“Most enjoyable boutique hotel I've visited in Manhattan”
Review of 414 Hotel

414 Hotel
Ranked #2 of 469 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 22 July 2013

Ideally located between Hell's Kitchen and Times Square. Friendly and helpful staff. Quiet street. Free wifi and basic breakfast. Basically a converted townhouse on a residential street. Air condition worked well which was vital for the day I stayed. Decent sized room but no desk to work on. TV remote broken but I didn't really need it so didn't mention to staff until check out. Be aware that there is no elevator with rooms on 2nd and 3rd floor and stairway is narrow. I would stay here again when I need to be in this part of the city.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business

Reviewed 16 July 2013

My girlfriend and I were there for a week in July.

At first, we were not so happy about the Hotel, but we realized that the employee at the front desk was not really good. A bit too laid back.

As the days passed, we found that the other employees were all very nice people.

The room was ok for NYC. we went to see friends at another hotel and it was more or less the same thing, ie small room in the 200-250 $ range. We wouldn't have paid more for the Hotel. Our room was bigger though.

On the plus side : the site. There are plenty of restaurants in Hell's Kitchen and you are at walking distance of a lot of places like Central Park, Times Square, 5th Avenue, etc.

The breakfast was sober. Fruits would be appreciated and a bit more varieties. The coffee was great.

Although it was not a problem for us, there are no elevator in the Hotel.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank CLedMtl
Reviewed 17 June 2013

Nice hotel with light breakfast to start your day. Close to subways and close enough to walk to Times Square and Rockefeller Center. Very helpful staff. Kinky Boots theater 1 block from hotel.

Safe in room for valuables you don't want to carry with you.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank OzandLilly
Reviewed 16 June 2013

I was very pleased with my stay in this hotel. The staff were extremely friendly and helpful. The hotel was quiet, which is hard to find in Manhattan, and the prices were reasonable by Manhattan standards. The bed was very comfortable, and the complimentary breakfast was nice.

It is conveniently located a short walk away from Times Square, where my business was for the trip. It's surrounded by delicious restaurants ranging from fine dining to great-tasting, reasonably-priced meals.

The internet was free and reasonably fast, although it was an insecure connection.

My one minor quibble was that there was no desk in my room, which made it difficult to work on my laptop or eat in my room. There was, however, a cozy courtyard that guests could use.

I would happily stay in this hotel again on a future visit to NYC.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Sandra G
Reviewed 10 June 2013

We stayed at 414 Hotel for 5 nights on our last visit. It was convenient to the Broadway theaters (our main focus this trip), the Daily Show and Colbert Report studios, and to the subway. The hotel was clean, the beds were comfortable, the linen and towels very nice. They have breakfast food out until 10, consisting of coffee, cereal, some pastries (mainly croissants), bagels (not the NYC quality bagels, but fresh, I think), bread for toast, juice. It was good to have some food without having to go out for it.

The street-side rooms are a bit noisy, even through closed windows. No lift, but we knew that when we booked it. All in all, I'd probably return.

Room Tip: Courtyard rooms might be quieter.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank AnitaMW
Reviewed 27 May 2013

Times Square, Central Park, 5th Avenue, 42nd Street, Grand Central station; they’re all within walking distance of Hotel 414. A short walk to take a taxi or subway to the 9/11 Memorial or up to Harlem and with wonderful friendly and very helpful staff with clean and quiet surroundings this hotel was perfect for our needs.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Peneric
Reviewed 19 May 2013

My husband and I stayed at this hotel for 4 nights during May and had a great time! Our room was a decent size and was very clean. We really like the continental style breakfast each morning and the free wifi was excellent. The courtyard was great for having breakfast when the weather was good. This hotel has a friendly relaxed atmosphere and the staff were very helpful. The location of this hotel is excellent, we had just finished a cruise on the Norwegian Breakaway and were able to walk from the port to the hotel in about 10 minutes with our suitcases. The location is also near times square & restaurant row. This hotel will also keep your luggage if you arrive early or have a late flight. Overall we really enjoyed our stay here and would stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple