“NIce room-- Otherwise feels like a Hampton Inn”
Review of The Benjamin

The Benjamin
Ranked #85 of 467 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersSilver level
USA
“NIce room-- Otherwise feels like a Hampton Inn”
Reviewed 11 June 2009

Service is not great at all, in fact on verge of rude... Lobby is pretty but small, yet beautiful. Rooms are very well put together. I would say this is a great hotel for the 50-75+ set considering the design. It just looks like the kind of hotel that middle aged and older adults would enjoy.

Room was comfortable, yet felt a bit pretentious or maybe geriatric in a way.

This hotel felt like a hampton inn or a limited service hotel b/c there didn't seem to be much beyond the room that would make this a 4 star hotel. Let alone a 5 star (as it is on priceline!).

Location is superb and the hotel is pretty comfy, especially for the older traveling set. Room service food was EXCELLENT, by the way. i would say this is a major benefit to the hotel!

• Stayed April 2009, travelled on business
2 Thank GlendaleCA
The_Benjamin, General Manager at The Benjamin, responded to this review, 29 June 2009
Dear Mawwit,

My name is Andrew and I am the General Manager of The Benjamin Hotel in New York. After reading your review, I would first like to thank you for complimenting our room service department and I was pleased to read that your experience with them was excellent. I was troubled to read that the service level was not great and on the verge of rude. That is completely unacceptable and well below our standards and expectations. I would appreciate the opportunity to speak with you so I may get to the bottom of this issue and hopefully renew your faith in our property. If you would be so kind to contact me at the hotel, I would greatly appreciate it.

Kindest regards,
Andrew Labetti

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (506)
  • Polish first
London
Reviewed 9 June 2009

The staff at The Benjamin were unhelpful, even snooty in some cases, the location is good, but The Kimberly which is almost next door is much better.

• Stayed October 2008, travelled with family
1 Thank Mishcon
The_Benjamin, General Manager at The Benjamin, responded to this review, 30 June 2009
Dear Mishcon,

My name is Andrew Labetti, I am the General Manager here at the Benjamin. I must say that the review you posted of our lack of hospitality is very unsettling, and not the norm. I have discussed this issue with my Front Desk Manager and have taken steps to ensure that your experience is not repeated for future guests.

I would like the opportunity to speak with you personally to discuss your experience, and have the chance to restore your faith in the Benjamin. You can reach me at Alabetti@thebenjamin.com.

Kind Regards,

Andrew Labetti
Los Angeles
Reviewed 27 May 2009

I stayed here last about 10 years ago and remembered the Benjamin as a stylish hotel in a great location (50th and Lex.). Since then I have stayed elsewhere in NYC, but I got a great price on the room ($215 per night) and looked forward to coming back. Well they haven't moved it from the great location convenient to Grand Central Station, Park Ave. and mid-town. The staff is still very friendly, maybe even more so.

The room I am in is fine. Average size for a NYC hotel, but a big cumbersome desk with a 1990's vintage fax machine on it take up too much room. Th in-room fridge take up the lower half of the closet so I cannot hang up my suite. Even worse, the fridge is hard-wired at 56 degrees (F) so it keeps drinks only a few degrees below the ambient temperature. Why bother?

The Benjamin is still good value, but could use an in-room update. You can do worse for this price in NYC!

• Stayed May 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank Mblaca
Milton Keynes
Reviewed 25 May 2009

We arrived late at night at the hotel and after a quick check-in we were taken to our room on the 23rd floor. We were staying in an one bedroom suite. The room was small for a suite but well divided and it had everything you needed making it very cosy. During all my stay I slept very well and was not disturbed by any street noise. The bed was wonderful and there were plenty of pillows to choose from the Pillow Menu.
The reception area is quite small and there isn't a lot of sitting space there but the staff was always friendly and willing to help.
The mini bar and water by the bed are a very expensive. The bottle of water by the bed was priced at a whopping $7 plus tax...Breakfast also very expensive.
If you leave the hotel and turn left you will find a very nice place where they serve breakfast all day long. Prices are reasonable and the food is good. Continue to walk down the street and turn left left (going around the block) and you will find a big market place where you can get drinks and the nice pretzels...
The hotel is located close to the subway station, it is well worth to get a Metro Card which can be bought at any machine inside the stations.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
Los Angeles
Reviewed 17 May 2009

I was staying for 1 week. Upon arrival front desk offered me an upgrade for $4. That set the stage for a very "cheap" experience. Rooms are very small with too much bulky furniture and useless kitchens. Food was pretty poor quality, yet very expensive. Elevators do not always work. Small bathrooms with small tubs, should have replaced with a bigger shower. At best 3 starts.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank AleLosAngeles
London
Reviewed 7 May 2009

I booked the hotel through Priceline for my buddy and I, not realising that they didn't have twin rooms. So I was initially concerned about having to pay extra for a larger room to fit in a pull out bed. However on arrival to the hotel, we were given an upgrade to a 1 bedroom suite with a sofa bed in the lounge. The room was excellent... extremely spacious and clean. The pillow menu was a welcome novelty. If I had to be picky, I would recommend a room away from the elevator as it was noisy on occasion. Also, the street noise in New York is something else, even on the 12th floor. However, I had ear plugs so I had a good nights sleep.

All in all, staff were welcoming and pleasant, hotel was in a great location and all in all it was an excellent stay.

One little thing though, I think the hotel should reduce the prices of their minibar items ($8 for a bottle of water is crazy). That way, people would be more inclined to buy more.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled with friends
Detroit, MI
Reviewed 22 April 2009

Booked a room through Priceline for $110/night--a great deal! Did not feel like we got a "bad" room because of Priceline, like some other reviewers. On the 15th floor, back of the hotel. It *is* a small room, typical of NYC. Nice queen size bed, work table, armoire with flat screen TV, closet with safe, full length mirror. Also a small fridge, microwave and coffee maker. Bathroom small, but with BIG mirror and marble tiled shower. Conveniently located near Grand Central (5-10 minute walk) and same block as E,V, 4, 5,6 trains. Walking distance to Times Square, theatre district.

Did not have any problems with the elevators--never waited more than a minut or two. We found the room to be VERY quiet, with only the usual traffic noises (mostly sirens). We ordered two pillows and were very happy with them. Each night we returned to a clean room, turn down service and classical music playing on the Bose radio.

Be advised that the products in the mini-bar are EXPENSIVE. We used on bottled water which cost $7.50 (Listed as $7, but tax is added...). Also, wireless is $14 for a 24/hr period.

Staff was pleasant. We really only interacted with them at check in and when asking for a late checkout (they can accomodate 2pm, no later...). Doorman stored and retrieved or luggage quickly and had a cab waiting for us (in the middle of the rain.) We did not use room service, the spa, or the bar/lounge/restaurant.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple