“Favorite Hotel in New York” 5 of 5 bubbles

The Benjamin
Ranked #75 of 467 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersSilver level
Old Greenwich, Connecticut
“Favorite Hotel in New York”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 February 2014

This hotel is always my first choice of a place to stay in New York. The location is excellent in midtown right on Lexington Avenue across from a subway stop (and a Starbucks!) The hotel has an intimate friendly ambiance, the staff is wonderful, the hotel is pet-friendly (!!), the rooms are good-sized with large bathrooms and kitchenettes (!!!) and the price is competitive, especially considering the overall quality of the amenities.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Thank Mrs. Julie M
The_Benjamin, General Manager at The Benjamin, responded to this review, 7 February 2014
Dear Mrs. Julie M,

I appreciate the time you took to share your wonderful visit with the TripAdvisor community. I am delighted you brought your pet with you! Our new pet program, GOOD DOG, was created in partnership with BarkBox, one of New York City's finest pet treat curators and they donate 10% of profits to shelters and rescues. Our location on 50th Street and Lexington Avenue is very convenient. We are only a short walk from premiere shopping along 5th Avenune or Grand Central Terminal where you can connect to most any subway line.

Assistant General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (495)
  • Polish first
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 February 2014 via mobile

Stayed here perhaps 10 times over the years. Very close to the business location I need to be at. Nice rooms, friendly staff and great for a business breakfast.
My 1st choice when it comes to staying in New York (at my price point but if there are conferences sometimes gets very expensive).

Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
The_Benjamin, General Manager at The Benjamin, responded to this review, 6 February 2014
Dear CaptainWillard,

You've brightened our day with your terrific review of stay #10 with us! I appreciate your years of loyalty. Our staff is passionate about genuine and attentive service. Our Midtown location is super convenient for business travelers with so many corporate offices within a 5-10 minute walk of the hotel. Our rooms and suites are spacious and supremely comfortable. The National Bar & Dining Rooms is the ideal restaurant in Midtown to host a business meeting. The culinary creations of Iron Chef Zakarian enjoyed in the setting of a European style cafe will delightfully inspire your conversation.

New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 February 2014

We had the most special wedding weekend. From the time we checked in to the hotel, Khady, Sara, and Anya were so very warm in welcoming us. The bell staff was extremely quick and helpful, and we had a ton of bags and boxes. Our Rehearsal Dinner was at AperiTIVO Pizza Bar, which is walking distance and a good value for Midtown (it holds about 50ppl in a private space). We booked the Terrace Suite which was perfect for approx 10 ladies hanging out and getting hair and makeup done the day of. We were fortunate to have a warmer winter night and had some great photos on the balcony with our Photographer. The night of the wedding was memorable, as they left rose petals on our bed which was such a nice touch! Everything was seamless, a brides dream when it is "GO" time! We will definitely look to spend our Anniversary in the Suite next year:)

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
The_Benjamin, General Manager at The Benjamin, responded to this review, 5 February 2014
Dear cmitz,

Your perfect review has made our day. Congratulations on your wedding! I am elated that you decided to stay in one of our spacious one bedroom Terrace suites. For only a few dollars more, our terrace suites are the perfect choice to make the most of your visit and soak in the grandeur of NYC. The extra space our suites offer allows guests to rejuvenate in the added comforts of a separate living room and enjoy plenty of closet space, a sofa with sleeper and sitting chairs and much more. Our Federico Spa and Salon is an ideal venue to perfectly prepare you for any special event. Thank you for recognizing the efforts of Sarah, Anya and Khady from our team.

Hong Kong, China
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 February 2014

I stayed at this hotel for two nights during Super Bowl period, and I never wrote any review previously, but decided to speak up after having an awful experience at this hotel. The rooms were spacious and clean, and I had no issue with that. However, the service made this hotel a second tier, and I will never come back to this hotel. On my second day at this hotel I went for shopping, and returned to the hotel with over 10 large shopping bags. There was nobody at the door to help me, so I carried them one by one to the lift area after being dropped off. When I finally managed to get on to the lift, a staff then ran to me and asked "if I am going to to remove the car outside" instead of asking if I need any help.
I was not happy, so called the front desk to complain about it, and the woman told me that she saw me carrying the bags and she was not allowed to leave the front desk area to help. Then she said she would speak to he manager about it, however, I never heard anything back from them.

The rooms were equipped with some cheap heating fans that was so noisy. I called a technician, and was told that all the rooms were like that (have no way of control systems, either full blast out or stay frozen without heater fan).

I was meant to stay at this hotel for over five nights, but after having experienced this my husband and I checked out and went to stay at elsewhere. Stay away from this hotel!!!!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jetsetter366
Dear Jetsetter366,

Thank you for posting a review on Tripadvisor. Guest feedback is essential for us to thrive and we are very passionate about listening to our guests. The disappointing experience you described does not reflect the genuine and attentive service that our team is wholeheartedly devoted to. I would like to speak with you in greater detail about your comments and personally invite you back. Our mission is to help you be at your best and remain your destination of choice in NYC. I appreciate your time to speak with me further. My phone number is 212.715.2500 and my email address is jegol@thebenjamin.com.

New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 February 2014

I stayed at The Benjamin during a recent business trip to NYC and was very pleasantly surprised. The hotel was very modern yet with a classic feel. I have nothing but good things to say about my stay!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Thank Mrs. Susan M
The_Benjamin, General Manager at The Benjamin, responded to this review, 2 February 2014
Dear Mrs. Susan M,

The Benjamin is an excellent choice for a business visit to NYC. Thank you for your radiant review! We feature a private business networking lounge with computer stations and over 2,200 square feet of versatile space for meetings and events. All of our meetings can be complimented by food & beverage selections from The National that you can fully customize as well as the latest technology in audio visual equipment. After a rewarding day in the Boardroom you can return to a supremely comfortable and spacious suite with terrace or balcony.

Buenos Aires, Argentina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 January 2014

This was our fourth visit to New York, and our fourth stay at The Benjamin. We choose it for our visits, since it widely meets our needs. The location and the prize are very suitable. Thanks to all the staff for making us feel at home!!

• Stayed January 2014
Dear rbranc,

Thank you for your continued loyalty over the years! You've gifted us a fabulous review of your fourth visit to NYC and our hotel. Our value in midtown is unsurpassed. Our 209 rooms and suites are generously sized, thoughtfully appointed and all feature a kitchenette with microwave, refrigerator and tableware. Our terrace and balcony suites are available for only a few dollars more and literally open a door for to look upon the grandeur of NYC before or after your own adventure in the city. Don't forget to visit our concierge team who are all well equipped to help you make the most of your NYC itinerary.

Huntington, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 January 2014

My wife and I go into the city more than a handful of times a year, and we use to try a different hotel every time until we stayed at the Benjamin Hotel. From when you are greeted by the valet host, to when you check in, and get your room the experience is second to none. It's also the only hotel that we have ever been to where you can choose your own pillows to your liking.. Everybody that works at the hotel is as polite, and helpful as I have ever experienced. The food at the hotel, and the bar scene is also a plus, and it is centrally located to everything. The manager Merril Perrier does a great job of making you feel at home... If you would like to be at a hotel in Midtown , I would seriously consider the Benjamin, you will not be disappointed...

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Dear Anthony P,

Your review is a celebration of our most cherished goal: being your destination of choice in NYC! I am thrilled that you enjoyed our Rest & Renew Program. The program features a complimentary 10 choice pillow menu with sleep tips and sleep amenities informed by renowned sleep expert Rebecca Robbins. Our staff will delight you with genuine and attentive service during your visit. Thank you for mentioning Merril our Front Office Manager by name. When guests recognize our staff by name in a perfect 5 circle review it is a wonderful celebration of their efforts.