“I love the Benjamin !”

GreenLeadersSilver level
indianapolis
“I love the Benjamin !”
Reviewed 25 June 2009

I have been satying at the Benjamin for many years. From the minute I get out of the cab to the minute I leave I am treated like royalty. The hotel is clean it is appointed beautifully and always being updated. From the GM Andrew Labetti down everyone is helpful and curtious. Horray for the Benjamin.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (506)
  • Polish first
Los Angeles
Reviewed 25 June 2009

Based on recommendations from some work colleagues, I decided to forgo the "get points" and stay some where more interesting. I travel for business about 100 nights a year and am tired of the cookie cutter hotel. It seems there is quite a range of opinions out there - but my stay was wonderful. The staff were ALL wonderful - the rooms lovely and personally I LOVE the pillow menu! How many nights I have had a miserable sleep because the hotel people thought big and fluffy looked pretty rather then what a traveler may want for a choice!! This is such a smart move on the Benjamin's part!

It is conveniently located so I could get around and be to all my meetings - worked well into the night with sumptious room service - and get my coffee and paper in the morning as I was dashing out to meet with clients. I will echo my colleagues and spread the word about this great hotel and it's welcoming aura. Coming from the west coast - I am always prepared for the typical "New York" attitude - the warmth at this hotel is exceptional.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled on business
New Jersey
Reviewed 25 June 2009

For my fiance's birthday I planned a trip to see Cirque Du Soleil on Randall's Island. Upon planning the night I looked into hotels and chose to stay at the Benjamin! What a wonderful night we had! The concierge was so helpful in google mapping us directions to Randall's Island, and we got there without any problems, no directions, no wrong turns, it was such a pleasant drive! Upon arrival at the hotel the General Manager, Andy, was in the lobby. He introduced himself, such a professional yet down to earth man. I asked him for some suggestions for a lounge later that night to celebrate my fiance's birthday and he suggested going to Nikki Beach, which was within walking distance, approximately 5 doors down from the Benjamin. ( we ended up there with friends & had fun dancing all night long). Our room was gorgeous and had such a unique style. We returned from Cirque & found a complimentary birthday dessert, from Andy, for my fiances birthday! My fiance felt so special & I knew then & there that the attentive nature of the hotel was spectacular. Plus the dessert was fantastic!! We ordered pillows from the pillow bar. Such an awesome idea! I think we ordered 4 or 5 pillows for fun! It was like sleeping on marshmallows! At the end of our stay we wanted to walk around NYC, shop & sight see. The Benjamin was more than willing to keep my car in the garage and hold onto our luggage! Overall i HIGHLY suggest staying here. We had a wonderful stay, Thanks to Andy & his professional and endearing staff!

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!

Dee & Rob

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
Los Angeles
Reviewed 24 June 2009

We traveled to NY for a family vacation and stayed at the Benjamin. The room was beautiful and very comfortable. As soon as we entered the front door of the hotel we received friendly greetings from several staff members from the door man to the concierge to the front desk staff. It felt incredibly warm and welcoming.
The beds were wonderful and we each enjoyed picking out our own selection from the pillow menu. ( Such a fun and different idea) The hotel is located in a very convenient part of town, nearby the subway for easy exploration of the city. Each night before dinner we had a drink in the hotel at the Emery Bar. The staff was so fun and friendly and the wine was delicious. The concierge also made great recommendations each night for dinner and we couldn't have been more please. Upon our departure, the concierge was happy to print our boarding passes and we were on our way. I just can't say enough about the great staff and the wonderful stay that we had at the Benjamin. We will definitely be back!

• Stayed May 2009, travelled with family
Gold Canyon, AZ
Reviewed 24 June 2009

The staff was friendly and courteous, they couldn't have been more polite. We loved the lovely sitting area upstairs from the lobby. Best of all was the wonderful nights sleep we had every evening while being right in the heart of Manhattan....

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
Somerville, MA
Reviewed 23 June 2009

I recently had a 3-night stay at The Benjamin hotel and I would definitely go back on my next trip to New York. I should state up front that I got a very good discount through a travel site sale which swayed me to try this hotel. First, it is well situated in mid-town Manhattan right around the corner from a public transit station and there is a diner next door that does a heck of a breakfast business. But my main reason for wanting to return is the outstanding service that I experienced. Beginning with the very courteous receptionist who greeted me with a big smile to the room attendants who also smiled and bade me a good day to the friendly doormen and concierge. On one occasion, I rode in the elevator with a hotel staff person and he asked how I was enjoying my stay. I replied that I was enjoying it very much and he smiled and said "That's great! We love to hear our guests say that!" I also appreciated the fact that the hotel staff often anticipated my needs and offered assistance before I even asked. The attitude of the hotel personnel left quite an impression on me. My room was comfortable and had plenty of closet and drawer space. I slept very well in the comfortable bed and the hotel offers a "pillow menu" with about a dozen types of pillows that you can request to suit your particular sleep needs. The hotel features a nice fitness center that I took advantage of twice. So if top notch service and a good night's sleep are part of your agenda, give the Benjamin a try.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled solo
Chicago
Reviewed 19 June 2009

I've stayed at the Benjamin on numerous occasions, but over the last year it has slipped. What was once a well above average hotel seems to be slipping into the average category. On my recent stay I reserved a Deluxe studio which turned out to be a small room with no easy chair with a heating/air conditioning unit right next to the head of the bed. No way could I sleep at night with it running. In the morning my requested paper had not been delivered. While a small deal, its just part of the "slippage". I was smart to take the Beyond Breakfast deal which provided a full breakfast for two for only about $10-$15 more tax and gratuity included. It was a very good deal given the prices in the restaurant where for two it would have been $60. The problem was that service in the restaurant was poor (almost surly) and despite the restaurant being almost empty they seated a party of four so close to us that they almost sat in our laps. It was ridiculous.

I've always liked the Benjamin but its time to move on and find another hotel that is what the Benjamin once was.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank TimeTraveler123
The_Benjamin, General manager at The Benjamin, responded to this review, 25 June 2009
Dear Time Traveler123,

My name is Andrew and I am the General Manager of The Benjamin Hotel. After reading your recent review, i felt compelled to respond and apologize for the poor experience you had at our property. I have addressed the issue with our Front Office team and our Food an Beverage department. Any experience that falls below extraordinary is not acceptable and well below our standards. I would welcome the opportunity to speak with you personally and renew your faith in our porperty as I am sure you next experience and all others that follow will exceed your expectations. Please feel free to contact me directly at the hotel.

Gratefully,