“Hotel great...restaurant staff HORRIBLE”
Review of The Benjamin

The Benjamin
Ranked #87 of 467 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersSilver level
Boca Raton, Florida
“Hotel great...restaurant staff HORRIBLE”
Reviewed 13 June 2014

The hotel was nice, clean and spacious. Just don't try to feed dinner to your child in the National (hotel restaurant) before 5:30. At. 5:15 we were given rude responses from both the hostess and the manager about trying to order from the kids menu.

Stayed June 2014, travelled on business

Thank Mrs. Michelle S

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (506)
  • Polish first
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 13 June 2014

So happy my sister and I chose the Benjamin for this very special trip!! What a welcoming experience and warm and beautiful setting. Omar who checked us in and Taju our bellman both showered my Mom with compliments of youth and were very playful and fun. Everyone who helped us get settled in and served us dinner on our beautiful terrace suite with surprise champagne and chocolate covered strawberries were a part of our magical first night in NYC. Each day added to our very comfortable stay with friendly morning greetings and offerings to help us get where we were going and to welcome us home after a full day, whether they new it was a special occasion or not. The concierge was quite resourceful to guide us when needed. A very special call out also goes to Marco in Federico Hair & Spa who went out of his way and offered to stay late on a holiday weekend to do my hair. I broke my wrist just 4 days before the trip and he made sure I faced each day looking good and ready for our girls trip photo ops!! Thank you General Manager Steve Sasso, for ensuring we were well cared for, for the special commemorative Benjamin bear, chocolates and thoughtful thank you note upon our departure, and for leading a team that clearly enjoys their jobs and makes The Benjamin feel like home after a day and night of hustle and bustle in the big city. The bear went home with my Mom and is a happy, daily reminder of a trip of a lifetime with her girls. wishing continued success to the Benjamin and team!

Room Tip: The terrace rooms are so nice. night time glass of wine or tea before bed among the surrounding cit...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 12 June 2014

Stayed 6 nights in May/June. Staff is attentive and was exceptionally helpful to us as this was our first time in NYC. Really appreciated the kitchenette, although bathroom was a bit small.
Would recommend the suite, rather than the normal size room. Couple we were with had a suite with terrace and it was fantastic. Hallways could use some work, carpets were not the cleanest, but overall a good boutique experience. Really loved the smaller hotel with more personalized service -- older refurbished character building, not a grand, cold "resort" feel.

Room Tip: Go for the suite with terrace if you can afford it
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Winnipeg, Canada
Reviewed 10 June 2014

This hotel was picked for me by hotwire. There was a chance of 4 hotels in the star range that could be a possibility. This hotel was the one we 'didn't' want. As it turns out it was perfect. Location is great, staff was great and the kitchenette was a real money saver. We really liked the hotel and room after all and would stay there again. We had no issues what so ever.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple

San Francisco, California
Reviewed 10 June 2014

I really enjoyed my stay at The Benjamin. Staff was very nice and went out of there way to assist me. The room was exceptionally clean. I actually wished we had book rest of
our stay here. Would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple

1 Thank Huma J
Mount Dora, Florida
Reviewed 10 June 2014

I normally stay at Marriott properties but decided to adventure out and stay here. The hotel is nice, small but quaint lobby. I had requested an early check in at 100pm. I arrived at 200pm and they could not honor it. I understood when for lunch. Came back at 400, room was still not ready. I was not very happy with this but I did not complain.
Around 430 I got the room. The room was very spacious with a kitchenette and a balcony. Very nice. I really enjoyed having the balcony. I did pay for this type of room , it was not an upgrade.
The staff was good, not overly attentive but ok to my satisfaction.
I wished they had given me a couple of drinks at the bar since room was not ready.
Otherwise I would def try the hotel again.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
New York
Reviewed 10 June 2014

We stayed at the Benjamin because we were hosting a dinner in the Corner Room of the National. The staff at the Benjamin were exceptional as were the staff at the National. This was truly one of my best experiences in NYC

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family