“Great NY experience” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #79 of 467 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersSilver level
“Great NY experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 December 2013

We went to experience Christmas in NY for a few days and our travel agent selected The Benjamin, it was the perfect location to see the city, the hotel is very well run and was a great experience for us.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family

Thank Robert Brendan ... M
The_Benjamin, General Manager at The Benjamin, responded to this review, 28 December 2013
Dear Robert Brendan … M,

Thank you for your rave review of your recent family stay. The Benjamin is a wonderful choice to stay with family when you consider the spaciousness of our rooms and suites that all feature a comfortable sofabed, refrigerator and pantry area. We also have two very popular family friendly packages including an American Girl Place package featuring an exclusive American Girl doll-sized travel bed, pillow and blanket for your doll, and our Wink’s Kidzzz Club, a creative program that instills the importance of sleep in our youngest guests. I hope to welcome you and your family again soon.

The Benjamin

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (495)
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 December 2013

I stayed at the Benjamin at the beginning of November and was very satisfied with my room. The room itself was very spacious and the bed was large and comfortable. The bathroom looked a little bit tired and was not in keeping with the room. The hallway was unfortunately also not very nice. The carpets was old and looked very dirty.
I found the staff very friendly and helpful. I paid for the WIFI to my room but sadly the connection was very slow and extremely poor. The staff offered a refund due to the inconvenience.
I ordered a burger for room service from the restaurant and it was honestly one of the best burgers I ever had!
The hotel location is very good, walking distance to the park, Madison, 5th etc.
If I go back to New York I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Dear leendp7,

I am elated to read your great review! Our studios and suites are larger than most NYC apartments. All 209 rooms and suites feature a pantry area complete with a refrigerator and place settings with silver and glassware. I reviewed your remarks with the hotel team and I can assure you we have corrected the issues you reported. Our WiFi recently underwent an extensive upgrade and as of this month we have now completed testing the connectivity and bandwidth in all of our 209 rooms and suites to ensure the issue you experienced is completely resolved. The National’s “Ugly Burger” is one of my favorite items on the menu and is a big reason The National is featured as a New York Times’ top 50 favorite restaurants in NYC.

2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 December 2013 via mobile

We have been loyal guests at this hotel for decades. Within the last year we suspect cost saving changes have been made which have resulted in far less service and fewer amenities. The rooms are looking shabby. On check in we unloaded our own bags as there was no doorman in sight. On check out we finally brought our own bags down from the room because we waited an hour for the bellman and now have been waiting in the lobby for a car that may never be brought around. It is almost 90 minutes since we began to leave this hotel. Gone is the attentive service that made us feel very much at home. What a shame. We won't be recommending The Benjamin to our friends any longer. We understand this was an extraordinarily busy weekend but no different than this time for any other year. No excuse.

Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank Wundergal
The_Benjamin, General Manager at The Benjamin, responded to this review, 17 December 2013
Dear Wundergal,

We have to agree with you on one point for certain; there is absolutely no excuse for not receiving the superior service that you have come to know and love over the years. The Benjamin has built its reputation and loyal following, such as yourself, on our attentive, guest-centric service. I apologize that over this weekend we clearly fell short. As for our rooms, we recently completed a full guestroom refresh that brought a new design and feel to the accommodations. We will certainly look at the room you stayed in to see if there is an area that needs attention. We strive to make each stay very special; as close to perfect as possible. Given your long-standing history with the hotel, we hope to have the opportunity to make it up to you. If you are open to giving us another try, or would like to discuss this further, we would welcome the opportunity to speak with you. Please contact me at 212.715.2500 or jgaeta@thebenjamin.com. Many thanks for your feedback.

Best Regards,
Joe Gaeta
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 December 2013

Great room. Staff very friendly and helpful. National restaurant is a true destination right on premises. Everything was perfect and effortless. My new "go to" hotel in New York. Highly recommend to all.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo

Thank Mr. Walter B
Dear Mr. Walter B,

Thank you for your glowing review and the time you took to post it on Tripadvisor! Your review highlights so much of what makes The Benjamin an incredible experience in NYC. We put everything we have into each guest’s experience including genuine and attentive service, savory flavors at The National that awaken your senses and spacious and clean rooms that help you rest and renew your spirit. Your recommendation is much appreciated!

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 December 2013

at $600/day plus..I expect better mattresses. And a better food selection if you are including breakfast in this package deal. Also when we checked in the wifi was $62 per week...we knew from last time that if we asked it would be comped. so we asked and it was given to us for free...how many people don't know that and pay the $$$...kinda sneaky I think for $600/day plus...Air conditioner either kept the room frigid or stuffy...hard to regulate...room needs a ceiling fan and open window. Restaurant 15 on a scale of 1-10 noise level for breakfast lunch and dinner.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple

3 Thank 579RichardP
Dear 579RichardP,

My apologies for the details that you cited which made your stay one that would elicit such feedback. At The Benjamin our goal is to have all our guests walk away with nothing but positive memories of their time with us. We would be happy to address your feedback, which we take to heart, with you directly offline if you would give us the chance. I know that Wifi can be critically important to our guests and that is why we offer specials and packages that include the cost of Wifi in your reservation. You can find a package that is right for you on our website accessible directly from our Tripadvisor page. Our beds have been singled out as some of the most comfortable there are; we will certainly look into your mattress to see if there is something wrong. I hope that we can speak with each other by phone at 212.715.2500 or email at jgaeta@thebenjamin.com. I look forward to your return.

Best Regards,
Joe Gaeta
Oakland, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 December 2013

I have stayed here three times and the quality is pretty consistent. They have an affordable, by NY standards suite. The National downstairs serves up a stellar breakfast. The gym is a little small, but there is also a spa on site !! The staff I have met have been really, really first class. The maids are better than the Waldorf and the front desk and door teams rock. Of course the location...is excellent. The one thing that bothered me and the reason I didn't give it an excellent is the noise from the street. Not sure what a hotel can do about it. But ...it's NYC and at 2am there is some guy honking a horn?

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
The_Benjamin, General Manager at The Benjamin, responded to this review, 27 December 2013
Dear Mando Z,

Your rave review is a pleasure to read and I appreciate the time you took to post it on Tripadvisor! Thank you for making The Benjamin your destination of choice in NYC. Our staff loves to read reviews from our repeat guests and we all look forward to your hosting you for a fourth visit very soon. We pride ourselves on providing individual attention and outstanding service to all of our guests. Prior to your next visit please reach out to me directly. I know that we have room and suites with configurations that will ensure you sleep tight.

2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 December 2013

While the rooms are nice and large, the quality is poor. Dim lighting, faded furniture and look, air always too hot or too cold. Rooms are quiet and pillow menu nice. The National bar and restaurant in the hotel is awful. We had breakfast vouchers and each morning when our server realized this, we were treated rudely and service was slow. I have stayed at the nearby Warwick several times and it is much better with a wonderful bar, restaurant and friendly staff.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family

1 Thank Isabelle S
Dear Isabelle S,

Thank you for sharing your feedback on Tripadvisor regarding your recent stay. I am so glad that you enjoyed the comfort and spaciousness of our hotel guestrooms and our 10 choice Pillow menu developed by sleep medicine expert Rebecca Robbins. I want to genuinely apologize for the inconsistencies you experienced with the heating and cooling in your room and the service you received at The National. We hold ourselves to the highest standards and what happened does not reflect the experience we strive to provide each and every guest. I hope that you will consider visiting us again in the future. I have addressed the concerns you mentioned and I can assure you have been corrected. Please contact me directly, as I would like to personally welcome you back.