“Amazing hotel with wonderful service”

W New York - Union Square
Ranked #156 of 469 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 2 March 2014

My daughter (40 y.o.) and I recently stayed at the W New York- Union Square and every minute was fantastic- from courteous and efficient service to great rooms (my room was upgraded) to wonderful food in their restaurant. We were celebrating her birthday and I can't imagine a better hotel experience. The building is old and handsome (and very solid). A friend met us for breakfast before we checked out and was very impressed with the quality of service and the brunch.
Five stars and kudos!!! She and I are going to go back twice a year for birthday celebrations and I am already looking forward to returning.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank emmagoldman
Gtellez, Front Office Manager at W New York - Union Square, responded to this reviewResponded 4 March 2014

Hello Ms. Goldman,
Thank you for taking the time to write and share your recent experience with all of us. I am glad you had a nice visit with us on such a memorable occasion. I will share the wonderful comments with the members of my team. I know they always appreciate hearing these raving reviews from our guests. I am glad you found your new home away from home to celebrate your birthdays! If I can be of any assistance on a upcoming stay with us please feel free to contact me directly at Gerald.Tellez@WHotels.com. I look forward to your response.

Reviewed 1 March 2014

The exercise room was deficient in several ways. First, the bikes were broken so that when you pedaled it changed levels constantly. The pedal straps had been torn off, too. Treadmill had no tv and the room itself was heated as if it was a sauna.
Finally, the front desk clerks were rude and unhelpful. When I asked where the stirrers for the coffee were I was told "sorry" with no suggestions or willingness to consider alternatives... like a spoon! I don't mean to be petty but as a Starwood member I expected more.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple

Hello Wynnesayer,
Thank you for taking the time to write and share your recent experience with us. We always appreciate all of our guests feedback and concerns while staying with us. Please accept my sincere apologies for my team not offering you a simple solution for a coffee stir. It is feedback like yours that has helped us raise the level of guest services in all of our hotels worldwide. On a positive note our gym will be going through a refresh in a few months. This will take care of a lot of the issues you faced in Sweat. I look forward to your return. If I an be of any assistance with a future stay with us please feel free to contact me directly at Gerald.Tellez@WHotels.com. I look forward to your response.

Reviewed 1 March 2014

Pretty typical W experience. "Cool" W vibe, though hotel is actually very nice, built inside an old building. Upgraded to a large room with a view east side towards the Manhattan and Brooklyn Bridges. Location is great on Union Square, with numerous subway lines all over Manhattan. Lots of restaurants and shops in the immediate vicinity of the hotel, so didn't try the hotel bar or restaurant. Staff generally friendly and helpful but a bit standoffish. Obviously rates can vary widely, but if I can get a good rate, I'd consider staying here again (my previous stay was in 2002).

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
Gtellez, Front Office Manager at W New York - Union Square, responded to this reviewResponded 2 March 2014

Hello Cadence8,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on W New York Union Square. I am glad you enjoyed your return visit to us almost twelve years later. I hope you liked our updated versions of our Living Room and guest rooms. If I can be of any assistance on a future stay with us please feel free to contact me directly at Gerald.Tellez@WHotels.com. I look forward to hearing from you.
Director of Welcome Office

Reviewed 27 February 2014

it's amazing that this hotel is in such a terrific area of new york city and is such a fantastic deal. unfortunately i was only staying one night but from check in to check out, it was a wonderful experience. desk and bell staff were very helpful. the room size was more than adequate and the bed was extremely comfortable. bathroom was quite spacious with lovely amenities. bar and restaurant, both fun and energetic - food was very good. delighted that i was able to ask for a coffee maker in my room -- made the morning that much nicer. hope to come back.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank betsy921
Gtellez, Front Office Manager at W New York - Union Square, responded to this reviewResponded 28 February 2014

Hello Betsy,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on your experience at W New York Union Square. We always like to hear from all of our guests. I know it was only one night but I am glad you found your new home away from home in Manhattan. If I can be of any assistance to you on a future stay please feel free to reach out to me directly at Gerald.Tellez@WHotels.com. I look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed 26 February 2014

W Union Square is the best hotel to stay at in NYC. Not only is the location great- but the staff and accomodations are 5 star. The hotel vibe is fun/energetic and accomodations are always clean/nice....and the entire staff is so pleasant and helpful. Additionally, the costs are affordable.

Room Tip: The rooms are much larger than most NYC hotels- the Wonderful room gives you ample space and good pr...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business

Hello Terese,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on your recent W experience. It is always nice to hear from our guests about their stay with us. I will share your wonderful comments with our teams. If I can be of any assistance to you on a future visit please feel free to contact me directly at Gerald.Tellez@WHotels.com. I look forward to your return to W New York Union Square.

Reviewed 24 February 2014

I was lucky enough to be a guest at this hotel on a friend's points.
The rooms were very clean, great odor throughout. Really spacious, beds were super comfortable and the view was actually decent (of Union Square).
The staff was very friendly, doorman was funny and attentive.
The warm apple cider was amazing especially as the weather was a bit on the cooler side.
The location was great, there is a Whole Foods across Union Square (2 minutes), the subway to connect to everything is in the park itself. Eataly is a 10 minute walk.
I highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank zuppa7

Hello Zuppa7,
Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review on our hotel. It is always nice to hear from our guests about their experience with us. I am glad you enjoyed your stay and the hot apple cider. I will share your wonderful comments with the members of my team. If I can be of any assistance a future visit with us please contact me directly at Gerald.Tellez@WHotels.com. I look forward to hearing from you.

Reviewed 24 February 2014

Reserved a suite, upon check-in was told that the prior guests were more important and were not leaving until 4 pm so the suite would not be ready until 5 or 6. We're given a regular room. Were also told the suite was really no better than the regular room. Then why is it so much more money? When took the regular room and got upstairs called down and spoke with manager who informed us that the guests had left the suite and it could be ours but we should look at it first. Looked and the manager was right, it is no better than regular room. Shame on the W for charging so much for nothing more, and shame on W for telling us that we aren't as important as other guests. My son lives in NYC and I was looking for a go to hotel closer to his apartment, I will go back to the Chelsea Pines even though it is farther away, you lost my business.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank taxiartist

Hello Taxiartist,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on your experience with us. Please accept our sincere apologies for all the inconveniences outlined in your review. I know we already spoke in person about your stay and I hope you one day in the future give us another opportunity to win you back over to W. I look forward to hearing from you.