“Middling for a W”

GreenLeadersBronze level
San Francisco, CA
“Middling for a W”
Reviewed 8 April 2014

As W's go, this one is a bit lacking.

My key gripe is service. My expectations of New York City hotels are low to begin with; the W Union Square met those expectations. Generally disengaged staff, the Whatever Whenever desk really puts the "whatever" into the job (didn't even look away from the computer screen when I started talking!), and the staff in the restaurant, while courteous, were slow and clumsy.

Room service was OK. I ordered an arugula salad that seemed to have about three pounds of tightly-packed arugula. Fine, but... jeez.

Other reviews notwithstanding, my room had a single, narrow window that was blocked bottom to midpoint by cinderblock on the outside. (They provided a step inside so you could see over it to the roof of another building 19 floors up.) I assume this is an exception in the hotel, however.

Pros: comfy bed, clean room, fast Internet.

Room Tip: Corner rooms on 19 have only a partial view from a single window.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Gtellez, Front Office Manager at W New York - Union Square, responded to this review, 13 April 2014
Hello Chuckymatt,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on your recent stay with us. Please accept my sincere apologies for the service you recieved during yoru experience. We here at W Hotels always strive to provide our guests with the utmost in customer service. I will share your comments with the members of my team, and hopefully on your return you will notice a difference. If I can be of any help to you on an upcoming visit please reach out to me directly at Gerald.Tellez@WHotels.com. I look forward to your response.
Gerald Tellez

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (296)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed 8 April 2014

I've stayed in a number of W Hotels and this one certainly isn't the nicest or coolest one (W Santiago!), but the location can't be beat. You can walk to just about everything or a pretty short cab ride. The hotel itself is nice and clean, but doesn't have a ton of amenities (it does have a nice gym in the basement).

Room Tip: Rooms on the park side are pretty loud. Not horrible, but much louder than on the other side of the...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Hello Paul,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on W New York Union Square. We always appreciate when our guests write about our hotel. I hope you had to opportunity to visit our restaurant Olive's and were able to enjoy the Union Square Green Market. I will share your wonderful comments with my team. If I can be of any assistance on an upcoming visit please feel free to contact me directly at Gerald.Tellez@WHotels.com. I look forward to hearing from you.
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 6 April 2014

I have always wanted to stay here at the W Union Square Hotel and finally got my wish! My husband and I stayed in a "Wonderful" size room and it was spacious and comfortable. My only gripe was that we could hear our neighbors talking in the middle of the night. Otherwise, we loved the amenities, enjoyed the free coffee in the morning, and absolutely loved the central Union Square location. I look forward to staying here again soon!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank qtram
Hello Qtram-
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on W New York Union Square. It is always nice to read such positive feedback about our hotel and team. Next time you visit with us please ask for a quiet corner room, if available. These corner rooms have less guest around them to cause any sort of disturbances through out the night. If I can be of any assistance on a future visit with us please reach out to me directly at Gerald.Tellez@WHotels.com.
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 4 April 2014

My husband and I visit NYC annually and this was our first time staying at the W New York. We will definitely be back! The location is perfect, especially if you want to visit some of neighborhoods without the drama and hype of Midtown. The service is excellent; David Delvalle really attended to all our needs and was truly accommodating, friendly, and went above and beyond to ensure we were having a great time He even brought us cocktail tickets on the first day to help us ease into our vacation. People like David Delvalle are exactly why New Yorkers are always referred to as the "nicest people in the world."

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Gtellez, Front Office Manager at W New York - Union Square, responded to this review, 7 April 2014
Hello Johanna,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on W New York Union Square. It is always nice to hear such raving reviews on our hotel and staff. I will share your wonderful comments with David, our Welcome Ambassador. I am sure he will be thrilled to read such wonderful comments. I am glad David welcomed you into our hotel and you had a wonderful stay with us. I hope you had the opportunity to enjoy the Union Square Green Market right across the street from the hotel in the square. If I can be of any assistance on an upcoming visit with us please feel free to contact me directly at Gerald.Tellez@WHotels.com. I look forward to your return.
New York City, New York
Reviewed 1 April 2014

My husband and I stayed here while we were celebrating his birthday. I emailed ahead of time to let them know it was a special occasion and they gave us a great room upgrade, sent an amazing dessert platter to our room and gave my husband a little present. It was really fantastic.

The room was spacious and clean. The bathroom is pretty basic and our tub stopper wasn't working. The hotel decor is very modern and there is a great bar in the lobby. Best of all is the location of the hotel. It's in the heart of Union Square which is a central hub for the subway and is surrounded by great restaurants. We will definitely be returning.

• Stayed March 2014
Gtellez, Front Office Manager at W New York - Union Square, responded to this review, 2 April 2014
Hello BigAppleMamma,
Thank you so much for taking the time to write a reveiw on W New York Union Square. We always appreciate all of our guests feedback. I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us. I hope you had the opportunity to enjoy dinner at Olive's restaurant. If I can be of any assistance on an upcoming visit please feel free to contact me directly at Gerald.Tellez@WHotels.com. I look forward to your return!
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed 1 April 2014

Our room at the W was spacious and very quiet and the location of this hotel is fantastic. So close to lots of good restaurants and subway. The doormen were not great, sometimes they were there, sometimes not. It was particularly irritating when my daughter and I needed a cab that the doorman was talking with a friend on the sidewalk, oblivious, until I walked into the street and hailed my own cab, at which point he came up and asked if we needed a cab as we got into it. There are no coffee makers in the room, you need to ask for one. The first morning we were there I trekked down to the lobby to get a cup of coffee and asked that a coffee maker be brought to our room. This never happened.

Room Tip: A room higher up will be quieter
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Hello Disugi,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on your recent experience with us. Please accept my sincere apologies for all the inconveniences you experienced during your visit with us. I will share your comments with the member of our Welcome Door Ambassador and Welcome Desk team. I would like to update your SPG profile to state you always prefer to have a coffee maker in your guest room. This will help you when you stay at any Starwood Hotel worldwide. Please reach out to me directly at Gerald.Tellez@WHotels.com
I look forward to your response.
Director of Welcome Office
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 31 March 2014

My wife and I were visiting our college student son and the W Union Square turned out to be an excellent choice. The room was spacious, especially for NYC. The staff were friendly and efficient at check-in, check-out and in between. (The doormen could have been a little more helpful in getting cabs in the rain, but all in all a minor quibble.) The location is excellent - right off the Square and near the subway and lost of restaurant choices.They have lobby coffee in the morning and as for sleeping, the room was pretty quiet for the City. Only heard an occasional ambulance but otherwise not much traffic noise. The rooms and the lobby are all nicely appointed and clean. The W definitely beats out other hotels we have tried in the area.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank 4ontheroadMD
Hello 4ontheroadMD,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on W New York Union Square. We always appreciate all of our guests feedback. I am glad you found your new home away from home in New York City. I will share your wonderful comments with the members of my team. I hope you had the opportunity to enjoy the Green Market right in Union Square during your visit with us. If I can be of any assistance on a future visit please feel free to contact me directly at Gerald.Tellez@WHotels.com. I look forward to hearing from you.
Director of Welcome Office