“Hard to fault this amazing hotel”

The Ritz-Carlton New York, Battery Park
Ranked #74 of 467 Hotels in New York City
“Hard to fault this amazing hotel”
Reviewed 4 May 2014 via mobile

We stayed at the Ritz Carlton for four nights (my wife and I and our 2 9 year olds). All I can say is wow!! From the check in staff to the porter everyone we met were fantastically helpful and friendly, the staff bowled us over. The room was beautiful, we had a Statue of Liberty facing room an the view was spectacular, especially at night.
The hotel is nicely situated for the Staten Island ferry and the metro train links.
The only drawbacks are most attractions are higher up on Manhattan so getting to them is not as easy as if you were located mid Manhattan and the rooms have no free wifi although it is free in the lobby area.
Overall though we could not have asked for a better hotel base for our stay and it's 5* for an excellent price. We would certainly stay here again.

Stayed April 2014

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (525)
  • Arabic first
  • Finnish first
uk
Reviewed 3 May 2014 via mobile

First trip to new york my husband and I and my mum and partner. (For her 60th)
They had booked the hotel and what luxury it was!
Beautiful rooms and amazing views (I kept getting up in the night to look out of the window!)
The staff are lovely, we even had a turn down service every night!
Cant comment on the food as we didn't eat there.
But the area is lovely, strolling along the river looking out at the statue of liberty was truly amazing! And the beds are unbelievable!
Would highly recommend if your looking for comfort, luxury and beautiful views:-)

Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 April 2014

We arrived at The Ritz Carlton Battery Park on the 21st April! Myself and my boyfriend were staying for a week for my 21st birthday. On arrival you are met outside and helped with your luggage. Once checked in you are shown to and around your room, as they knew it was my birthday they had arranged for a bunch of balloons to be in the room ready. The view from the room was gorgeous! The hotel and rooms look exactly like they do on the pictures on their site.
Once we were settled in there was a knock on the door, it was one of their staff now bringing a birthday cake and champagne!
We were introduced to Carlos one of the concierges on arrival, we went to him on the 2nd day to find out where is good to eat, within minutes he had booked us in a fabulous restaurant and drawn us a map of how to get there (Harry's is the restaurant, in walking distance). When we arrived at Harry's, Carlos had arranged for us to have a private booths and also a glass of wine on him after our meal! Before we left for the meal we asked Carlos about tickets for Broadway, he advised what to see and what not to see, when we got back from our meal he had typed us a letter giving tips on where to get discounted tickets and to also advise he had pre booked us in at another restaurant over looking Times Square!
Could he be any more efficient!? The next day we go get our tickets (from a ticket booth on south street sea port, much cheaper than anywhere else and no queues). We saw After Midnight, wonderful production for anyone visiting soon. When we arrived at the restaurant he had booked us in the view was breathtaking, straight on overlooking Times Square!
The whole experience at this hotel was faultless, from the little things like, turning your bed sheets down and leaving you a chocolate each night to organizing your trip, simply amazing!
When we return to New York in the future we will 100% be staying back here at the Ritz.

Room Tip: We stayed on the sixth floor overlooking the Statue of Liberty, request a room overlooking the water...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank April B
Warren, New Jersey
Reviewed 30 April 2014

We've been to the Ritz Carlton battery park several times over the last few years. It has really fallen off recently. During our first stay a few years ago we had a harbor view room with a telescope for a view of the Statue of Liberty. That was a fantastic room. Three weeks ago we had a large corner room on the eighth floor with a view of the Freedom Tower. Very nice.

Fast forward to today...we were given a handicapped room on the third floor with a view of their roof. We asked to change rooms and needed a double as we were traveling with two children. We were told we could pay for two king rooms or get a king and a roll away. We made this reservation months ago...they had to give us a handicapped room? I guess the hotel was booked? We kept the room..

They attempted to make the roof prettier with stones and some tree plantings. The room was cramped compared to other rooms within the hotel that we had stayed in before. I couldn't hang my clothes in the closet because the rods were at my waist level. My coats touched the floors. So we are living out of the suitcase and hanging our coats on the back of the chairs. The robes that are hanging on the back of the bathroom door are pretty much working as floor wipes every time I open and close the bathroom door. Not what I expect when I pay RC prices! Turned down came at 10:10pm. We were about to go to bed. When we told her we didn't need turn down, just an extra bottle if water and lotion, she gave my husband the nastiest look. Again, not what I expect from the RC.

We found some crumbs on the floor when we arrived. The beds are a bit hard. We enjoy the quiet Battery Park location. It's a beautiful 50 minute walk along the river to the West Village where we went to have dinner (EN Brasserie..delicious!!!) True, the rooms here are a bit less expensive that those in midtown so value-wise it wasn’t too bad.

