Contact accommodation for availability.
There are similar hotels available.
All reviews original cabin light sleeper small space earplugs lowry soho
Selected filters
Reviewed 7 October 2019

This is the worst experience I ever had in a hotel. First of all, when I woke up at 6:30am because of the noise (rooms are not isolated as there is no ceiling in the cabins and are located in a corridor of 50 cabin rooms), I found 5 bed bugs on my pillow. I directly complained to the reception and, although they changed my room (they did not seem surprised though), they did not disinfect this room and gave it to another client the same day. Deliberately attributing someone a room infested by bed bugs when you are aware of it, is just unacceptable.
In addition to bed bugs, rooms are cabin rooms and are much smaller than shown on the pictures, with no window except for very few rooms. All cabin rooms are located in a big room and are separated from each other by a fine wall and they have no ceiling. Anyone making noise can be heard in all other cabin rooms. Also, if someone turns on the light during the night, you will see the light in your room. All this makes it hardly possible to sleep after 6/7am in the morning even if you are a heavy sleeper.
Finally, the hotel is extremely cold and they only give you a very thin blanket. I was freezing the first night, and had an interrupted sleep because of the cold (in addition to the noise and the light) so I slept with my coat, my scarf and two jumpers the night after.
In conclusion, I can understand the history of this hotel (staff of The Bowery House has preserved and restored every detail of the remarkable 1940’s cabin craftsmanship and in turn provide unique, authentic and historic accommodations) but not at this price (~100USD per night) and not at the cost of the essentials of hygiene (bed bugs). Their motivation is definitively more cost saving than preserving the history of the hotel

Date of stay: October 2019
2  Thank Charlotte V
Reviewed 9 September 2019

I stayed at the Bowery House about 6 years ago and had a decent experience. Although there was very limited hot water on that visit.

I stayed there again last week for a couple days. This will be my last time. At 60 years old, I think I just need a place where I can have some privacy and be guaranteed a good nights rest.

I did have one very bizarre incident. In the middle of the night, the guy in the next “room” (who, strangely, always left his door wide open) was making a lot of noise. At one point he was shaving with an electric razor, which was quite noticeable at 2am. I opened my door and popped my head into his room to politely tell him that we could hear him. He freaked out and jumped up and started screaming at me that he was going to bash my effing head in if I didn’t get back in my room (I had only been in the hallway for about 5 seconds) Then he physically attacked me and shoved me into my room and slammed my door. I’m sure he woke up the entire floor.

The next day upon checkout, I told the front desk guy. He seemed completely indifferent and muttered something like “Huh...ok...I’ll talk to him about that”. And that was it. A weird, isolated incident, I’m sure. But very unsettling.

I also think that in the age of AirBnB, this place is way overpriced.

Date of stay: September 2019
3  Thank Jesse Y
Reviewed 29 August 2019

I stayed at the Bowery House, and had a great time. The staff is very friendly (Ghia is the best!!) and helpful! The room was clean and just what i needed for a one night stay. They are very accommodating and would recommended the property to anyone coming to the area that needs a nice place to stay.

Date of stay: August 2019
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
1  Thank JRH0330
Reviewed 18 August 2019

As a solo female traveller staying for two nights, this place was perfect. It should be obvious from the price that these are hostel-style accommodations, if you are expecting a big hotel room, you are not going to find anything in Manhattan at this price point. Compared to dorm-style hostels, I loved having the privacy of the cabins! Clean and comfortable. The washrooms were clean and not too busy as well, just the basics and private enough (bring flip flops to go between your room and the showers). I saw other reviews complaining about noise - just like any other hostel, noise levels depend on the courtesy of other guests, and they do give you earplugs. The first night was a bit noisy but the second night was quiet between 10pm-9am. Also, the rooftop terrace was nice and private with a great view!
Please take the negative reviews with a grain of salt - if you have traveled to NY before and/or stayed at other hostels, you will know this place is great value.

Date of stay: August 2019
Trip type: Travelled solo
TBH_220, Manager at The Bowery House by OYO, responded to this reviewResponded 29 August 2019

Greetings Cassandra,

Thank you so much for your valued feedback.

We are so happy you enjoyed your stay and hope to see you again. Let us know when as we would love to take care of your reservation for the next time you are in town!

Reviewed 28 July 2019 via mobile

I'm traveling the US for 4 weeks and looking to keep costs down, and this place meet the criteria. Staff were friendly and helpful, and I found it to be in walking distance of Brooklyn bridge and WTC. The room is basic and small but clean and comfortable for someone who is not fussy like me. The earplugs did little to abate the horrendous snoring of other guests, but that's not the fault of the staff. I would definitely recommend some in ear headphones and dozing off to a podcast or audiobook.

Date of stay: July 2019