“American girl doll weekend with granddaughter”
Review of The Benjamin

The Benjamin
Ranked #100 of 468 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 29 August 2014

The location was great!! We usually stay at the Waldorf . So this is a new hotel for us. The Benjamin's website for their dolls weekend is so amazing we switched our usual venue ,but so disappointing. None of what I ordered for the girls happens without me having to call and request what I had already paid for every step of the way. The doorman and bellman were super staff members.. Had it just been my husband and me it would have been good. Just not anywhere the service as expected from web for american girl dolls .

There are newer reviews for The Benjamin

Reviewed 28 August 2014

We were traveling into the city to have a special weekend with our son. We were originally booked at the Westin but after investigating and speaking with reservations at the Benjamin, we learned about the Winks Kids club where the kids receive a robe($35)special pillow and milk and cookies one night. We were also made aware of the pillow menu. Since a comfortable pillow is a struggle for my husband and we wanted our son to remember this weekend, we cancelled our booking at the Westin and booked a King Suite with a living room at the Benjamin.
We arrived on Friday evening and were greated by Elias, ambassador of bellhop, who was amazing. Extremely helpful as we were moving to our room for the weekend. We were settling in for the night and called the front desk to ask for a different pillow since down pillows are too soft and were told that they are out pillows except for the "magnetic" pillow which is a contoured foam. I also mentioned that we had enrolled our son in the Winks program and could they also bring up the pillow and such? We were told that they were all out of pillows but would send up the robe. The robe arrived and it was a size 2, my wears a size 10(he's 11) I called to let them know and they said we were all out robes. Again, I called the front desk to let them know that the whole reason I cancelled our booking at the Westin was for the pillow options and the winks kids program, of which nothing is avalable. We were very disappointed. She apologized and said that she would have management call us the next day and would arrange for milk and cookies the following night for our son. Neither the call or our cookies came and quite frankly, I was tired of calling and being disappointed. I wanted to make the best of it, despite the let downs.
I can honestly say the hotel is nice, the rooms - ok, but if it wasn't for Elias who greeted us each day, and for how accomodating he was with our check out needs and helped guide us to an amazing breakfast at The National, we would not consider returning. Along with Karinne, the front desk service agent, who helped us with our checkout and Jonathan the other bellhop, they made a positive experience out of many strikes against the hotel itself. So a very big thank you to Elias, Karinne, and Jonathan for your attention, care and commitment to service,which covered the gaps, allowing the weekend to feel special for our son.

Room Tip: Higher floors less noisy if rooms face Lexington
3  Thank Dana S
Reviewed 27 August 2014

We stayed for six nights in a two bed two bath suite on the 16th floor, which is actually a terrace one king bed suite with a connecting room. The kitchenette was perfect for morning coffee, which was amply stocked with coffee and creamer, and the fridge and microwave were so nice to have. We bought some bagels, cream cheese, yogurt and fruit to have for breakfasts, which allowed all four of us to eat and have our coffee when we wanted as we were preparing for the day. The rooms were immaculate and quickly cleaned when we left for outings. The bathrooms are marble with an electric lighted mirror, as well as a lighted shave/makeup mirror.The staff were very congenial and helpful. I will say the two elevators can take a bit of a wait sometimes, but hey, if you're in NYC, you're going to be waiting on something! The location was absolutely perfect for walking to Rockefeller Ctr, Times Sq (we saw a matinee of Book of Mormon), Carnegie Deli, 5th Ave., Madison Ave. and a subway stop is just around the corner. The National restaurant attached to the hotel was fantastic! But that's another review…. ;-) We would definitely stay here again!

2  Thank OKgirl M
Reviewed 27 August 2014

I stayed here with my daughter and husband for a long weekend. This was our 2nd stay at the Benjamin and certainly not our last. As others have said, you can't beat the location. So close to great stores, restaurants, sights, and subway. Comfortable and appealing rooms. Warm and friendly staff. What I didn't expect was the responsiveness of the staff, especially Karinne. About an hour after we'd checked out and were headed home, I realized I'd left a jacket and charger in my room. I called the front desk in a panic. Karinne assured me she would find the items and mail them to me. About 15 minutes later (in the middle of a busy Sunday checkout period), Karinne called me back to say she'd already found them and would be happy to mail them. What a relief!! This experience is further confirmation that you will be well cared for at the Benjamin.

1  Thank Finickytraveler2014
Reviewed 25 August 2014 via mobile

Whether I'm staying at The Benjamin or not, Mohammed the doorman is the best. He is knowledgeable about the area and always eager to help, something not always evident at other establishments. Mohammed is a true professional who represents The Benjamin with class.

Stayed: August 2014
2  Thank Centennial400
Reviewed 25 August 2014

Just returned from a 5 day stay at this hotel. Staff were friendly, professional and helpful. Room was spacious and bright with a comfortable bed. We were on the 21st floor so it was very quiet. Lift was a bit of a nightmare as being on one of the higher floors there was always a wait for the lift, but this wasn't a massive deal. The hotel is in a fab location, close to the sights and shops so you can walk to most things. New York itself was amazing and we will definitely look to return at some point.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 August 2014

We travelled with our daugther, son in law and 2 toddlers, enjoyed the one bedroom suites. The rooms were comfortable and nice sized. We did request one of the rooms be on the "quieter side" of the hotel, which was helpful---street noises can be significantly disturbing to light sleepers.
This was the first NYC trip for our little grand sons, which made it special for all of us. The hotel was excellently located convenient to the attractions we were in town for and the staff was professional, friendly and most helpful. Everything was within walking distance or short taxi ride.

Room Tip: I recommend higher floors and inside rooms if street noises bother your sleep. Our room was a corner...