“Extremely pleased”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Tyler, Texas
“Extremely pleased”
Reviewed 14 March 2013

Our daughter had recommended we check out this hotel for our visit to NYC to see her. After reading reviews, we made a reservation for our visit and, since it was our first time there, hoped for the best. We were impressed from the time we walked into the lobby. We were welcomed warmly and check-in was smooth. Our room was a good size for NYC with a king bed, desk, two chairs, plenty of closet space, and a great kitchenette with refrigerator, sink, coffee maker, and microwave. Everything was clean and up to date, and the bathroom was marbled with plenty of amenities. Housekeeping was prompt and thorough, and the staff was friendly and helpful. The bed and pillows were comfortable, and we looked forward to retreating to the room at the end of the day. We would not hesitate to stay here again. We thought it was good value for what we got.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank TyTex

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (521)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Fredericksburg, VA
Reviewed 14 March 2013

Our group from Virginia normally stays at the Marriott at Time Square but this time stayed here. The staff could not have been nicer. I have trouble walking and doormen rushed to help me. Desk staff made restaurant recommendations near our theaters for preshow dining. I did not eat in their restaurant but had breakfast at the luncheonette 3 doors down. Enjoyed having the refrigerator in room, beds were comfy and our room was kept immaculate.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
Marlow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 March 2013

Hotel was friendly, clean and well equipped - we had a small kitchen in our room which was great.

Bed and pillows super comfy, aircontact worked and location is fab - 5 blocks east to Madison diner for breakfast, 5 west to Rockerfeller and 5 south to Grand Central.

Will be back.

Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
Weirton, WV
Reviewed 11 March 2013

We booked the Benjamin after reading reviews and it was really pretty average. The hotel is convenient to midtown and the amenities and rooms are nice but not great. Overall, it would have rated higher but the service staff in the National Restaurant and in the hotel were not friendly. It took us 4 tries just to get an extension cord for use in one of the conference rooms. Average at best.

Room Tip: Picking an inside room cuts down on the city traffic noise
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 10 March 2013

Stayed here for a weekend in NYC with the girlfriend. The hotel staff were very friendly and helpful (they filled up my cooler with ice on the way home to help keep a cake cold), the room was clean, comfortable and reasonably sized. My only compaint was that they messed up the timing on some room service, but not the end of the world. Highly recommended.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
New York City, New York
Reviewed 9 March 2013 via mobile

What lovely and well placed hotel and through Priceline it is a value. Rooms are small but adequate and clean. But there is a tiny scam. On the bed tables are small bottles of water. These are not a generous gesture as at most upscale hotels but a Sleazy way to sell water. NYC has wonderful water. Is bottled better and worth $7.00 a glass? I do not think so. You have to inspect the bottle closely to see these is a $7.00 charge. So beware and drink tap water, it is good for you and you can put your money to a better purpose.

• Stayed March 2013
1 Thank Estrumagu
Boulder, Colorado, United States
Reviewed 8 March 2013

I've stayed in three other mid-town Manhattan hotels in the last 6 weeks, and three outside the city, so I have a lot to compare to the Benjamin.

I needed a place for one night in the city since I extended a business trip, and I got my room from Priceline. The standout highlight of my visit was Rich, the Front Desk manager who checked me in and was able to get me in my room incredibly early, around 12:30pm. What I wouldn't realize until much later that night was that a 6th floor room above Lexington Ave is not conducive to getting a lot of sleep, even with earplugs in.

But let's go back to the amazing Rich. I literally felt like I was a long lost cousin or something. This guy was so friendly, so helpful. I grew up working in my dad's small restaurant, so I know about customer service, and what it feels like when someone actually wants to help you. When they actually enjoy taking care of a guest. Rich was like having a best friend on the inside.

First of all, what NY hotel lets you check in at lunchtime? Fuhgetaboutit. But Rich had a room and treated me exactly like I was paying full price, which at the Benjamin can easily run $500 or more. He made me feel like a regular who stayed there all the time.

After I got checked into my very comfortable double-queen room, he even called to see if everything was ok. Amazing.

Unfortunately, the rest of my experience couldn't quite match the high bar he set.

Partly this was because I'm not The Benjamin's target customer. Every other guest I ran into in the elevator looked like they owned small, private island in Nantucket. The room service I ordered (while delicious), was so much more expensive than what I'm used to paying.

Even small things like trying to get an unwrinkled ironing-board cover so I could iron my shirt were a pain. First off, is it that hard to train housekeeping to look for and replace an ironing board cover that's so wrinkled that it's impossible to iron a shirt on it? What do those things cost, $2? It took around 40 minutes to get that fixed, after a wasted visit from the hotel maintenance guy who'd been told that my iron board didn't have a base and showed up with his toolbox...

Having a long, dark hair on my room service tray was unwelcome, but not the biggest deal. It wasn't touching the food and it was more the lack of care this showed than any real concern about the food. My burger was actually delicious, but for $40, it would have been nice if the guy remembered the condiments so I could eat the fries with the burger, instead of having to wait 20 more minutes and re-heat them in the microwave afterward.

(And yes, having a big fridge and microwave in the little kitchenette were nice.)

The worst was the noise from Lexington Ave. On the 6th floor, they should have thicker windows. I was literally woken up a few times overnight, even with earplugs in.

Anyway, Rich comped me for my almost-hair-burger upon check-out, and overall I have to give him credit for salvaging the visit. But would I stay here again? Very unlikely. But then again, I imagine that on a higher floor, or if I were a budget where $500 a night hotel rooms were normal, I might be more the type of client they're after.

Room Tip: Go for a high floor away from Lexington Avenue's loud trucks and whistle-blowing hotel doormen.
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled on business