as though we were the most important people in the hotel, and this is how they treated all the guests that I could see.

You will not be disappointed!

1  Thank familytravel75
Distributi0nManager, Manager at Kimpton Muse Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 December 2010

Dear Familytravel75,

I am so glad that all of the staff at The Muse made you and your family feel so special! Thank you so much for choosing to stay with us for the special time of both a birthday and Thanksgiving. We really appreciate your positive review. As they say, location location location- and you are right, The Muse certainly has got that!

Thanks again for taking the time to post. See you next time you come to NYC. Did you hear about our loyalty program called Kimpton InTouch? Definitely check that out as you can be eligiable for complimentary upgrades and free mini bar items!

Write a ReviewReviews (3,280)

Reviewed 28 November 2010

Visited for Thanksgiving with family. Muse was even better than expected. Excellent location. Super room. Friendly staff. Convenient and affordable. My best NYC hotel experience ever. Will definitely stay there again.

Reviewed 23 November 2010

My daughter and I stayed here for her 21st. We loved its quirkiness, the hot chocolate in the afternoon and the glass of wine before going out again in the evening. The rooms were well appointed and the toilets in the lobby unusual to say the least !! We had trouble working the TV two nights on the trot much to our embarrassment and the maintenance man was so sweet and helpful. Nothing was too much trouble.
I would recommend skating in Central Park followed by brunch at The Boathouse, lunch at the River Cafe and exploring off the beaten track a bit in Soho and East Village.
Ellis Island was very moving. Would love to return in the summer months to see the contrast from a very chilly January.

• Stayed: January 2010
1  Thank boattrainplane
Reviewed 21 November 2010

My daughter and I stayed at the Muse for the first time last weekend. We go annually in the fall to NYC for shopping and fun. The staff was excellent, especially Nathaniel at Concierge. The property met my expectations and the location can not be beat. The hotel is very clean and well cared for, with the only downside being the noisy HVAC unit.
We will definately stay again.

Reviewed 15 November 2010

Great Location very close to Times Square. Great Staff, anything you ask, they serve you! Wine hour with free wine every day. Very good Room. Perfect Beds.The only bad point is a bit of noise at night when you try to sleep because we're really close to the focus of excitement.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
Distributi0nManager, Manager at Kimpton Muse Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 November 2010

Dear YuriRemedio,

Thanks so much for taking the time to post your great review! I, too love the location of The Muse- it's perfect. I'm glad you felt the warmth of the staff members and took advantage of the wine hour. Did you know that during the winter months we put out hot coco in the afternoons and hot apple cider during the wine hour... in the lobby of ALL kimpton hotels! YUM.

See you next time!

Reviewed 15 November 2010

I usually stay at Kimpton hotels and have stayed numerous times at their other NYC properties, such as the 70 Park and more recently, the Eventi, both of which offered excellent service and great rooms. We checked in on Friday at around 1pm. The front desk attendant told us that if we came back at around 3pm, she could give us a room on a high floor (as we had asked - to avoid the noise). She also had us sign the waiver for our dog. We come back at 3pm, another attendant, by the name of Marc, greets us (if you call "yes?" a greeting) and checks us in on the 4th floor. We tell him that we were waiting for a room on a higher floor. He basically calls us liars, saying that it was impossible that we were told that since we had a dog, and could only stay on a pet floor, which doesn't go any higher than 4th floor. The manager was called in to find a solution, she tells us that she is giving us a room in the back, away from all the noise. We accept, still puzzled as to why we had to wait 2 hours to get a "better" room, when there was no such thing. To our great surprise, we check in the room, only to find out that not only is it not in the back, it's right on 46th street. We basically didn't sleep that night. The next morning, I browse the Kimpton web site to find out that they have a Premiere Balcony room available (we were booked in a Premiere without balcony). Balcony rooms start on the 12th floor and up. Went downstairs, told the staff about my sleepless night, they didn't seem to care. But, after insisting, they agreed to book me in the Premiere Balcony room, even though I had a dog. When I told them about the no pet policy on other floors, clearly, they were caught in a lie as they said that balcony rooms are on high floors and if someone with a pet books it, we have to give it to them. So much for policy. We finally checked into the new room at around 1pm the next day. It was a fabulous room, quiet, clean, etc. Exactly what you'd expect from a $500+ a night hotel.

All this to say that they could of easily made me happy on the first night by giving me a quiet room on a good floor, educating their staff on courtesy and politeness and showing a little more empathy for their guests instead of just giving cold, rude service. I'm not going back to this hotel and not recommending it to anyone.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 November 2010

After many stays in midtown with small expensive rooms and high incidental charges, I tried the Muse. It was a gem. Extremely friendly staff, and a great quiet bar - something that will draw me back for sure. Comfortable and trendy rooms. Free Internet and free mini-bar grabs for Kimpton members sealed the deal!

My one negative was that my first night was on the 5th floor overlooking 46th ave, and I spent the entire night listening to garbage trucks... then had to cancel a meeting to grab some sleep in the morning. The staff gave me a 10th floor room in the back for my next night, and it was excellent.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled on business