“Perfect quiet hotel in the city”
Review of 414 Hotel

414 Hotel
Ranked #1 of 473 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 25 November 2013

I stayed 3 nights at the 414 Hotel, from Nov 10-13. I was in NYC to take a very important test, 8- hour long torture, so I was looking for a comfortable bed, quiet room, preferably smaller hotel to make for a more personalized stay and easy check-in and check-out. And that's exactly what I found at the 414 Hotel. First of all, I would like to express my commendations to all the staff of the hotel. They took into account my request for a quite room, were very considerate to ask me if I would prefer music in stead of TV when they saw me studying at the lobby, and even wished me good luck on my exam and asked about it when I came back! My room (205) was in mint conditions, there was a stuffed animal of The Muppets on my bed - sweet touch. The bed was very comfortable and I had a good night sleep. The bathroom was clean, and even large for NYC standards. The lobby is cozy, inviting, and has a beautiful fireplace behind a large table where I was able to study. Breakfast starts at 7, and when I was talking to the the front desk they offered to have something for me earlier than that if I needed to leave early on the day of my exam. Overall, this was a great hotel for my needs, I am so happy I found it and it surpassed my expectations. I would recommended it to anyone who is looking for a cozy, quiet, beautiful oasis in midtown Manhattan.

Room Tip: There is a field for special requests when you book online through the hotels' webpage. Room 20...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Catalina S
Write a ReviewReviews (1,466)

Reviewed 22 November 2013

414 hotel is a very nice place to stay in New York. It's like you are in a friend's house. I stayed at the hotel in November with my daughter and we had a great surprise.
The bedroom and the bathroom were a very good size, clean and comfortable.
This hotel is located in a nice and quiet neighborhood besides being only three blocks of Broadway. There are good restaurants and a subway station in a short walk.
The hotel also offers breakfast included in the roomprice and surprise! there is a little kitchen opened from 7am until 8/9pm where you can have tea or coffee for free every time you want!
The front desk team is also nice and very helpful, mainly Jackie and Mary. They give you good tips and are always smiling and ready to help.
There is only one aspect that one have to take in account: the hotel does not have elevator. So if you have problems to go up stairs, ask them to stay in the 1st floor or in the courtyard.
If you are expecting a hotel with big crystal chandeliers, huge luxurious lobby, this is not your place. But if you want a nice place with helpful, friendly and welcome people, this is your place in NY.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Umnome
Reviewed 22 November 2013

I travel to NYC on business four to five times a year for four to six days each stay. I always add in time for theater and fun and usually try to stay in the midtown vicinity (no farther south 34th or north than 60th with 10th to 5th Avenues as the outer boundary.) When I started seeing reviews of 414 I decided to give it a try and will never stay anywhere else again unless the hotel is booked. The bedroom and bathroom were both surprisingly roomy for an NYC boutique hotel, very clean and very comfortable. Every staff member I encountered was super friendly.

The location is just enough off the business to make you feel like you are residential but close enough to great restaurants and theaters to not be off-putting. The decor is bright and pleasant. The courtyard is adorable and the lobby, though small, is inviting. I certainly drank my share of the delicious coffee and enjoyed some breakfast nibbles as well.

I felt so at home and safe here. I wish I had found this little gem sooner. For comparison, I have most recently stayed at: Hampton Inn North Times Square, New Yorker, Milford and the Edison. I have not really had a bad NYC hotel experience, it is just that 414 so exceeded my expectations and became more of a welcome place to return to than a hurry and get out hotel. I can not wait to be back.

Room Tip: 2nd floor overlooking courtyard was bright, quiet and had a great view.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank beachfan101
Reviewed 14 November 2013

We really loved staying at the Hotel 414. I had attempted to find a place for our Nov. stay way back in June. After about an hour (or 2!) of being very frustrated, I finally found the Hotel 414, I think on a B&B website. The great location, competitive price (Let's face it, everything in NYC is very high $.), & the amenities (Complimentary breakfast & internet were included.) were all better than anything I came across. Perhaps because the NYC Marathon had taken place that day, I got the last of the 22 rooms. The hotel went beyond meeting our expectations. Our room was very nicely decorated & furnished & included everything anyone would need. The fireplace in the dining area & the patio were an unexpected added touch. The only caution to which I would like to call attention is that there is no elevator & we were on the 4th floor. Actually we like to exercise (No, we were not there for the Marathon!) so this was a benefit to us, but it might not be to everyone. I think this hotel is a gem & would never stay anywhere else when in NYC.

Room Tip: As I mentioned in the review, if anyone has a problem climbing several flights of steep stairs, they...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 November 2013

I have stayed in fancier, more expensive, etc. hotels, but this visit was the most enjoyable ever! The 414 is reasonably priced (for Manhattan), our room was not just clean, but SPOTLESS, fresh fluffy towels and linen each day, breakfast each morning (which consisted of FRESH... ordered in each morning... croissants, pastries, cereal, muffins, juices, coffee, and tea). First hotel we have ever stayed in where we actually ate breakfast AT the hotel (due to the freshness and quality of the pastries!!) The kitchen was open each day until 7 PM with coffee or tea available and a microwave. I loved being able to come in from the cold, grab a cup of coffee and take it to our room. The hotel is only 2.5 blocks from Time Square so you can rest in your room a while before heading back out into the city. The subway is within walking distance, too, and NYC people are the best! The staff at the 414 is unbelievably helpful. They not only advised of attractions, etc. but got out a map and drew out subway routes and walking routes to direct us.

