“Awesome place to stay in NYC!”
Review of The Benjamin

The Benjamin
Ranked #100 of 469 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 4 April 2013

The Benjamin knows how to do things the right way! From the friendly person who does their facebook posts to the staff I communicated with via pre-trip emails, they are all top-notch and very accommodating! Our King Suite was huge and included a microwave and full-size fridge. Will definitely stay here again. Thank you so much!

Room Tip: We were in a King Suite - highly recommended!
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends

Reviewed 4 April 2013

Location to metro/tube was very convenient we came from Newark on sky train and tube and was easy.
10 mins to time square by foot.
Hotel - Had a doorman that does not open the door foy you? Strange but fine I suppose it is NYC.
The National restaurant always seemed busy for dinner. We had some drinks and the staff were knowledgeable and friendly.
Room size was good for central NYC and the money paid. Fridge and sink were handy. Did not use microwave.
Rooms are a little dated if I am being harsh but it is part of the charm and did not detract from the stay.

Wi-fi should really be Free in this dy and age. We paid for it and it was slow a lot of the time.

Small double bed not the usual King Queen which you would expect from a 4 star hotel.

Would I stay again? Yes if the price was the same.

Concierge were very good.

Rooms very hot even when it was snowing - controlling the temp at night meant ear plugs and aircon on full.

I’m a hotel ops manager so I am picky!

Room Tip: higher the better
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Ryan G
Reviewed 1 April 2013

This past weekend we stayed at The Benjamin. We've stayed there in the past and thoroughly enjoyed our previous experience. Nothing changed this past weekend. We actually arrived in the city quite early and expected to simply drop off our bags until they could get us our room after 3:00 pm check-in. I was pleasantly surprised to have the front desk search for a room that was available and we were in before 11:00 am. It took maybe 10 minutes of waiting to get us into our room. The hotel is not new but our room was more than satisfactory. The room is big by NYC standards and includes a small galley kitchen with refrigerator, microwave, sink, cabinets and some kitchen utensils. The bathroom was more than adequate with all the accessories you'd expect. The bedroom/living space was fine with a large HDTV, desk, seating area a queen size bed. One of the features of The Benjamin is the ability to choose pillows to suit your personal preference. We did not use this service but thought it was a novel way to make your sleeping experience more like home. The location on the east side of midtown Manhattan is convenient to almost everything and getting a cab or the subway would be very easy. Since we only stayed one night it's difficult to evaluate long term stays but if the staff treats you like they did for our one night stay you'd have to be very satisfied.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 31 March 2013

We booked this hotel on priceline.com at a very good price for a weekend in February. The hotel is very conveniently located in Midtown East, a short walk from all the major midtown attractions. Overall the hotel was quite clean, but the impression we got away with that it was a bit run down. It could with some renovation of the bathroom fixtures. Service overall was friendly (we didn't have any particularly unusual requests though), but when we came to pick up our luggage in the afternoon after having checked out, the luggage person wasn't there, and we needed to get help from the porter, who wasn't too happy about that. Altogether, a good expe

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank MDP03
Reviewed 26 March 2013

The Benjamin is a beautiful hotel. Well apportioned and well decorated. The room was quite spacious for a New York City hotel room. I had a massage in my hotel room, provided by a masseuse from the in-house spa. She was very professional and gave a great massage. However, I was disappointed with the customer service from the rest of the staff. I understand problems happen; often times there's no malicious intent. But when I stay at high-priced hotels I do so because I don't mind paying a premium for the service. I can sleep anywhere. I choose nice hotels because I pay extra for the customer service. I felt like the staff just didn't want to bother addressing my concern, or even answering my phone call. The concierge hung up on me several times, and when I did manage to get through I was put on hold and told she was dealing with other guests. I was definitely made to feel like my concerns were not a priority. Which is unfortunate because the hotel is beautiful and roomy. The food in the restaurant (The National) was delicious; although the menu is extremely limited.

Overall I'd say I slept well on a comfortable bed, in a clean and spacious room. By itself, such a hotel room is worth a few extra dollars. The noise from the street was a minor distraction, and once I fell asleep the noise was of no concern. I might return and give the staff another opportunity to prove my experience was unique; but I caution other travelers that if they encounter problems they should not be surprised at the slow speed of the staff's response.

Room Tip: As with all hotels in NYC, higher floors suffer from less traffic noise.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank AL594
Reviewed 19 March 2013

We loved the room and selection of pillows to try. The hotel staff are excellant and I recomend this place for sure. Don't expect new rooms but the bed was real comfortable and clean and great location

Room Tip: Go for the 1bdrm suite if you can
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Dave O
Reviewed 18 March 2013 via mobile

We have stayed at the Benjamin several times, most recently last week. We always have a great experience. The hotel is in a good central location, and the rooms are lovely. It's not a ritz or a four seasons as far as luxury goes, but the rooms are well decorated, clean, marble baths, very comfortable beds, and the service is great.
We feel very comfortable here, and can always get a good rate on a room, which can be tough to do in NYC. The staff is helpful and friendly. The elevators are small and a bit slow but that is the most I can criticize. Try having lunch at the National in the lobby, good food!

• Stayed: March 2013