“Superstar Staff, Great Location, Upscale Experience.”

W New York - Union Square
Ranked #142 of 468 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersBronze level
San Diego
“Superstar Staff, Great Location, Upscale Experience.”
Reviewed 31 May 2014

My recent stay at the W New York Union Square was outstanding. I don't have a negative thing to say about the hotel, its staff, or my stay. The staff treats you like you are at a tiny high end resort making you feel you are the most important person in the hotel. They do go above and beyond.....like Stella making sure my brothers room was ready for an early check in, or running into Rob the doorman at dinner off property. He asked how our stay was going, and wrote down restaurant recommendations for us for the next night....and this was when he was off duty! The highlight of my experience was Katherine Woods their "Welcome Desk Talent Coach'. Katherine went way out of her way to help me with a complicated reservation change I needed to make. The management gets an A+ because the attitude of the staff comes from a great management team. It may sound like I am a W New York Union Square employee...but Im not. I'm just a picky world traveler that appreciates it when a hotel "gets it right". I cant wait for my next stay!

1 Thank LizaS S
Gtellez, Front Office Manager at W New York - Union Square, responded to this review, 5 June 2014
Hello Liza,
Thank you for taking the time to write about your experience with us at W New York Union Square. I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us. I will share your wonderful comments with the members of my team, especially Stella, Rob, and Katherine. I know they enjoy reading about how they exceeding all of your expectations. If I can be of any assistance on an upcoming visit please feel free to contact me directly at Gerald.Tellez@WHotels.com. I look forward to your return. All the best,
Gerald Tellez

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (296)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 29 May 2014

The W Hotel beds live up to their reputation. Best night's sleep in a hotel. I was fortunate to have a very quiet room. And, the best part of my day was David del Valle, the door man, who knew where everything was and made sure that I had a taxi when I needed it, helped me get boxes over to FedEx, predicted the weather, and was a great "trip advisor"!

Room Tip: I don't want to tell you the room number, because I want it next time. Quiet with a view!
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Hello Suyin88,
Thank you for taking the time to write about your recent experience at our hotel. I am glad you enjoyed your experience with us. I will share your wonderful comments with the members of my team, especially David. Should you need any assistance on an upcoming visit please feel free to contact me directly at Gerald.Tellez@WHotels.com. I look forward to your next visit. All the best,
Germantown, MD
Reviewed 29 May 2014

On previous trips to NY, we have stayed at Sheraton or Hilton on Times Square for the convenience. My husband who comes to NY on business recommended we stay here since Union Square is a good location, more of a local authentic NY experience and less tourists. We loved the hotel and location - the Farmer's Market every day outside the hotel, the Union Square Park and subway (only 4 stops to Times Square. Subway is at the diagonal corner of square from the hotel) and all the restaurants near by. It was walking distance to Greenwich Village, Madison Square, and my husband could bike along the river from hotel (he brought his bike). See my Union Square “Beats Time Square - Loved it! It has everything! Relaxation, food, shopping, convenience” review for more details on why Union Square beats Times Square. This hotel gives you the convenience and close to fantastic amenities without the mobs of tourists and crowded sidewalks. It gives you the fun and energy of NY while also giving you a slower, relaxing options as well.

We stayed Memorial Day weekend for three nights on Starwood points. We would definitly return to the hotel and recommend it. We had great, prompt service at the hotel. From Eddie who checked us in and gave us a room overlooking Union Square and was friendly and professional to the maid who quickly got us a repairman to unplug our toilet (husband's fault; not the toilet's), and the service in the "Living Room" bar (get the coconut rum drink with pineapple and cranberry juice), it was all good. Cocktails were in the $13 range.

The room was clean and decorated in blue and orange with black wooden, modern furniture that had space for clothes and shoes that you didn't want to bother putting in the closet drawers. Room was a normal size with a desk, desk chair, and a reading chair. Bathroom was a good size and the shower was big enough for three people. The glass doors are so much nicer than a shower curtain. Sink in the bathroom had plenty of room for my bag of cosmetics. Wonderful collection of the Bliss products (shampoo, conditioner, facial wash, lemon & sage bath gel, soap, shower cap with nail file and wooden tool for cleaning under the nails). Safe in the closet. Minibar fridge with warning that it does not chill like a normal fridge. We got 2 free bottles of Dasani bottled water for being Starwood Preferred Guests (1 each day). There was also $7 bottles of water you could buy. Go to the 24 hour CVS next door and you can buy a 6 pack of the same brand of water for the same price.

We were on the 6th floor and could hear the traffic noise at night but I guess it is just part of the charm of staying in the big city and hearing the city sounds. No coffee maker in the room but Starbucks, Panera, and Dunkin Donuts, and delis are around the square. If you feel like walking a few blocks, Think Coffee and Joe The Art of Coffee are near by for a really good cup of coffee.

The lobby doesn't have any chairs, just a front desk and a concierage. There were fresh green apples on the lobby desk. In the afternoon, there was fruit water and one morning, there was good coffee. No tea. There might have been coffee there other mornings but we didn't notice it.

You can get breakfast delivered to your room and the restaurant is open for breakfast - dinner. Next door is a deli with pancakes and bacon for $7 and pretty good sandwiches (got one for the Amtrak train ride home). For breakfast, we normally went to the Farmer's market for fruit and a pastry and then walked to a coffee shop. Beware the street vendor selling fruit across the street from hotel. The rasperries were good and only $3, but he tried to give me only a $1 change when I gave him a $5 until I questioned him on it.

Taking the subway to Penn Station to catch the Amtrak train, it took about 45 minutes from the hotel to the connecting station and then walking a few blocks to Penn Station.

Room Tip: Request a room overlooking Union Square - fun to see the Farmer's market being set-up in the mor...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank GodLovesYou
Hello GodLovesYou,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on your recent visit with us. It is always nice to read when our guests enjoyed their experience with us. I am glad you found your new home away from home in New York City. I will share your wonderful comments with the members of my team. Please reach out to me directly when you plan on returning to our hotel, I will make sure you have a room on a higher floor away from all the street noise below. I look forward to your next visit with us.
Gerald.Tellez@WHotels.com
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 28 May 2014

I was in NY for a one night stay on memorial day wkd. It was my first time staying here and I was very impressed. The location was great!! there was a nice spa in the area that I tried and it was super easy to catch a cab!

The highlight was the lovely staff. Stella Draskin checked me in with a very welcoming smile. She was able to get us checked in a couple hours before check in time which allowed us to get a head start on our short but very busy stay. We had a very nice room on a high floor with a view.

The doorman, Keith Brown was BEYOND helpful. He gave us great directions, helped us get cabs and was full of laughter and jokes. Over all everyone was freindly and looked like they enjoyed thier jobs. You dont see this attitude often in busy big cities during holiday weekends. I highly reccomend this place and will be back again soon!

1 Thank rae D
Gtellez, Front Office Manager at W New York - Union Square, responded to this review, 2 June 2014
Hello Rae D,
Thank you for sharing with us your experience at our hotel. We always appreciate all of our guests feedback on their stay with us. I will share your comments with the members of my team, especially Stella and Keith. I know they go above and beyond to always make our guests feel right at home. If I can be of any assistance on an upcoming visit please feel free to contact me directly at Gerald.Tellez@WHotels.com. I look forward to your next visit.
Lake Forest, California
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Perfect location for walking and a short cab to wonderful restaurants...... from Italian to Greek to Seafood...... Staff is very customer service friendly... Just remember you get into a Black Car instead of a Yellow Cab..... plan on paying twice as much..... not good......

Room Tip: Corner Room ........ more light.....
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Hello PhyllisR1234,
Thank you for taking the time to write and share your recent experience at W New York Union Square. I am glad you enjoyed your visit with us. I hope you were able to enjoy the Green Market right outside our front doors in Union Square. If I can be of any assistance on an upcoming visit please feel free to contact me directly at Gerald.Tellez@WHotels.com. I look forward to your next visit. All the best,
United States
Reviewed 27 May 2014

The W Union Square is a perfect location to get out of the fray of the tourist activity, yet close enough to shoot up to Times Sq et al for a dose or two.

The staff was amazing, and I am shocked to hear reviews of poor customer service. I was very impressed at how friendly (and handsome!) each and every staff member was. The hotel was very clean, and smelled clean and was very comfortable. Rooms quite large for a NYC note. Will definitely go back; thanks W!!!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Gtellez, Front Office Manager at W New York - Union Square, responded to this review, 28 May 2014
Hello Brooke,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on your recent visit to W New York Union Square. It is always nice to read when a guest has found their new home away from home in Manhattan. I will share your wonderful comments with my team. I hope you had the opportunity to dine in Olive's and or enjoy the Green Market right outside in Union Square. Please let me know if I can be of any assistance on a future visit with us. Contact me at Gerald.Tellez@WHotels.com. I look forward to hearing from you.
toronto
Reviewed 26 May 2014 via mobile

My boyfriend and I arrived and stayed here for a family wedding. We were promised a room with a great view. When we finally got the room it was a terrible view. If people cannot deliver a great room they shouldn't say they can or promise. My boyfriend called the front desk to complain and the very man he spoke to denied even speaking to him at all. As we waited in the lobby we constantly received rude stares and comments from the staff at Olives. Reminding us it was reserved for people paying for food and drinks.

We got lots of attitude from staff members here as well aside from the room cleaners who are extremely nice.

Find a different hotel this place is not worth the price. Completely over priced and no free wifi in the rooms. It's an old building turned into a W hotel..... And the work they have done is very poor. Yellow caulking in showers, banged up furniture.

I have stayed in hostels with better customer service. Avoid it!!

• Stayed May 2014
4 Thank jackie89Toronto
Hello Jackie,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on our hotel. We take all of our guest's experience very seriously here. Please accept my sincere apologies for all the inconveniences you outlined in your review. I hope you were able to speak to a member of management upon departure so we had the opportunity to make turn this around. It is our goal to ensure our guests leave feeling like they made a good choice in hotels in New York. Should you like to discuss this on a more personal note please contact me at Gerald.Tellez@WHotels.com. All the best,