“Excellent stay, definitely recommended”
Review of The Benjamin

The Benjamin
Ranked #101 of 471 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 3 July 2014

The Benjamin offers something pretty hard to find anywhere in midtown Manhattan - tons of space, a really helpful staff, and prices that are not in the stratosphere. Overall, this is a definite recommendation, but there were a few minor points that need improvement. First, the positives.

I can't say enough about the staff. They are absolutely fantastic. The first room we were shown seemed a bit dark (as it was on a lower floor). Right away, a gentleman from downstairs came up and actually showed us a few other rooms to let us have our choice. This was all done with a smile, and we were sorted quickly, and able to settle in. Doorman/Bellman service was also outstanding. I didn't even have the chance to unpack or pack the car, as it was pretty much already done! Housekeeping (14th floor) was also wonderful. We were traveling with our 8 month old, which leads to a) a bit more of a mess, and b) odd times to be in the room. The housekeeper was so kind to us, and went out of her way to work around our schedule.

Now for a few minor nits. Not deal-breakers at all, but just something for you, and The Benjamin, to consider. Like a lot of old buildings in NYC, the air conditioning, while fully functioning, was very loud. When it came on at night, it sounded like a jet engine. We got used to it, but just a heads-up. I'm aware ripping out the air conditioning is probably not likely any time soon, but just something to note. Finally, the TVs need to be upgraded. The actual screen was ok (though a bit old) - but the cable/satellite is very old-fashioned. There is no TV guide (well, there is one that lists channels but not shows) and response time is very slow. This should be a reasonably easy fix. For a hotel of this caliber and price, I would expect slightly better entertainment options.

The above, though, are minor points. Overall, I would definitely stay in the Benjamin again, especially with the ability to have the living room, as well as a small kitchen. Apartment living in Manhattan, all while in a top-notch hotel. Thumbs up!

Room Tip: 1 BR Suite, corner, high floor. Lots of light in the bedroom, and a real pied a terre feel...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (2,806)

Reviewed 2 July 2014

This is actually my first trip advisor review and I'm only doing it because the Benjamin was just such an amazing hotel that I feel I owe it to the staff who make it so to leave a review of their efforts. Both the staff and the physical building/location were absolutely superb. I've been staying at five star hotels during most of my stays in NYC and to be frank I don't think any rate anywhere near the quality of this beautiful little place.

I'd just had surgery in London and due to a bad reaction to the anesthetic I needed to delay my stay by a day (didn't mean to make that rhyme). I called the Benjamin and David answered. He was very helpful in cancelling my reservation for a day despite it being made through Expedia! He also helped me upgrade to a full suite. Again, I simply can't overstate how helpful David was to me (Benjamin management please give him a raise he's worth it). Throughout the stay David assisted me in a myriad of matters and was always polite, professional, but yet personable at the same time.

The maid, Bari, was fantastic too. Always cheerful, always cleaned everything perfectly. Another huge recommendation.

Finally, Karinne at the front desk was very helpful and amazing on a myriad of matters!

The rooms that my father and I had were each large, spacious, and clean. The bedding was soft (I think it's 400 thread Egyptian cotton, if not it felt like it).

The only "issues" we had were that it can get quite noisy outside but I can hardly ask the hotel to shut down NYC traffic. The NTL restaurant opens a bit too late for breakfast at 7:30 AM (common we're in NYC, the city that never sleeps and works day and night!), but these are very small issues compared to the one million pluses to this little gem of a hotel.

Room Tip: You can't go wrong with anything you pick!!!
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 1 July 2014

I'm a bit tardy with this review but since we are heading back soon, the hotel has been on my mind. We visited a few years ago. My husband was there on business and my daughter and I tagged along. His conference had recommended a different hotel but we decided to try the Benjamin based on reviews and the space we needed (a one bedroom suite). Our stay was wonderful. The concierge (although I forget her name) was so helpful with restaurant assistance and booking a sitter. The room was perfect. It was an inner room without a view but it was so quiet which was perfect for our daughter. A white noise machine was also provided. The door man was very helpful seeing as I was always lugging a stroller around - he helped haul it in the trunk of many cabs. The restaurant was pretty good and one waiter made sure our daughter was treated like royalty. The only issue I can recall was the elevator. At check out time it would take forever for an elevator and the ones that stopped at our floor were too packed. I do not see anyone complaining about this in recent reviews so maybe that issue is fixed. We recently booked a king suite with terrace and we are bringing both kids. They are older and really looking forward to their trip to the big city! When looking at hotels again (along with vacation rentals) I kept coming back to the Benjamin and we agreed it was worth another visit.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 30 June 2014

For $550/night stay, you'll have to pay extra for internet service.
No soap in the bathroom; it's in a locked container in the shower.
Toilet paper 4/5 used remains from the last guest.
Don't recommend.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
2  Thank Michael C
Reviewed 30 June 2014

We celebrated my wife's birthday this past weekend at The Benjamin. We checked in after 1am Friday morning and were greeted by "Jose" at the desk who was very happy to see us. All of the staff went above and beyond our expectations. We had a beautiful corner room with a terrace view of the East river on one side and a huge terrace with tables and chairs and an outstanding view of midtown on the other side of the living room. This room was a suite and large one by any ones standards. I had ordered champagne that afternoon (while still in Tennessee) through the concierge and asked that it be in the room for our arrival--it was! We drank it on the terrace--a perfect way to celebrate a birthday in NYC.
I've stayed at this hotel several times and each time i've had a different size room. This is what makes it interesting to stay here. We were on the 20th floor this time and did not hear any traffic noise inside the room except when we opened the window because we wanted to hear the sounds of the city. The bed was very comfortable as were the pillows.
The ladies at the concierge were very helpful with dinner recommendations and reservations before our arrrival. The front door staff were always there to greet us, grab us a cab or give directions.
We really like the location because its so close to the theatre district, so many great restaurants, shopping and Central Park. There is a street fair on Lexington Avenue on Sundays, great food and lots of bargans.

Room Tip: Terrace rooms are wonderful.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank robfo
Reviewed 30 June 2014 via mobile

My stay at the benjamin was very nice, Checking in was easy the front desk was professional and attentive. But gina who really helped me, She when out of her way to help me find my way around my very busy schedule. To fit in a little site seeing some shopping and a show into my weekend thank you gina great work.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 29 June 2014

For New York the size if the room here was excellent we stayed in a suite with kids & the service was great & kids loved the pillow menu. The staff was very friendly and helpful to get a cab for you even going to the opposite street to flag a can for us.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family