“Wonderful service & great price”

The Ritz-Carlton New York, Battery Park
Ranked #99 of 470 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 7 April 2014

My husband and I spent the weekend at the Battery Park location for a fun weekend away. We enjoyed our stay as the staff was very friendly and helpful. The doorman put us in the house vehicle to take us to dinner instead of a cab though our destination was more than 20 blocks away which was wonderful! The location is obviously far downtown and quiet during the weekend but we knew that when booking. Room service was delicious and very fast. Room was clean and large especially for a city hotel.

Room Tip: Some rooms have views of the statue of liberty, ask for the view!
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Stephanie K
Write a ReviewReviews (2,274)

Reviewed 4 April 2014 via mobile

Me and my husband visited nyc for our 30th birthdays. We decided to stay in this ritz carlton as we had never stayed downtown. From the moment we arrived we were treated really well. We had a liberty view room which was stunning! The staff were really friendly and very helpful. The location is very quiet with a variety of bars and restaurants in the financial district which we took advantage. Times square is a 20 min subway ride away, the subway station is only a 10 min walk away which gives you time to take in the amazing surrounding areas. If we return we will definitely be using this hotel again.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank discodiva5
Reviewed 4 April 2014

This is a very good hotel for a tourist visit - staff very helpful, rooms a good size for city centre hotel, location very quiet for large city and metro station just 200m away so fairly easy to get around.
However, there are some drawbacks to be aware of:
- rooms are not well insulated for sound. We were aware of neighbours coughing and watching television until 3am (maybe fell asleep watching it). Not unusually bad for an hotel, but certainly not what I would expect in a 5* hotel.
- not a lot of restaurants in the area other than the pizza restaurant next door.
- we had a family room and the double beds were standard double size, not larger.
I would certainly recommend it at the price we paid (which was very cheap) and we had an excellent holiday.

Room Tip: Worth the extra for view across Statue of Liberty. The telescope kept my kids busy for ages looking...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank french_chairboy
Reviewed 3 April 2014

I booked to stay at the Ritz-Carlton Battery Park as part of a trip to New York with 8 friends as a celebration of my birthday. When we arrived after an eventful flight (I'll never fly with American Airlines again) it was great to be greeted by Emmanuel the door man who was extremely polite and arranged all of our luggage. There was a slight blip with the rooms, we had booked Statue of Liberty view rooms with a 2 double beds but when the booking came through from BA (who we booked with) it did not specify this. Max the front of house manager swiftly sorted this out and offered complimentary breakfast for the entire party the following day for the inconvenience. All settled in the room, a birthday card, champagne and strawberries were delivered for my birthday which was a lovely touch! The rooms were fantastic; a great size with a view right out to Lady Liberty with a telescope to get a close up, the bellboy even showed us how to take photos through the telescope with our phones and offered his local eatery recommendations. The bathroom was huge! with the deepest bath ever and a separate shower and toilet. The beds were like sleeping on a cloud, although the excitement of being in NYC meant I only ever had a short sleep.
Breakfast was out of this world with service to match. Through out our stay the hotel staff made us not only feel welcome but went the extra mile meaning we all felt we were staying in true luxury.
The staff were also really good fun, my friend and I returned from the shops one day and were getting a photo outside the hotel laden down with big brown bags, the door staff were happy for us to use a luggage trolley!
Carlos the concierge was so helpful when I was trying to get tickets for an event and asked me the next time I saw him how it had gone.
I wanted to stay out of the Time Square tourist trap which is why I chose the downtown location, I was worried that this might make it a challenge to get further uptown to some of the sights but I needn't have worried as the Ritz is only a short walk to three different subway stations. It's also a much better location for great places to eat and drink; North End Grill was a pleasant walk along the water and the food and service were out of this world when we went to Sunday brunch. The Dead Rabbit and The Underdog are nearby cocktail bars which serve fantastic drinks. Century 21 the discount department store is also nearby, look up the opening hours and get there for it opening to make sure it's not too busy. We also went to the 9/11 memorial which is just a short walk.
I'd definitely recommend staying at the Ritz-Carlton Battery Park and it will be my first choice for my next trip.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Siobhan R
Reviewed 30 March 2014

I was a guest at this nice hotel on a business trip to New York almost three weeks ago. The staff was friendly and eager to help. The breakfast service was prompt. But there was something missing.

First, the physical facility does not have the elegance of other Ritz hotels. My room was a fine business class room, but there was nothing five-star about it. In fact, it was dinged up and in need of a refurbishment.

Second, while the service was acceptable, it was not the above-and-beyond standard one expects from a Ritz. For example, I decided to take advantage of the complementary show shine service. I dutifully put my shoes outside of my door before bedtime while relying on the guarantee that they would be back to me by 7:00 a.m. They weren't, even by 7:30. I had to call for them.

In short, there is nothing wrong with this hotel. It is a fine place to stay if you need to be in the Wall Street/Battery Park area. If you're expecting the Ritz, however, it will fall short. I'm giving it three stars because it falls short of the elevated expectations one has when paying for a Ritz.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Family_of_Five_DC
audrey f, General Manager at The Ritz-Carlton New York, Battery Park, responded to this reviewResponded 31 March 2014

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us and our Trip Advisor readers. I am happy to hear that you found our property to be conveniently located to the Financial District and that our staff was friendly. However, I am sorry to hear about your unfortunate experience with our shoe shining services. I completely understand your disappointment given the request is a fairly simple one. With regards to the condition of your room, we schedule each guest room to undergo preventive maintenance. It is clear that the room you were checked-in to should have been inspected more carefully and taken out for maintenance and for that again, I am sorry. I hope that this experience will not discourage you from staying with us again. I know that we cannot change what has already occurred, but I can assure you that your future visits to our property will be memorable. Should your travels bring you back to this location, please feel free to contact me directly so that I can personally look after your reservation. We do hope to have an opportunity to welcome you back again in the future.

Greg Mendoza

Reviewed 29 March 2014

This is a small but stunning hotel done is a clean very cool and modern style. The building is really beautiful and it has beautiful and unique spaces for restaurants and a bar. The rooms are nice and some have a view of the New York harbor.

The staff always seem to mean well. But sometimes they don't listen to what you really want. We have stayed there ten times and have noticed this on all visits.

Despite that, this is a very Romantic environment and is a good bet for special occasions.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Stee E
Reviewed 21 March 2014

We stayed for 2 nights in this hotel. It's what you'd expect from a Ritz Carlton hotel - the staff are polite, the rooms are modern and clean and our bathroom was large for New York, with a separate shower. It takes just under 10 minutes to walk to the nearest subway station on Rector St, which is the subway stop in the Financial District close to Wall St. and Ground Zero.
The only issue that some travellers may have is the location. You're right across from Battery Park and the buildings around it are apartments. There are no restaurants or cafes in this area. We walked back to our room from the subway at 11 PM on Saturday night and passed no-one between the subway and the hotel. The area was completely empty.The walk is along a busy road so it's safe but I usually stay in midtown hotels and I missed the bustle of midtown. Also, over the weekend, I had to buy 4 rides a day on the subway because any attractions I wanted to see were in midtown and then going out at night meant coming all the way back south to change.
There are a few restaurants in an area beyond the Rector St station, near Ground Zero and a cluster of pubs around Pearl St. I think business travellers would love this hotel, as it's so close to Wall St.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple