“Hotel & Staff Are On Point!”

W New York - Union Square
Ranked #137 of 467 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Riverhead, New York
“Hotel & Staff Are On Point!”
Reviewed 27 April 2014

As expected the Hotel was contemporary, chic and had an all around great vibe. The room was generously sized, and the bed incredibly comfortable. The sounds of the City only lightly penetrated the room windows, but it really only added to the whole staying in Union Square experience. Room service was a little pricey, but definitely worth it.

The star of the show however was the Welcome Desk Manager, David. We were in a bind at check-in, and he found a solution almost immediately, relieving us of a burden we were not prepared to deal with.

To those who say, with boutique comes attitude, I say meet David. He is a true professional, and and an asset to the Starwood organization, and W Hotel family.

Room Tip: Book early for better rates.
Green Features: Welcomed and appreciated! It's great to see W stepping up to the challenge of protecting and preserving our environment.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank EastEndHotels
Gtellez, Front Office Manager at W New York - Union Square, responded to this review, 28 April 2014
Hello EastEndHotels,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on W New York Union Square. I am glad you enjoyed your visit with us. I will share your wonderful comments with David. I am know he goes above and beyond with our guests to make them feel right at home. Please reach out to me when you plan on returning to W New York Union Square. I look forward to hearing from you.
Gerald Tellez

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (301)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 22 April 2014

Date of visit: Saturday, 19 April

Location: right across Union Square. Of the 4 current W's in NYC, best location to bars of various neighborhoods, avoiding the touristy Times Square

Looks: As you enter the main entrance, the party seeps out from the Living Room bar on your right.
It's, as per usual for a W Hotel, dark and sexy. The check-in counter is straight ahead, in a slightly claustrophobic corner under the winding staircase.

Amenities: The Living Room bar was definitely lively, with an open space to see and be seen. Very conducive for mingling, not so much for quiet canoodling. I did not get a drink here, but those velvet couches looked comfortable.

Room: The room was small, but served its purpose as a place to sleep. I really liked the different textured wallpapers, and reptile-skinned details on the table and shoe bench. The TV was a large enough size to comfortably enjoy from bed, though you can definitely feel a slight draft from the window. I had at the awesome view of brick wall, and an alley.

Verdict: For the price, I'd hope for a little better SPG Platinum recognition (at least a sincere welcome, but maybe that's a New Yorker thing to skip the pleasantries). But, really, you're here for a sexy room near other nightlife spots. Personally, the location doesn't justify its price - the frequent guest treatment should've, but it fell short this time around.

Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank WheresDuy
Gtellez, Front Office Manager at W New York - Union Square, responded to this review, 27 April 2014
Hello WheresDuy,
Thank you for taking the opportunity to write a review on your recent stay with us. Please accept my sincere my apologies for all the inconveniences you experienced with your visit. We here at W Hotels strive to provide our guests with the utmost in guest services. When you plan on returning to our hotel please reach out to me directly and I will make sure you have a much better experience from start to finish. I look forward to hearing from you. Please contact me at Gerald.Tellez@WHotels.com.
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Reviewed 21 April 2014

The hotel definitely met standards of W hotels. We stayed for an extended weekend, and upon check in were given a great room with a fantastic view of the park. Although it was an upgraded room, we visited some other rooms and they held pretty good standards as well. The room layout was great (again, had a corner room with a couch). Overall a positive experience. The two issues we did have, management fixed imminently (both minor). The social areas were somewhat small given W hotels, but the location made up for the lack of places to "hang out". You are within walking distance of New York's prime nightlife, and right across the street from main subway stops. The stay was fantastic.

Room Tip: Top floor facing park. Upgrade if you can.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Hello jleuenbe,
Thank you for taking the time to write about your recent experience with us. It is always nice to read such raving reviews on our hotel. I hope you had the opportunity to dine at Olive's or enjoy the Union Square Green Market right outside our building. I will share your wonderful comments with my team. If you need any assistance on a future visit with us please feel free to contact me directly at Gerald.Tellez@WHotels.com. I look forward to hearing from you.
Brooklyn, New York, United States
Reviewed 15 April 2014

you cant really go wrong with the w. this hotel is in a great location and the room was clean and comfortable. we stayed here on our wedding night and the front desk sent up a bottle of champagne, which was very nice.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Gtellez, Front Office Manager at W New York - Union Square, responded to this review, 21 April 2014
Hello Genevieve,
Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review on our hotel. I am glad you had a wonderful stay at W New York Union Square during your wedding night. I will share the great comments with the members of my team. If I can be of any assistance with a future visit with us please feel free to contact me directly at Gerald.Tellez@WHotels.com. I look forward to your next stay.
Lincolnton, North Carolina
Reviewed 15 April 2014

This was our first visit to a W Hotel and it was amazing.

Friendly and helpful staff, excellent room service, wonderful location!

A special thanks to Bill and the staff for making our amazing weekend wedding celebration with our son so wonderful!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Hello Denise S,
Thank you so much for taking the time to write and share your recent experience with us. It is always nice to read such a raving review on our hotel and our staff. I hope you had the opportunity to dine in Olive's and experience the Union Square Green Market. We look forward to your next visit. All the best,
Lugano, Switzerland
Reviewed 12 April 2014 via mobile

I love the W hotels but was expecting more. The rooms are ok, service is good, staff is friendly. The elevator is the worse part of all. Takes too much to go up and down. Room service and food was pretty good, and the location is also nice. But as I said not enough for a W!

Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
Hello Chris,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on our hotel. Please accept my sincere apologies for the inconveniences described in your review. I will share your feedback with my team. We appreciate you bringing this to our attention and look forward to your next visit with us. All the best,
San Francisco, CA
Reviewed 8 April 2014

As W's go, this one is a bit lacking.

My key gripe is service. My expectations of New York City hotels are low to begin with; the W Union Square met those expectations. Generally disengaged staff, the Whatever Whenever desk really puts the "whatever" into the job (didn't even look away from the computer screen when I started talking!), and the staff in the restaurant, while courteous, were slow and clumsy.

Room service was OK. I ordered an arugula salad that seemed to have about three pounds of tightly-packed arugula. Fine, but... jeez.

Other reviews notwithstanding, my room had a single, narrow window that was blocked bottom to midpoint by cinderblock on the outside. (They provided a step inside so you could see over it to the roof of another building 19 floors up.) I assume this is an exception in the hotel, however.

Pros: comfy bed, clean room, fast Internet.

Room Tip: Corner rooms on 19 have only a partial view from a single window.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Gtellez, Front Office Manager at W New York - Union Square, responded to this review, 13 April 2014
Hello Chuckymatt,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on your recent stay with us. Please accept my sincere apologies for the service you recieved during yoru experience. We here at W Hotels always strive to provide our guests with the utmost in customer service. I will share your comments with the members of my team, and hopefully on your return you will notice a difference. If I can be of any help to you on an upcoming visit please reach out to me directly at Gerald.Tellez@WHotels.com. I look forward to your response.