“Awful experience!!!”

Ranked #303 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Ithaca, New York, United States
“Awful experience!!!”
Reviewed 7 August 2012

My husband and I were fooled by the pix posted on their website. Rooms were the size of a closet, not to mention the tiny bathroom. My husband and I were getting ready to see the sights, and once my Husband took a shower, the water kept rising and was clogged. We called to the front desk, had to wait 45 minutes for them to send someone up to fix the tub. It was nasty!! The staff was very rude, and would NEVER EVER stay there again!! Next time we will def. stay elsewhere!!!! Even the hallways are small and had a hard time sleeping on the hard bed, with the 1 flat pillow!!

Room Tip: Do not go here, point blank!!!!
2 Thank Sally B

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (117)
Simpsonville, South Carolina
Reviewed 5 August 2012

We recently visited NYC for 5 days and stayed at the Belnord Hotel on the upper west side. The location cannot be beat as it is close to two metro lines (The 1 and the A&B.) It is also close to Central Park and Riverview Park. The streets that it is near are lined with trees and brownstones. There are many eating places nearby - I can recommend several. The staff was helpful and polite at all times. I asked for another pillow and within minutes it came.

The rooms are small as stated by other reviewers, but also very very clean. The walls are rather thin so you can hear doors opening and closing down the hall. They do have a coffee machine that cost 50 cents for a cup of coffee and that was all I needed. I am good with one cup but serious coffee drinkers will probably want to go to Dunkin Donuts as my husband did.

The bottom line is this hotel is in a wonderful location, the staff is helpful and polite and the room is clean. Do you go to NYC to sit in your room? If you do - this is not the place for you. If you go to have a great time and need a place that is safe clean and quiet then the Belnord is for you.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank oboegal76
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 3 August 2012

Why can't there be more hotels like this in New York City...a budget hotel that is also wonderfully clean and fresh looking, even if the rooms are tiny...I am at the hotel this week and had never stayed here before so was a little worried given the great rate, but it's a real gem as long as you're not claustrophobic..
As many others have said, all that most people need in new york is a clean place to sleep, since when we're in town we are out all day and sometimes late at night..
This hotel is a lovely, charming old building on a pleasant tree-lined street, just a block to the Subway that goes downtown quickly...I loved the quiet and calm of the neighbourhood compared to midtown...
This hotel appears to have been recently renovated, complete with a nice restoration on the brick on the outside of the building...I also liked that it's a small, quiet hotel as opposed to one of those giant places where the lobby is always swarming with hundreds of people coming and going...this is a small hotel, about five storeys, and you rarely see more than 1 or 2 people in the lobby at a time..
My room, fine for me since I was alone, was a double bed room, where as others have said, there isnt room for much more than the bed, and the small bathroom, but there are new hardwood floors, fresh wallpaper, flat-screen TV on the wall, and above all, excellent air conditioning...which is the main thing in NY in the summer.
My room looked out onto a classic NY maze of fire escapes on a narrow alley, but I was actually glad of this since I didnt have to worry about street traffic noise...I slept wonderfully peacefully..
I was on my own and only had a small carry on, but two people with big suitcases might find it more challenging..when you want to unpack something there arent a lot of places to open a suitcase other than on the bed, but it worked...But I have also travelled in Britain and europe and I have seen rooms there that aren't much bigger than this, so as long as you know to expect that, it's OK
Best of all, I got a rate of $135 through expedia...I don't think it's possible to find a room in NY for any cheaper than that for this quality and which also has its own bathroom..There are some European-style places that have communal washrooms in the halls where you might get a lower price than that, or real dumps..but for this quality I'd love to know of any that match this at that price...
Upper west side is also a nice, quiet, low-key neighbourhood that's fun to explore and I love how quiet it is ...a friend is staying right in Times Square and hates the noise she hears from the hotel every night...and she's paying more than I was at the Belnord...
The staff could use a little training on friendliness...the night desk guy barely looked up when I entered the lobby coming home late tonight, but I can live with that for this price...I would definitely stay here again if I could get a similar rate...Dont know if this was a special deal that I got or not...it was what came up when I searched for a room on expedia..
Thanks for the great stay, Belnord!

• Stayed August 2012, travelled solo
Lakewood, Ohio
Reviewed 30 July 2012

Went to New York on 7/12/2012 Was a very small room I am talking small i bumped my shoulder on the TV on the wall trying to get around the bed. But you could not have asked for a cleaner room and hotel. Pillow were flat Since we only slept there it met our needs. If you are a large person or have a lot of luggage don't stay there.

San Juan, Puerto Rico
Reviewed 30 July 2012

I stayed 4 nights during July 2012. This hotel is probably the cleanest hotel I have ever stayed at. It is super super clean. The room was very small as many have pointed out, but my husband and I did not mind, since we are small and thin, and we only used the hotel to sleep. I would not recommend this hotel for large people, unless you are a solo traveler in which case you will have the room for yourself. Other highlights for this hotel are the proximity to subway station and to great restaurants. I would definitely stay in this hotel again if price is right, I paid approx 145 per night, inclusive of taxes and fees. Anything over that is unwarranted. Also, there is a coffee machine right behind the front desk. Coffee is .50 cents.

2 Thank blissfultrip
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 30 July 2012

Primary concern staying in NYC was that the hotel should be clean and bug free - this one was. It was spotlessly clean and nicely air-conditioned. Staff were quick to respond to any problems and the hotel is only one block from the red 1 line and 2 avenues over from the blue and orange line. We found it a handy base for seeing New York.

Downsides were that the room was TINY. When we looked at the fire escape plan beside the lift it did seem like we literally got the smallest room on the floor - there was barely enough space to walk around the bed, none if you decided to put your luggage down, so it did require extreme tidyness or you'd be tripping over yourself. That said, it was fully formed in that it had a double bed, 2 bedside lockers, En Suite, TV and a small wardrobe in it.

Overall a good experience that I would recommend. Think it cost us about €140 a night on average. One thing I will say is that there should have been a guest information packet in the room. A bit odd that there wasn't!

1 Thank Deenie88
Reviewed 30 July 2012

This former welfare hotel has been beautifully remodelled and was exactly where we needed to stay. However our tiny twin room was right next to the elevator, which is thoughtlessly equipped with both an inside and outside bell when floors are reached.Quite noisy. As well, there was no closet or even a wall hook- we ended up laying our clothes across a desk. The staff refused to move us to the twin room next door, which was further from the elevator and did have a closet.

Wifi was almost always impossible to access, and one was not permitted to dial an outside line on the room telephones. Quite frustrating in all, as pretty and new as the decor is.

• Stayed July 2012