“NEW YORK CITY: SEE IT WITH GABBY CABBY AND REALLY SEE IT!”
Review of Gabby Cabby

and up
Full Day Private Custom Tour of NYC
Ranked #193 of 639 Tours in New York City
More attraction details
Owner description: i do a full day tour of manhattan and teh bronx and a full day tour of brooklyn and a half day tour of manhattan. i am the "property." i am sophisticated, urbane, charming, good looking and a very funny guy. by the time the day ends, i will have turned you into a person who really knows new york city. you could almost call it a "class" instead of a "tour." but, there is no exam at the end of the day. Although the tour must be bought in advance, if the client cancels for any reason there is a full refund without fees or surcharges. During the tour, you will get to taste our famous street food. My treat. You also get a fine tote and maps and brochures.
Reviewed 10 February 2014

Our day with Gabby Cabby (aka Peter Franklin) was without a doubt one of the best parts of our recent trip to New York City. I cannot think of a better way to see the real New York than with this informed and informative man. This tour is not for the faint of heart, the trifler; this is for those who want to learn about the city and its boroughs from the inside out, from someone who has lived there his entire life and whose pride shows through in every statement. And best of all, he tells everything - history, anecdotes, jokes, asides, geography, you name it - in rapid-fire, genial style that's both endearing and entertaining. I swear, by the end of the day when he was reminding me not to forget my gloves, he felt like family...

You book the tour on-line before you go and if there is something in particular you wish to see, mention it while you're booking, Gabby Cabby does tailor his tours to suit the client wherever possible. We wanted to see whatever he wanted to show us so left ourselves in his more than capable hands for more than seven hours. Seven hours! That's not counting the forty-five minutes we took for lunch when he left us at the diner where Seinfeld used to be filmed...and how cool is that? And if you're wondering if the amount of time was too long? Not in the least...

Even though the day was kind of crummy weather-wise...rainy and slushy but cold too...the hours just flew by as we toured Harlem, the Bronx, Brooklyn, and saw sights we hadn't expected to see (the Cloisters, the amazing Brooklyn bridge - in detail, and Yankee Stadium, just to name a few). Gabby Cabby knows where the bodies are buried (literally - he showed us where someone famous was gunned down, and also where the most people are buried in Manhattan).

His knowledge of NYC is inexhaustible and I could have gone out again the next day and started on another seven or eight hours. I would be willing to bet, he could do another long tour and not repeat anything he did the first day at all. There were many times during our trip, especially towards the end, when he would point out something like Greenwich Village and talk about it in passing (a place I'm familiar with as it happens) but then say something like, 'but, unfortunately that's not on our schedule today, we can only fit in so much'...so I know, there's more to see, much more.

Would we go with him again? In a New York minute.

February 10, 2014

3  Thank seingraham

Reviewed 10 February 2014

My sister and I booked a trip with Peter to satisfy my moms love for his radio shows having never listened to him ourselves. We fell in love immediately! This charismatic, hysterical and well informed guy soon proved that there is no other way to get to know New York. He is the epitome of a New Yorker: friendly, obnoxious and fabulous! He taught us (two 20-something travelers) how to manouvre the streets of manhattan with ease and showed us everything we wanted to see and more. I consider Peter a friend and would love for him to visit us in South Africa so I could return the hospitality and humor he so easily imparts on his tours. No matter who you are or what you do, this man will sneak his way into your heart and I guarantee you will have your BEST day in New York with him. Thank you Peter for looking after us, making us laugh and showing us around your city. We would move there tomorrow because of you!

2  Thank Tamaryn R
Reviewed 28 January 2014

The three of us "girls" paid our second visit to NYC in December (Christmas is just the best time) and the Gabby Cabby had been recommended. So glad we booked Peter. What a lovely warm, fun loving and knowledgeable man. We thought we had seen a fair bit of NYC on our first trip but that was only an introduction. After our day with Peter we really felt we had seen and heard about the real New York .... The Bronx, Harlem, Spanish Harlem, China Town, Little Italy, Greenwich Village, Battery Park. The best trip ever and will definitely book him again on our next visit. Think maybe Brooklyn. Thanks again Peter for showing us your wonderful city. Katrina, Joan and Margaret (The Scottish one, the English one and the other Scottish one)

1  Thank SanKat
Reviewed 19 January 2014

My wife and I visited New York City during December. On the advice of a friend, we booked the NYC tour with Peter Franklin. He collected us in front of our hotel at 9h00 and we returned at 4 pm. The remarkable thing is that he kept us in raptures for the entire time. We hung on the man's lips from beginning to end. His encyclopaedic knowledge of everything big and small about this amazing City was shared in his delightful chatty style - there is no doubt that Peter's tour was by far the top attraction of our entire 3 week US visit. Highly recommended. Cassie Badenhorst, Johannesburg South Africa.

3  Thank cassie b
Reviewed 14 December 2013

We traveled to New York City for our anniversary and it was our first time there. As part of this trip I wanted to take the kind of tour that would introduce us to the real New York, and help us to experience this quite expansive city in a personalized and special way.

Of course there are many tour options available, including the sightseeing tour buses, and some other interesting alternatives. We decided to go with the Gabby Cabby and could not have been happier with the day that we had. I think we would have been very disappointed had we gone with one of the typical bus tours.

Our time with Peter was a mix of cultural lessons and entertainment - we thoroughly enjoyed the engaging conversations and certainly learned a great deal about New York City. By the end of the tour, I felt a whole lot more knowledgeable and this provided us with lots of ideas for the remainder of our stay.

Highly recommend that you take this tour. As I told him in a note, we fell in love with New York City, and it was mostly his fault.

1  Thank M_M_09202003