“Awesome- loved every minute”

W New York - Union Square
Ranked #138 of 466 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Douglassville, Pennsylvania
“Awesome- loved every minute”
Reviewed 30 March 2014 via mobile

We just returned from a weekend in NYC with the kids and had a simply wonderful time at the W Union Square. I always enjoy the W hotels, but this one was particularly clean and staffed with helpful and friendly employees. Some highlights:
1. We were greeted with a smile as we pulled up, immediately our bags were whisked inside by the bellman and our car was taken by valet within moments. By the time we got inside to check-in, the bellman knew my children's names and they were fast friends. Very dear.
2. We arrived early, expecting a wait for our room. No wait at all- room was ready.
3. When our romantic getaway changed into a family trip last minute- we expected a problem given that we had booked a king room. They tried to Switch us to two doubles without my even asking- but we're unable to given that the hotel was full. Instead, they rolled a great cot to the room- it was perfect.
4. It was pouring rain and cold- when we returned back to the hotel after exploring all afternoon, we enjoyed lovely cocktails in the lobby lounge while the kids were treated to the BEST hot cocoa ever. When we ventured out to dinner later that night- the bellman ran down the street in the rain to get us a cab at changeover time during a rain storm. We so appreciated it!
5. The room was spacious and filled with all the great amenities you would expect from a W: great beds, towels, powerful shower and of course all the great bliss spa products.
6. Brunch was divine. Red velvet pancakes...really?? Yum!

Thank you, W Union Square!

Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Julie C
Gtellez, Front Office Manager at W New York - Union Square, responded to this review, 31 March 2014
Hello Julie,
Thank you for sharing your experience with us at W New York Union Square. I really enjoyed reading through your review. I will share your wonderful comments with the members of my team, especially the Welcome Ambassador and Door Ambassador team. I know they always take the opportunity to make all of our guests feel right at home. If I can be of any assistance on a future visit with us please reach out ot me directly at Gerald.Tellez@WHotels.com. I look forward to your return.
Gerald Tellez

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (297)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
wa st
Reviewed 29 March 2014

Stayed a week, so I got to learn a few things. I really like the location, would depend on your specific needs, but property is located midtown, right off Union Square, and convenient to most everything. Subway access, good restaurants, bars all close in. Hopping bar off the lobby area, that has foodservice that I just used for a couple of breakfasts. Spotty service, slow, but food was OK. Exercise room was small but adequate for what hotels offer. Rooms were comfy, make sure you put out your DND sign as housekeeping likes to make rooms up on the early side. Some issues with slow hot water. Biggest issue is with street noise. I don't know the room configurations, but I would recommend checking out an interior room. That would be my biggest complaint, loud road noise, otherwise check on in.

Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Hello RJ,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on your experience at W New York Union Square. We always appreciate all of our guests feedback and concerns. I will share your comments with our team in our restaurant. On your next visit with us please reach out to me directly at Gerald.Tellez@WHotels.com as I would like to allocate a room away from the street noise. We have several different categories of accommdations at W New York Union Square. I look forward to your next visit wit us.
Zionsville, Indiana, United States
Reviewed 28 March 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for a night while attending a one day conference and have stayed here one night previously. I always feel more hip than I really am as a 50 year old father when I stay in a W and this one was no exception. Lively first floor bar and restaurant scene, a bigger room than I might have expected for a fashionable New York hotel and friendly and helpful staff. Typical of a W, the floor plan and meeting rooms can be funky ie really large, narrow, ornate and/or dark but everything here worked fine. If you needed to be in the Union Square area, this would certainly be a reasonable choice although perhaps not for the budget minded.

Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Gtellez, Front Office Manager at W New York - Union Square, responded to this review, 29 March 2014
Hello MJN63,
Thank you for your review on W New York Union Square. We always appreciate hearing from all of our guests about their stay with us. I am glad you found your new home away from home in Manhattan. I will share your wonderful comments with the members of my team. We look forward to your next visit.
If I can be of any assistance on an upcoming visit please feel free to contact me directly at Gerald.Tellez@WHotels.com.
I look forward to your next visit.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 27 March 2014

I've stayed here many times. The property is very cool and the rooms are larger than typical in NYC and very modern. Great location on the park with a huge choice of nearby restaurants Much less touristy than Times Square and much more fun than downtown. Quieter, too. Service is always outstanding and the onsite restaurant, lounge, and fitness room are great. I've stayed at dozens of hotels in NYC and this remains a standout.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Hello Harry,
Thank you for taking the time to share with us your recent visit at W New York Union Square. I am glad you had a wonderful time at our hotel. We are very proud to annouce that our fitness center "Fit" will be refreshed in the next couple months. This will update our facility and bring it to the next level. I hope you will return soon!
If I can be of any assistance on a future visit with us please feel free to contact me directly at Gerald.Tellez@WHotels.com.
I look forward to hearing from you.
Dominican Republic
Reviewed 25 March 2014

We had not stayed in the Union Square area before and we found it perfect for our Anniversary getaway.

Hotel is perfectly located with plenty of shops, restaurants, etc very close by.

Had dinner first night at Olivers restaurant in the hotel, great ambiance, great food an excellent experience.

Front Desk staff, bell staff and door staff very attentive, professional and well informed when one had a question.

Rooms very well appointed, HK service consistent and everything worked perfectly in the room.

Had to call down to FD at 4am as needed some medicine from the CVS on the corner, person who took the call went herself and had my medicine to me within 10 minutes.

This is the hotel that I will try and stay in NY from now on!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank betoabreu
Hello Alberto,
Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience with all of us. It is always nice to read such raving reviews on our hotel and our team. I will share your wonderful review with the members of my team. I hope you had the opportunity to have a drink in our underground lounge called Lilium. If not you must on your next visit!
If I can be of any assistance on a future stay please feel free to contact me directly at Gerald.Tellez@WHotels.com.
I look forward to your next visit.
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 15 March 2014

I can't remember having such good service at a New York hotel (much less any hotel we've stayed at for a long time. We generally only stay at hotels rated 4 or 5 stars, and we average 3 or 4 trips to NYC a year for the past 7-8 years. When we arrived, we received a call just checking that everything was to our liking (which it was). We stayed 4 nights during the month of February and everyone was very pleasant and helpful the entire stay, right up to our last day. We had to stow our bags at the front desk after checking out because our flight didn't leave until early evening. We received great advice on how to get to the airport and a final email from management checking to see if we needed anything further. The bellman (David del Valk) was so pleasant and helpful when we came to pick up our bags. Our last several visits before this one we had been staying in the hotels in the Meatpacking District and none of them held a candle to the W. We will definitely be staying there for our next trip to NYC.

Room Tip: We stayed in a room that was a little larger than the smallest room. For the 2 of us, it was perfec...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Gtellez, Front Office Manager at W New York - Union Square, responded to this review, 17 March 2014
Hello Sky,
Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience with us. I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us and you found your new home away from home. I will share your nice comments with David our Welcome Ambassador. I am sure he will greatly appreciate the recognition. Please reach out to me directly if I can be of any assistance on your next visit. You can contact me at Gerald.Tellez@WHotels.com. I look forward to your return!
Newtown, PA
Reviewed 12 March 2014

My daughter and I stayed at the W Union Square monday night. I sent this email today to the manager…..let it serve as my review!

I just wanted to send a short note to tell you what a great hotel you are running.
W Union Square has always been the hotel our family visits in NYC. My husband was your biggest fan. The staff is always unflaggingly cheerful & polite (especially Keith who always seems to be at the front door unless it is a Monday). Natalie at the front desk is charming and Jose got us a cab yesterday, and somehow made the simple exchange feel like a favor from an old friend. Mr. Mendez has been incredibly helpful in arranging last minute stays and answering my inane questions.

It is hard to hire & retain good people and I am sure in the world of hotel management there are more complaints than kudos.

We only stay in NYC a few nights a year, but we will always stay with you.

Christine