“Perfect NY experience.”

GreenLeadersSilver level
San Francisco, California
“Perfect NY experience.”
Reviewed 12 December 2013

Great room. Staff very friendly and helpful. National restaurant is a true destination right on premises. Everything was perfect and effortless. My new "go to" hotel in New York. Highly recommend to all.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo

Thank Mr. Walter B
The_Benjamin, General Manager at The Benjamin, responded to this review, 28 December 2013
Dear Mr. Walter B,

Thank you for your glowing review and the time you took to post it on Tripadvisor! Your review highlights so much of what makes The Benjamin an incredible experience in NYC. We put everything we have into each guest’s experience including genuine and attentive service, savory flavors at The National that awaken your senses and spacious and clean rooms that help you rest and renew your spirit. Your recommendation is much appreciated!

The Benjamin

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (506)
  • Polish first
Reviewed 12 December 2013

at $600/day plus..I expect better mattresses. And a better food selection if you are including breakfast in this package deal. Also when we checked in the wifi was $62 per week...we knew from last time that if we asked it would be comped. so we asked and it was given to us for free...how many people don't know that and pay the $$$...kinda sneaky I think for $600/day plus...Air conditioner either kept the room frigid or stuffy...hard to regulate...room needs a ceiling fan and open window. Restaurant 15 on a scale of 1-10 noise level for breakfast lunch and dinner.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple

3 Thank 579RichardP
The_Benjamin, General Manager at The Benjamin, responded to this review, 17 December 2013
Dear 579RichardP,

My apologies for the details that you cited which made your stay one that would elicit such feedback. At The Benjamin our goal is to have all our guests walk away with nothing but positive memories of their time with us. We would be happy to address your feedback, which we take to heart, with you directly offline if you would give us the chance. I know that Wifi can be critically important to our guests and that is why we offer specials and packages that include the cost of Wifi in your reservation. You can find a package that is right for you on our website accessible directly from our Tripadvisor page. Our beds have been singled out as some of the most comfortable there are; we will certainly look into your mattress to see if there is something wrong. I hope that we can speak with each other by phone at 212.715.2500 or email at jgaeta@thebenjamin.com. I look forward to your return.

Best Regards,
Joe Gaeta
Oakland, California
Reviewed 11 December 2013

I have stayed here three times and the quality is pretty consistent. They have an affordable, by NY standards suite. The National downstairs serves up a stellar breakfast. The gym is a little small, but there is also a spa on site !! The staff I have met have been really, really first class. The maids are better than the Waldorf and the front desk and door teams rock. Of course the location...is excellent. The one thing that bothered me and the reason I didn't give it an excellent is the noise from the street. Not sure what a hotel can do about it. But ...it's NYC and at 2am there is some guy honking a horn?

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
The_Benjamin, General Manager at The Benjamin, responded to this review, 27 December 2013
Dear Mando Z,

Your rave review is a pleasure to read and I appreciate the time you took to post it on Tripadvisor! Thank you for making The Benjamin your destination of choice in NYC. Our staff loves to read reviews from our repeat guests and we all look forward to your hosting you for a fourth visit very soon. We pride ourselves on providing individual attention and outstanding service to all of our guests. Prior to your next visit please reach out to me directly. I know that we have room and suites with configurations that will ensure you sleep tight.

Reviewed 10 December 2013

While the rooms are nice and large, the quality is poor. Dim lighting, faded furniture and look, air always too hot or too cold. Rooms are quiet and pillow menu nice. The National bar and restaurant in the hotel is awful. We had breakfast vouchers and each morning when our server realized this, we were treated rudely and service was slow. I have stayed at the nearby Warwick several times and it is much better with a wonderful bar, restaurant and friendly staff.

1 Thank Isabelle S
Dear Isabelle S,

Thank you for sharing your feedback on Tripadvisor regarding your recent stay. I am so glad that you enjoyed the comfort and spaciousness of our hotel guestrooms and our 10 choice Pillow menu developed by sleep medicine expert Rebecca Robbins. I want to genuinely apologize for the inconsistencies you experienced with the heating and cooling in your room and the service you received at The National. We hold ourselves to the highest standards and what happened does not reflect the experience we strive to provide each and every guest. I hope that you will consider visiting us again in the future. I have addressed the concerns you mentioned and I can assure you have been corrected. Please contact me directly, as I would like to personally welcome you back.

Northport, NY
Reviewed 4 December 2013

We stayed here with our little dog for a few days at Thanksgiving.

Great location. Efficient check-in. The room was very nice although the bathroom was quite small (welcome to NYC).

I think the value was good. They offered AAA discount which is always nice!

Room Tip: In general, in NYC, the higher the better. Street noise will be a factor.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Dear L C,

Thank you for your fantastic review. I am pleased that you were able to take advantage of our great rates and featured discounts by using your AAA card. Our value in Midtown is unsurpassed. We feature rooms and suites that are generously sized and supremely comfortable. The location of the hotel is right in the heart of Midtown and our genuine and attentive service will ensure your priorities are achieved during your visit and you’ll still have time to rest and renew with our Sleep program featuring a 10-choice pillow menu developed by Sleep medicine expert Rebecca Robbins.

Reviewed 3 December 2013

Our annual holiday trip to NY is a new tradition in our family. Since we live in 3 states: RI, CT, and NJ, we thought it a good idea to stay overnight. My first choice was The Benjamin, having such a positive experience there in the past. It's close to Grand Central, walking distance. Parking is available. Guest room (we had a suite) was comfortable, cozy, and within our budget.
Wish we could have stayed longer......

Dear Nancy R,

I hope you can stay longer on your next visit! When the team read your radiant review we were overjoyed that we were able to provide your family the perfect respite on your overnight stay. We want to remain your destination of choice for your annual visits to NYC. If you are traveling to NYC by car our hotel is very conveniently located just 3 blocks from the FDR Drive which connects you to I95 and every NYC bridge and tunnel. Valet parking is convenient, simply pull up to the main entrance and our attentive Doorperson will take care of the rest.

greenfield ma
Reviewed 3 December 2013

stayed nov 30 for two nites stay on a sunday gets you 50% off nice . The Benjamin is in agreat loction for getting @ everywhere 15min walk to 30 rock and time sq 10 min to shopping saks and a lot more . great rest all @ the place . Great service from ck in to ck out will be back for sure . THE holiday lites at nite are the best in nyc enjoy.

Dear tamasGreenfieldMa,

Thank you for sharing your memorable experience with us on Tripadvisor. Your recommendation is the best gift we can receive. I am so glad you and your family made the most of your visit to NYC. The Benjamin’s convenient location in the heart of Midtown on 50th Street and Lexington Avenue allows our guests to easily reach any point or attraction in NYC. With access to Grand Central just 3 blocks away and a subway station on the corner getting around NYC is effortless. Our recent promotion offering 50% of Sunday night stays was a huge hit and I hope you will visit our website to take advantage of upcoming specials as we celebrate the arrival of 2014.