This hotel is located in Hell's Kitchen. Eateries everywhere... ALL kinds.

I worried about the noise and being able to sleep (and not being able to take my own pillow on a plane!) but I had TWO wonderful pillows (so did my husband) and about 11PM total quiet! We were in the front building by the street, 4th floor, and it was totally quiet at night. (The 414 is on a side street that appeared mostly residential). We both slept very well every night. The sheets are of a higher quality and thread count (and not scratchy) and we felt like we were in our own bed at home. (I have been known to take my own sheets... but on a plane with only carry on luggage, I skipped that this trip and I am so glad I did!) We had a cold day (room was was comfortable) and several warm days where we used the air conditioner... very cool and quiet. The carpet looked new (very clean).

The bathroom was large in our room (403) and the water was hot. I say this because I read another review before I left that said it was not. The first night I agreed with the reviewer and remarked to my husband that I wished the water was hotter... he showed me how to set the lever (two separate levers.. one for water pressure, a smaller one for temperature) and voila!... All the hot water I wanted!! I think perhaps that reviewer did not discover that smaller lever... The water IS hot. The tub was large, shampoo, conditioner and lotion provided and even a shower cap which I appreciated (a lot of hotels now skip that!) A hair dryer was in the room, also. (I read another review that said there were no hair dryers but we had one IN our room). In the closet we found extra blankets (though with our fluffy comforter we didn't need any!), an ironing board and iron.

There are two buildings... a front and back building with a charming courtyard in between. It was too chilly to use the courtyard while we were there but they had a lovely fire going each morning and tables to eat in the lobby... cozy and intimate. I have heard good about both buildings, and also about upstairs or downstairs. We were on the top floor (only 4 floors) but the staff took our luggage up for us the first day while we were out enjoying the city. They will store your luggage as soon as you arrive (labeling it and stowing it in a back room, which seemed VERY safe). They will also store it for you on the day of check out until you need to pick it up to head for the airport. VERY helpful. We were able to enjoy a whole extra day in the city and return late that night to pick up our luggage and head for the airport. They told us they would also carry our luggage back down... to let them know when we needed them but we carried it back down ourselves. (It is 4 flights, no elevator because of the older "brownstone" type building, but not bad at all). I am 58 and my husband is 62 and we managed without any difficulty. The steps are narrow and carpeted so be sure to hold the guardrail!

They have nice red mugs with the 414 logo on the front for coffee and tea all day that they sell for 8.00 if you are interested in a memento of your stay. I fell in love with this hotel and would love to stay again, so I brought that cup home with me and I am enjoying drinking my morning coffee in it each day. I HIGHLY recommend this hotel. We left a large tip for the maid which we have NEVR done, or felt led to do, if that tells you anything.... :) Thank you 414 for a wonderful, comfortable stay!

Room Tip: Loved the front building... no experience with the back building.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank VDR928
Reviewed 6 November 2013

I stayed here for my first trip to NYC. Travelling solo, it was a safe area just 2.5 blocks from Times Square. It is in the restaurant area, so even walking at midnight I felt safe. There is a front building and a back building. I stayed in the back and it was really quiet. There are no elevators, so I carried my bag up three short flights of stairs - which is really no big deal as they'll help if you need it.
Breakfast is a simple offering, but if you're like me you want to try the local foods or grab a Starbucks, so I often took an apple to start my day as I walked to my destinations.
When you check out they'll hold your luggage if you want to do last minute sight seeing before leaving to the airport. I used Super Shuttle to an from the airports which dropped me directly to the hotel and picked me up - that was also a great and cheap option.
Staff are friendly, althopugh I didn't have much to do with them and I chose not to get my room cleaned everyday so that I could keep everything out. But the rooms are generously sized from what I expected after reading reviews on the small rooms in NYC hotels. Seemed comparable to Australian hotel sized rooms. I definitely would stay here again as it was the best price I found at the time and a great location.

Room Tip: If you want absdolute quiet, ask for the back building.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Wendy M
Reviewed 28 October 2013

Rooms were small but comfy and large enough to store our luggage and still be able to move around. They were spotlessly clean and the bed was heavenly soft. We were in room 102 which was a little noisy as you could hear everyone come in and out but as my husband had a leg injury and couldn't get upstairs it sufficed. The proximity to everything was incredible. It was a 10 minute walk to Times Square and the same to the water. Some of the reception did make it feel like it was a inconvenience to give us guidance but on the whole we thought it was a great hotel at a terrific price. The breakfast was great and having tea and coffee in the afternoon was a treat.

• Stayed: October 2013