“Warm and inviting”

Ranked #1 of 466 Hotels in New York City
Melbourne, Australia
“Warm and inviting”
Reviewed 13 December 2013 via mobile

I came to New York with my daughter and even though it was freezing the whole week we were there it was always lovely to 'come home' to Hotel 414. The open fire and Christmas decorations made it feel like home. My daughter doesn't eat breakfast so I really enjoyed going down to breakfast in my 'sloppy' clothes having a leisurely breakfast whilst reading the newspaper. Breakfast included chocolate croissants and bagels. I really loved the spacious bathroom- a luxury in New York. Staff were very friendly and if you are travelling alone it would be a great place to stay as you would feel like you are at home.

Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Jen D
414Hotel, Manager at 414 Hotel, responded to this review, 23 January 2014
Hearing this means so much to me, Jen, as we always want you to feel at home when you're here. Thank you for bringing your daughter and staying with us, and I'm glad you were both so comfortable. It's also lovely to know that you had the opportunity to enjoy a leisurely breakfast every morning -- that's what we call luxury!

All the best,
Susan Yates, Sales Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (275)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
Hartford, Connecticut
Reviewed 8 December 2013

So this was a mixed bag for us. I usually do a lot of research on Trip Advisor before I confirm any reservations & the reviews were pretty good for this place. Our experience was just ok. The location is great. Walking distance to time square & great places to eat & even a cool shopping area about 1 block away. We stayed on the 3rd floor away from the street. The room was clean but shabby. It looks worn & not up to date, drab. There is no view unless you count a brick wall a few feet away a view. We kept the shades down which added to the dreariness of the room. There was a young guy working the front desk most of the time & he was very friendly & helpful. I questioned the price when I registered. I hadn't remembered it was about $300.00/nt with tax. A woman told me its what I agreed to. She was very much in my face which I really didn't feel was necessary. Again, not what was said as much as how it was said. "Breakfast" is boxes of cereal & apples. There are great places to have breakfast in walking distance. That's what we did. I got up to use the bathroom in the middle of the night & when I put the light on a cockroach ran from the bathroom into the bed area. We go to NYC frequently & I've spent the same amount & had much better hotel rooms. Once was enough for us.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
10 Thank AdventureGirl007
414Hotel, Manager at 414 Hotel, responded to this review, 12 March 2014
I took over management of the 414 Hotel at the end of November and just realized that your posting never received a reply. I am truly sorry that it's been so long and even more sorry that your experience was not a more pleasant one. Since I started we have been busy upgrading our rooms with new paint, carpet and furniture (although we are still a work in progress). We have upgraded the breakfast and have added wine and cheese in the evenings. We are working hard to make sure every guest feels a warm, homey feeling from the moment they arrive until the moment they leave. As you can see from more recent reviews, our guests are really enjoying the new level of service we provide. I am sorry that you did not experience this. It sounds like a long shot that you would consider staying with us again, but if you would give us another chance we'd be happy to show you our improvements. Please be in touch with me directly (212-399-0006) if you would like to talk about a second stay.

Susan Yates, General Manager
Louisville
Reviewed 30 November 2013

This little hotel was perfect for my daughter and I. Located close to the theater district and Times Square! Affordable, very clean and comfortable with a friendly and helpful staff! And they have a car service to transport you to and from the airport.

Room Tip: If stairs are a problem, be sure to ask for a room on the first floor. And the rooms facing the cour...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Jylene
414Hotel, Manager at 414 Hotel, responded to this review, 23 January 2014
We're happy that you found us, Jylene, and that we were such a perfect choice for you and your daughter! We hope we can welcome you back again very soon.

All the best,
Susan Yates, General Manager
Reviewed 25 November 2013 via mobile

The hotel was tiny, but very nice. The room was fresh and looked renovated. Very helpful staff. The nextdoor neighbour was a very nice bar, where you also could smoke hooka (middle-eastern waterpipe with different fruit-flavours). On the downside; our room was facing the street, so there was a lot of traffic-noise during the night. Ask for a room facing the backyard! There's no elevator in the hotel.

Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank LukHel
414Hotel, Manager at 414 Hotel, responded to this review, 23 January 2014
I'm glad you found us, and that you enjoyed your stay here. Thank you for your great feedback and for taking the time to review us. I apologize for the street noise -- it's one of the drawbacks of the city that never sleeps! I hope you'll come see us again someday, and we'll work hard to make sure your experience is absolutely perfect.

Best,
Susan Yates, Sales Manager
Reviewed 25 November 2013

I stayed 3 nights at the 414 Hotel, from Nov 10-13. I was in NYC to take a very important test, 8- hour long torture, so I was looking for a comfortable bed, quiet room, preferably smaller hotel to make for a more personalized stay and easy check-in and check-out. And that's exactly what I found at the 414 Hotel. First of all, I would like to express my commendations to all the staff of the hotel. They took into account my request for a quite room, were very considerate to ask me if I would prefer music in stead of TV when they saw me studying at the lobby, and even wished me good luck on my exam and asked about it when I came back! My room (205) was in mint conditions, there was a stuffed animal of The Muppets on my bed - sweet touch. The bed was very comfortable and I had a good night sleep. The bathroom was clean, and even large for NYC standards. The lobby is cozy, inviting, and has a beautiful fireplace behind a large table where I was able to study. Breakfast starts at 7, and when I was talking to the the front desk they offered to have something for me earlier than that if I needed to leave early on the day of my exam. Overall, this was a great hotel for my needs, I am so happy I found it and it surpassed my expectations. I would recommended it to anyone who is looking for a cozy, quiet, beautiful oasis in midtown Manhattan.

Room Tip: There is a field for special requests when you book online through the hotels' webpage. Room 20...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Catalina S
São Paulo
Reviewed 22 November 2013

414 hotel is a very nice place to stay in New York. It's like you are in a friend's house. I stayed at the hotel in November with my daughter and we had a great surprise.
The bedroom and the bathroom were a very good size, clean and comfortable.
This hotel is located in a nice and quiet neighborhood besides being only three blocks of Broadway. There are good restaurants and a subway station in a short walk.
The hotel also offers breakfast included in the roomprice and surprise! there is a little kitchen opened from 7am until 8/9pm where you can have tea or coffee for free every time you want!
The front desk team is also nice and very helpful, mainly Jackie and Mary. They give you good tips and are always smiling and ready to help.
There is only one aspect that one have to take in account: the hotel does not have elevator. So if you have problems to go up stairs, ask them to stay in the 1st floor or in the courtyard.
If you are expecting a hotel with big crystal chandeliers, huge luxurious lobby, this is not your place. But if you want a nice place with helpful, friendly and welcome people, this is your place in NY.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Umnome
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed 22 November 2013

I travel to NYC on business four to five times a year for four to six days each stay. I always add in time for theater and fun and usually try to stay in the midtown vicinity (no farther south 34th or north than 60th with 10th to 5th Avenues as the outer boundary.) When I started seeing reviews of 414 I decided to give it a try and will never stay anywhere else again unless the hotel is booked. The bedroom and bathroom were both surprisingly roomy for an NYC boutique hotel, very clean and very comfortable. Every staff member I encountered was super friendly.

The location is just enough off the business to make you feel like you are residential but close enough to great restaurants and theaters to not be off-putting. The decor is bright and pleasant. The courtyard is adorable and the lobby, though small, is inviting. I certainly drank my share of the delicious coffee and enjoyed some breakfast nibbles as well.

I felt so at home and safe here. I wish I had found this little gem sooner. For comparison, I have most recently stayed at: Hampton Inn North Times Square, New Yorker, Milford and the Edison. I have not really had a bad NYC hotel experience, it is just that 414 so exceeded my expectations and became more of a welcome place to return to than a hurry and get out hotel. I can not wait to be back.

Room Tip: 2nd floor overlooking courtyard was bright, quiet and had a great view.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business