The next morning I went downstairs with a nice big smile to ask for a room change. Young at the front desk said more than half their doubles were handicapped room (?!!!) but would see if anything else was available. She found one room on the same floor but it wouldn't be ready for a while. She offered to have the bell hop bring our luggage to the new room when it was ready as we were headed out for the day. That made me much happier!

So 9:15pm we got back to the hotel...they must have forgotten us! Our luggage was still in our original room and they hadn't released our new room to us yet. Thankfully it only took 10 minutes to resolve the situation. So 9:30pm we were able to settle into our non handicapped room. So much better.

The doormen, front desk (for the most part) , and people who serviced the complimentary coffee in the morning were all very friendly. They hotel did not seem to provide a complimentary morning newspaper either. That’s a bit of a change as well.

Overall it’s a decent value for NYC. The room was fairly standard. The service was ok. The price is less due to it’s location away from most of the fun NYC stuff.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Alice Y
audrey f, General Manager at The Ritz-Carlton New York, Battery Park, responded to this review, 1 May 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us and our Trip Advisor readers. I am delighted that you continue to enjoy the downtown/Battery Park area. You are correct in regards to this area being quite scenic and serene. Sorry that we were not able to meet your expectations regarding your accommodations, unfortunately due to the sold out situation this weekend, we were not able to upgrade you as we have done in the past. Please accept my apologies regarding the Turn Down service. On the other hand, I am happy to hear that you found our Ladies and Gentlemen to be friendly.

I know that we cannot change what has already occurred, but I am certain that this was an isolated incident and that your future visits will be more enjoyable. We do hope to have an opportunity to welcome you back again in the future.

Greg Mendoza
Baltimore,MD
Reviewed 29 April 2014

My wife and I wanted to trying something new. We typically stay further north(Gramercy) or SOHO. With that said, we booked through AMEX Plat and as a result received free continental breakfast for 2, $100 food and beverage credit for our stay, wifi, early check- in(Noon), and late check out (4pm). Not bad, right?

Check In: Drop off at the front door was hectic. Seems like busses, cabs and valet clog the side street that leads up to the hotel. No one really keeping traffic moving.

Front Deck: Simple and painless. Had keys in a few minutes and a lay of the land.

Room: large for NYC standards. Big bathroom, tub and shower. Desk had two chairs. This is nice as we wanted to eat our breakfast looking at the Statue of Liberty. Sitting chair as well. bed was very comfortable. Overall, its a great room. Turn down service was a nice touch.

Location: If you are looking to see the 9/11 memorial, Wall Street, Tribeca, and or the Stature of Liberty, this is the hotel for you. My wife and I spend a lot of time in Gramercy, SoHo, East Village and even Mid Town. This is not the best location for these areas of town. Note: this is not change my rating of the hotel. Simply personal preference.

Overall, if I were on business or needed to be in this area I would be happy to stay here again.

Finally, if you are looking for a great cocktail bar you should head to the Dead Rabbit!.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Captpablo
Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed 27 April 2014

We stayed at the Ritz-Carlton Battery Park in April 2014. It was walking distance to the Stanton Island ferry and the 911 Memorial. They found out we were there for my daughter's 18th birthday and surprised her with a huge solid chocolate Statue of Liberty and cupcakes. The concierge service was very helpful when we tried to make arrangements for 10 for dinner. I would highly recommend the hotel.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank tgspecht
Witney, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 April 2014 via mobile

Just returned from a week's stay. I would definitely stay again, great location, beautiful interior, the beds well wow, soooo comfortable, not sure I have ever slept so well in a hotel. The welcome you receive is warm and friendly and for us this continued throughout the stay, doorman really helpful and actually say 'welcome back' each time you walk through the door. This hotel do everything they can to make you happy, little teddy for our daughter as we arrived, plates of luxurious hand made chocolates waiting for us when we returned one day! We had room 924, two double beds, Deluxe Room, great TV, plenty of space, lovely bathroom. This room looks out from the back of hotel, so we didn't have a river or Liberty View, you would have to request this and is extra.
We have visited New York quite a few times but never stayed in Battery Park area. There is some regeneration work going on now at the river front around the ferry area and pierI would recommend as the Metro is a short walk away at Rector Street, right next to the best diner George's. We saw so much more of NYC than ever before. The hotel is a right on the Hudson River and from the hotel lobby you can sit, free wifi, looking out at Lady Liberty. We didn't use the restaurant or room service as with a fussy 10 year old it is a waste of money as the food is very pricy. On the last night it was my husband's birthday so we treated ourselves to our fave champagne so we could dress in our finery and go to the bar, just a glass each but $29 a glass!! So you get the picture. Our daughter was welcome but we were ushered away from the bar area, very nicely actually, to a table in the bistro. Daughter was bought a bowl of fruit! I know reviewers have called this more of a Conference Hotel, and I can see why, there aren't facilities for children, but with American TV and New York for a garden she was happy and never complained!

Stayed April 2014, travelled with family