“Felt like home”

GreenLeadersSilver level
New York
“Felt like home”
Reviewed 10 July 2014

The hotel location was perfect, the room is nice, and clean and safe. The staff was very professional and friendly. Especially the consiege was very very helpful gave all best guides when necessary. The reception services perfect.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Thank Mrs. Ferda O

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (528)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed 9 July 2014

I'm a bit tardy in writing this review, so all apologies go out to the staff at The Benjamin:

A giant thank you goes out to the staff of The Benjamin -- Especially Jeff Egol. My wife and I spent three wonderful nights at The Benjamin over Belmont Stakes weekend. Even though our good friends that own California Chrome didn't win the Belmont, we won, nevertheless, with a new favorite hotel in NYC. If I nit pick, I'll agree with rossvesq, the air conditioner is loud, some areas of the hotel could be a bit cleaner (especially the downstairs bathroom from the lobby - they share this with the restaurant, so it gets a lot of traffic), and charging for Internet service seems so 2004. I found the staff always goes out of their way to ensure every need is met. Our room was fantastic -- very, very comfortable and clean. And from others I spoke with at the bar at National, they also were pleased with their room(s). I really like the location of Mid Town, so that worked for me as well. I only stay in NYC for vacation, but I could definitely imagine it would be a great place to stay if worked call for a meeting in Mid Town. We are going to Saratoga for 11 days, and if we decide to get out for a night, we will definitely, definitely be staying at The Benjamin.

Thanks again to all the staff and one more shout out to Jeff E.

John Y.
San Francisco

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 8 July 2014

I've been meaning to stay at the Benjamin for a long time now, and I finally booked it for a long weekend trip to NYC. Many people rave about the Benjamin but frankly I'm not that enamored with it. The problem wasn't one big thing, it was lots of little nits that when added up made for a disappointing experience. Usually I will let a few nits go, and not comment on them, but after a while I got tired of counting them.

The "nits" - bath gel dispenser ran out on day 1, told staff and it took them 3 day to refill it. AC systems (both - we had a suite) have only one speed (high) and are terribly LOUD, I mean incredibly loud like a jumbo jet screaming over your head loud, forcing us to either sweat while sleeping or not sleep, I asked engineering if there was any way to adjust them and they never responded. Window shade in living room was broken and it took them 3 days to repair after we noted same for them. Bathroom was a little tired and needed refreshing. No free wifi in rooms and the price to use it was ridiculous, come on Benjamin, this should be free to guests. Elevators are slow, cramped and dark and will pass your floor at random. Lobby is much smaller than I thought it would be. Asked for quiet room and best they had was on the 7th floor facing Lexington Ave and if you know NYC there aint no way you will have peace and quiet only 7 floors up from Lex. So, you see what I mean, nothing terrible just not up to the standard I expected.

The good things - location is great for business meetings in mid-town. The rate we paid was pretty reasonable. The National bar/grill is downstairs (I like the place). The room we had (upgraded to a suite) was spacious and light. Staff was friendly. Bellman was very good at flagging down taxis when needed. Bed and pillows were comfy. Room was very clean.

So, in the end the nits won out and I had to downgrade it to merely average. And no, I probably won't be back.

Room Tip: Definitely demand something on the uppermost floors if you want quiet. BUT, the trade off is horrib...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Toronto
Reviewed 7 July 2014

Stayed at the Benjamin for three nights in June/July. My first time in New York and really enjoyed the location, comfortable bed and clean, modern room. I especially loved the Sleep Menu as I got to have a memory foam pillow just like at home!
The hotel is so close to everything including a subway station (51st) and Grand Central. it is very quiet and a nice place to relax after a day of sightseeing. I am very picky about hotels and I have no complaints except for the wifi and high cost of the snacks and being charged for local calls. Would recommend and stay here again. Also would like to thank the stylist in the salon for the styling product he supplied me with - I had forgotten all of mine at home!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank jetsetToronto
New York
Reviewed 7 July 2014

I chose this hotel because it was half a star better than the Waldorf and who could be better than the Waldorf?! It was - the staff was amazing, our room was gorgeous - I am excited I have a favorite hotel in New York!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Burlington, Canada
Reviewed 5 July 2014

We have spent three nights at this hotel. We have no complains however we were impressed either. The front desk staff ,all the door men, bell boy they were all wonderful except the concierge. When we asked to book couple of shows for us for some unknown reason she was not helpful at all, did not even make a phone to the theatre for us. So we had to use our own cell phones to make reservations. We had to get the number from the daily newspaper etc…
The rooms are okay but I would have liked better linens..
Not a bad location, not a bad price for Newyork. Would I ever stay again??…probably NOT...

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank echappe
Reviewed 3 July 2014 via mobile

This was my first trip to NYC and I travelled with my daughter for her 11 th birthday. I was very nervous when I booked. It was actually through Hotwire. Read great reviews thankfully before arriving. I will say they are all true! We arrived after a six hour train ride and another hour trying to get to the hotel in rush hour! Omar was quick to help us. Once he found out it was my daughters birthday and that we were staying a week we were quickly upgraded to a suite! It was beautiful! Spacious like our own NYC apartment! He sent up cookies and milk and a card wishing her a happy birthday. Totally thoughtful and above anything I have ever experienced while travelling. Best welcoming I've experienced . The hotel is a great location in the middle of everything! Great staff ! Great location ! Thanks again Omar, you made my daughter feel like a celebrity on her birthday! I definitely recommend this hotel to everyone and can't wait to come back!

Stayed July 2014