“Excellent Service”

The Ritz-Carlton New York, Battery Park
Ranked #85 of 468 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 14 January 2014

This was our first stay downtown and we were kind of disappointed. Not because of the hotel, but because we were so far away from our usual haunts (Broadway, Central Park, etc) that we hardly ever were at the hotel. It was just too far away to run back and change clothes or rest up a bit before dinner. This of course was our own fault, so on to the positives.

The RC was very nice, our room was spacious and clean. The bar was ok, nothing special but the bartender, along with all of the other service areas of the hotel, was excellent.

The doormen helped us tremendously. Arriving at 7:40PM and having a 8PM show Midtown we were basically resolved that we were going to miss the first 20-30 mins of our show. Arriving my wife ran inside and a manager immediately got her checked in and took our bags. During this time i was asking the doorman how to get midtown the fastest way possible. He got us a town car (for only $25 bucks!) and we FLEW uptown. We arrived with one minute to spare and missed none of Avenue Q (great show BTW). After dinner we arrived at the hotel late to find our bags placed in the room, turndown service already done and of course, chocolate on the pillows. I could go on and on about how helpful the staff was but let’s just say that it could not have been better. I'd stay downtown again at the RC if I were in town for business or, for some unknown reason, needing to be on Staten Island a lot.

Room Tip: Location is only poor for OUR trip... we're midtown-centric people.....
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for The Ritz-Carlton New York, Battery Park

Reviewed 14 January 2014

As a regular business traveler, I am away several nights a year. Given the number of nights, I have a status card with the Ritz and have conveyed my preferences, ie. King Bed. Arriving in the room and seeing two double beds, I called down to inquire as to if a King was available. "Not sure and will call you back". Waiting 15 minutes and hearing nothing, I went down to the reception desk and inquired if a different room was available with a king bed. I am told there is nothing available. I arrived late ask if I can redeem some points and be upgraded to the club level. It is late and I wanted to grab something to eat and not have to go out. I felt like I was asking for a handout. BTW- The membership program offers three upgrades a year and I am asking to redeem one....I am not sure that this is unreasonable?! I am advised that this is a "favor" he is doing for me. I finally get to the room and drop my things, go to the lounge for a refreshment and was denied access. The key was never programmed to allow me access to the lounge on the
Club level. It wasn't worth going back down to the desk again.

Just a few little annoyances but as a business traveler, it does make a difference. I would recommend staying at the Conrad if given a choice.

• Stayed: January 2014
1  Thank MyIrishEye
Reviewed 14 January 2014

We came to the Battery Park Ritz Carlton for a mini-honeymoon last week. Service was gracious as expected, room on a high floor had the view of the Statue of Liberty. Rose petals strewn throughout the room added just the right romantic touch for newlyweds!

Location is lovely but of course requires cab rides to get anywhere in the city - or take the subway like we did - located three blocks away.
Overall a great experience.

Room Tip: Ask for the high floor and view of the water.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 January 2014

This hotel is a personal favorite of mine when I stay in Manhattan. My family and I have stayed here many times over the past ten yeas and it never disappoints. We usually stay on the Club Level in rooms that overlook the harbor. The view is incredible, even for a native New Yorker who can take the sites of this beautiful city for granted. The rooms are immaculate, the bathrooms are well-appointed and the Club Level offers a great lounge. The lounge provides a great breakfast, lunch and snacks. The downtown location is convenient to several iconic tourist attractions and convenient to uptown shopping, theater district and museums. Most everything in New York is a subway or taxi ride away. I must make special mention of the staff. They are professional, attentive and responsive. They go out of their way to make their guests welcome and make themselves available to attend to your needs. Cannot find a reason to stay anywhere else in N.Y.C.

Room Tip: Try t book a room overlooking the harbor and Statue of Liberty.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 9 January 2014

As a first time visitor to New York we were looking for something special, and found it. A view over the Hudson River and the Statue of Liberty. Even a telescope in the room. The hotel is opposite Staton Island Ferry terminal and the subway station.
New York is such a large City that it is difficult to be convenient for all of the sites but transport is easy. On the first day we used a taxi to Times Square but subsequently found the subway cheaper and faster. We didn't know what to expect on the subway but found it easy to use, and safe.
Ground Zero and Wall Street are within an easy walking distance of the hotel and the hop-on/hop-off sightseeing bus passes very close to the hotel.
The hotel staff are excellent, friendly and smartly dressed and can't do enough to be helpful.
Eating and drinking in the hotel is very expensive, and even greater after the tax and tips, but there are reasonable restaurants nearby.
I would highly recommend this hotel subject to a reasonable rate on the room.

Room Tip: Go for a room with a view of the Statue of Liberty for something exceptional
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 7 January 2014

My wife and I live in NYC but we wanted to get away and also visit the downtown area.
We stayed at the Ritz-Carlton in Battery Park City. We stayed on the executive floor with lounge
accessand took advantage of the weekend package with a view of the Staue of liberty. It was very nice and the concerige could not have been more helpful. The staff in the lounge waited on us hand and foot. They remembered our morning coffee preference sand evening cocktails and after an afternoon out it was a real joy coming back to our oasis. I have come to the conclusion that you recieve what you put into it, being polite and civil goes a long way to having the staff treat you right. We noticed some rude individuals who where given short shrift by the staff.

Room Tip: Does not have a pool. Get a room with a view.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 January 2014

The hotel is very corporate looking. No more special than say, Westin in downtown Phoenix.

There were a lot of stains in the room, on the carpet, armchair, and headboard. Among the hotels we stayed at on our NYC holiday trip, the RC room was in the worst condition.

Unless you are on a corporate expense account and have to stay in the financial district, it'd be wise to spend your money somewhere else.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple