“Perfect place for solo travellers”
Review of 414 Hotel

414 Hotel
Ranked #2 of 466 Hotels in New York City
Darwin, Northern Territory, Australia
“Perfect place for solo travellers”
Reviewed 6 November 2013

I stayed here for my first trip to NYC. Travelling solo, it was a safe area just 2.5 blocks from Times Square. It is in the restaurant area, so even walking at midnight I felt safe. There is a front building and a back building. I stayed in the back and it was really quiet. There are no elevators, so I carried my bag up three short flights of stairs - which is really no big deal as they'll help if you need it.
Breakfast is a simple offering, but if you're like me you want to try the local foods or grab a Starbucks, so I often took an apple to start my day as I walked to my destinations.
When you check out they'll hold your luggage if you want to do last minute sight seeing before leaving to the airport. I used Super Shuttle to an from the airports which dropped me directly to the hotel and picked me up - that was also a great and cheap option.
Staff are friendly, althopugh I didn't have much to do with them and I chose not to get my room cleaned everyday so that I could keep everything out. But the rooms are generously sized from what I expected after reading reviews on the small rooms in NYC hotels. Seemed comparable to Australian hotel sized rooms. I definitely would stay here again as it was the best price I found at the time and a great location.

Room Tip: If you want absdolute quiet, ask for the back building.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Wendy M

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (269)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
Karumba, Australia
Reviewed 28 October 2013

Rooms were small but comfy and large enough to store our luggage and still be able to move around. They were spotlessly clean and the bed was heavenly soft. We were in room 102 which was a little noisy as you could hear everyone come in and out but as my husband had a leg injury and couldn't get upstairs it sufficed. The proximity to everything was incredible. It was a 10 minute walk to Times Square and the same to the water. Some of the reception did make it feel like it was a inconvenience to give us guidance but on the whole we thought it was a great hotel at a terrific price. The breakfast was great and having tea and coffee in the afternoon was a treat.

• Stayed October 2013
2 Thank KylieDarren
Sugar Land
Reviewed 23 October 2013

A friend suggested this hotel because it was "off the beaten path" and less expensive than name brands in New York City-This place was PERFECT- their staff ROCKED- suggesting how to go where & when etc- Since we were traveling with 4 other couples, their staff suggested instead of getting 3 taxis everywhere we wanted to go to get a limo- sure enough we could all go together, and not lose a cab in traffic, and we'd all arrive at the same time etc- And less than cabs! Their continental breakfast was very nice, and the courtyard in the back was a nice reprieve- as well as the front porch to watch the happenings of the neighborhood! You could walk to little neighborhood bars and grocery stores, the rooms were comfortable, and nice!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Mark E
Christchurch, New Zealand
Reviewed 17 October 2013

We chose this hotel having trawled through many reviews for a number of hotels. We really wanted to stay in something other than a hotel and this just seemed to tick all the boxes!

We arrived at 8am having travelled all the way from NZ!! I had already paid for the previous night's stay even though we were still en route as this was the only way to secure the rooms being available from the moment we arrived! Having travelled upright for almost 30 hours we were very grateful for the immediate opportunity to lay down!

Both rooms were located on the first floor. The children's room overlooked the street, they were aware of the street noise throughout the night but it didn't seem to keep them awake. Our room was literally at the top of the first flight of stairs. At times it was noisy, but again it wash't too disruptive to our sleep. The rooms were small and basic (especially for the amount of luggage we had) but clean and functional. Breakfast was simple. We didn't have anything more than coffee, although the children did have cereal, juice and toast each morning. We enjoyed exploring all the other eating options which were all only a few minutes walk from the hotel.

But truly, the best thing about 414 Hotel is it's location! Restaurants, Broadway, Times Square etc.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Samantha J
Hamilton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 October 2013

We found this hotel to be perfectly located, close to Times Square but in an area full of both restaurants and great bars. The hotel is smaller than most in NYC and I thought had a more European feel. We had a King Suite just off the courtyard and we were impressed by the size of the room, far bigger than others we stayed in NYC and we thought it was good value for the price we paid. Overall the hotel probably is quite basic but it was comfortable and we have no complaints about our room.
We found the staff very helpful and were very accomodating when we made a mess of our reservation and they managed to squeeze us in for an extra night.
Breakfast looked simple but we didn't try it as there are plenty of good choices only a short walk away at reasonable prices.
If value and location are important to you, I would recommend this place highly. Don't expect too much glitz and glamour though...

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ClovaTheWestie
Newcastle
Reviewed 3 October 2013

414 hotel rooms are small an basic but very clean.we had flew in from Miami an when we arrived we were tired an needed to refresh but our room was not ready an also staff changed over so next member of staff had no idea if we were leaving or waiting to be checked in.Breakfast was included but we never ate here as basic.apart from this 414 hotel is so close to everything at time square we loved it ,just a few mins walk from everything ,yes i would recommend this Hotel if not looking anything other than a clean room for a few days that is handy to everything.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank NewcastleMaggie_moon
Culver City, California, United States
Reviewed 10 September 2013 via mobile

We were on 3rd floor in back room overlooked courtyard room small but able to accommodate roll away bed bed comfy room clean breakfast in am more of a snack would stay here again if prices remain reasonable

• Stayed September 2013