“Wonderful, simply wonderful”

The Benjamin
Ranked #104 of 473 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 22 August 2014

My wife and I spent 4 nights there this August and cannot wait to get back. Let me start with how wonderful everyone was; Sarah, Anya and Khady were all so kind and polite, I felt like a regular customer -- but it was our first time. I asked for restaurant recommendations and they really spoke with me to learn our tastes and not only made KILLER suggestions, but had the reservations made for us at excellent times. They must have some pull because these places gave us window seats with a view at some very busy times.

On to the hotel itself. Location--great. Its right next to The Waldorf-Astoria, 6 minute walk to St Patricks, 8 minutes walk to Rockefeller Center. So those getting a tour bus will have stops right next door. Also very easy walk to Empire State Building, Grand Central, etc

Rooms- never been to NYC before so can't vouch for size comparison to local hotels but the room was pretty big, never once felt cramped with the wife and all the suitcase laid out at once. The kitchenette had a huge fridge, a microwave and the minibar had real size bottles of hooch and great snacks that were cheaper than anything I've seen in a minibar. Very clean rooms and bathrooms (white is the predominate color so if it ain't clean it's gonna show). Very comfortable bed. AC was so good I actually turned it off the first morning, then adjusted the temp a little higher, and never had an uncomfortable temp again (and I like it coooold--poor wife had to steal the comforter).

The in house restaurant was only partially sampled by me for a breakfast (wonderful porkbelly eggs Benedict ) and a quick snack before a show of beer and brussels sprouts and meatballs. But they did those items quite well.

I'm a chatty outgoing guy, and everyone there made me feel like a friend, never felt rushed or ignored. NOBODY ever held their hand out expecting tips, and I don't give them freely-- but if you can stay a day with them and don't feel like tipping them then maybe you should reevaluate yourself.

In short my first trip to NYC might have spoiled me, I was worried about rude New Yorkers and uptight staff, noise, and overpriced everything. But The Benjamin staff made me instantly comfortable, and really made an impressive showing of a well oiled-machine. I will definitely be a regular when we make return trips

Thank you Anya, Khady, and Sarah for a wonderful time.

Cons, oh yeah I don't like paying for wifi. But I'm on a trip to NYC with my wife and NO KIDS. So internet access was not needed.

Room Tip: Tell the staff what you'd like when you make the reservation cause they hit every point I asked...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Tlanc405
Write a ReviewReviews (2,832)

Reviewed 20 August 2014 via mobile

My husband and I spent three nights at The Benjamin. The staff were very accommodating, our room was nice and updated and the little alcove with microwave, coffee maker and mini refrigerator was perfect for our needs.
The location was SO close to major subway and bus lines and easy walking distance to major attractions and tons of restaurants. It is an old hotel so the AC is a bit loud but all else was perfect. Free wifi in lobby and nice restaurant (The National) that we did not go to on this visit. Will definitely stay here again.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 August 2014

This was my fourth visit to this hotel, last time was nine years ago. I has two small children with me. The hotel service was fantastic and the rooms were large clean and felt new.

This time, i felt a little disappointed. The service is still great, but the rooms are looking tired. They are clean but the air-con is horrendously noisy, tv wasn't working correctly and shower fittings were hanging off the walls.

The price is good and the location works for me. Sadly, i have a soft spot for the Benjamin but will be looking elsewhere when i return to NYC next year

Room Tip: Avoid rooms on Lexington if you value a good nights sleep.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank SURBWOLF
Reviewed 18 August 2014

I stayed 4 nights in a balcony suite while traveling on business. The size of the room, the balcony and the kitchenette made this a perfect little pied a terre and at great value. The bed & bedding were very comfortable. While I felt the carpet and wallpaper made the decor look a little tired, the general feeling was cosy and comfortable. I would happily stay again.
I did not require much by way of service from the staff, however, those I came in contact with were genuinely friendly, helpful and efficient. Mohammed, the doorman, went out of his way to make one feel welcome and provide good service - so nice to be greeted with a big smile when alone in the city and far from home.

Room Tip: The balcony suite is great value - very large and set up like your own one-bedroom apartment.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 17 August 2014

Overall we were happy with the value for money paid. Bed was comfortable, large room and great location.

Main disadvantage is noise coming from the street... We asked for a quite room and go a low floor next to the elevator :(

• Stayed: August 2014
Reviewed 16 August 2014

Recommended to the Benjamin by family members from Canada who had stayed a couple of times previously. We had a 23rd floor King Suite at the rear of the hotel which, whilst we could still hear the frequent sirens on E 50th, was quiet within the hotel and external noise was minimal. The suite was spacious (a dream for NYC) and we really appreciated the pillow options. We had a comfortable sitting room and a kitchenette as well as the king bedroom. The only criticism from a guests perspective of this is that, if the Benjamin is going to provide a kitchenette, please don't stuff the work surfaces and refrigerator full of over-priced tiny products. Guess what? Guests want that space, which they have paid for, for storage of stuff they've bought cheaper elsewhere...(and that does not include from the miserable guys in the newsagents next door!)

Housekeeping service was great. The ladies were flexible with times which suited us and attentive to detail with regards cleaning. They were great and are unsung heroes. Concierge was good for providing postal service and local info.

We've noticed that there is criticism of elevator service in the Benjamin. During our stay (4 nights) the service elevator was out of use. This meant that staff had to use one of the two guest elevators. It's clearly an issue that the Benjamin needs to address.

The location of the Benjamin in upper midtown is perfect for walking around Manhattan and with very easy access to the subway at Lexington/53rd for Brooklyn/World Trade etc at the south of Manhattan and to JFK should you so choose.

When we left, Mohammed was extremely helpful in acquiring a limo (for the same cost-ish) of a NYC yellow cab to get us to JFK. William the driver was great and we never feared for our lives (unlike on our journey from Newark Airport to Manhattan). Many thanks to both!

We would definitely return and would recommend.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Discerning1001
Reviewed 16 August 2014

The Benjamin is very nice, boutique hotel with helpfull staff. Everyone has a "yes" attitude. It was our first time in NYC and Anya Orlanska, Concierge chef was very helpful with planning our free time. She was also very patient and helpful when our flight to NYC was cancelled and we had to change our plans. Everything was organized perfectly by Anya including tickets, baby sitter for our kids, etc. Anya is very proffesional and thanks to her we felt very comfortable, just like at home.
The room was very nice, clean and spacious.
It is very good hotel for demanding guests.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family