“Personalized attention in "The Big Apple"”

The Ritz-Carlton New York, Battery Park
Ranked #91 of 469 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 6 May 2014

My husband and I spent a lovely weekend in NYC at the Ritz Carlton, Battery Park. We are transplanted New Yorkers and enjoy returning to the city from time to time. This trip we opted to stay in lower Manhattan, and how happy we were that we did. From the moment we checked in, the personal and warm greeting at reception made us feel welcome. We had a lovely room, with telescope pre set to view "Lady Liberty". We both leaped at the chance to catch the view through telescope, even tho the large window also offered us a wonderful panorama of the busy waterway and "Lady with the Lamp".

Our bellman, Nino, was most eager to inform us about the hotel and other possible needs for transportation and sightseeing. This hotel is footsteps away from the Staten Island Ferry, or Statue of Liberty ferry--a great opportunity. One can easily walk from this hotel to the 9/11 Memorial, walk across the Brooklyn Bridge, visit Wall Street and even bus/taxi to the theatre district, (tho a bit time consuming to do so). The concierge offered wonderful restaurant suggestions and we truly felt 'at home' and cared for at this location--something both unique and rare in the big city. Hats off to the staff at Battery Park Ritz Carlton for making out-of-towners feel at ease, welcome and informed.

Room Tip: Tho a bit more costly, the view of the river, Statue of Liberty, is a real treat. Club floor servic...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank walkerupstateNewYork

Reviewed 4 May 2014

Stayed over the Easter period. Quick check in, and a really spacious room and bathroom. Great view of Liberty. Good quality bed, it was like being at home. Concierge were great and very helpful. Only ate breakfast at the hotel,which was fine. Was disappointed to see that the Rise bar was not used any more. Why? The main hotel bar is quite nondescript, and a roof top bar would have made it great. Housekeeping also were very good. Ritz-Carlton service throughout. Would consider returning

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 4 May 2014 via mobile

We stayed at the Ritz Carlton for four nights (my wife and I and our 2 9 year olds). All I can say is wow!! From the check in staff to the porter everyone we met were fantastically helpful and friendly, the staff bowled us over. The room was beautiful, we had a Statue of Liberty facing room an the view was spectacular, especially at night.
The hotel is nicely situated for the Staten Island ferry and the metro train links.
The only drawbacks are most attractions are higher up on Manhattan so getting to them is not as easy as if you were located mid Manhattan and the rooms have no free wifi although it is free in the lobby area.
Overall though we could not have asked for a better hotel base for our stay and it's 5* for an excellent price. We would certainly stay here again.

Stayed: April 2014
Reviewed 3 May 2014 via mobile

First trip to new york my husband and I and my mum and partner. (For her 60th)
They had booked the hotel and what luxury it was!
Beautiful rooms and amazing views (I kept getting up in the night to look out of the window!)
The staff are lovely, we even had a turn down service every night!
Cant comment on the food as we didn't eat there.
But the area is lovely, strolling along the river looking out at the statue of liberty was truly amazing! And the beds are unbelievable!
Would highly recommend if your looking for comfort, luxury and beautiful views:-)

Reviewed 30 April 2014

We arrived at The Ritz Carlton Battery Park on the 21st April! Myself and my boyfriend were staying for a week for my 21st birthday. On arrival you are met outside and helped with your luggage. Once checked in you are shown to and around your room, as they knew it was my birthday they had arranged for a bunch of balloons to be in the room ready. The view from the room was gorgeous! The hotel and rooms look exactly like they do on the pictures on their site.
Once we were settled in there was a knock on the door, it was one of their staff now bringing a birthday cake and champagne!
We were introduced to Carlos one of the concierges on arrival, we went to him on the 2nd day to find out where is good to eat, within minutes he had booked us in a fabulous restaurant and drawn us a map of how to get there (Harry's is the restaurant, in walking distance). When we arrived at Harry's, Carlos had arranged for us to have a private booths and also a glass of wine on him after our meal! Before we left for the meal we asked Carlos about tickets for Broadway, he advised what to see and what not to see, when we got back from our meal he had typed us a letter giving tips on where to get discounted tickets and to also advise he had pre booked us in at another restaurant over looking Times Square!
Could he be any more efficient!? The next day we go get our tickets (from a ticket booth on south street sea port, much cheaper than anywhere else and no queues). We saw After Midnight, wonderful production for anyone visiting soon. When we arrived at the restaurant he had booked us in the view was breathtaking, straight on overlooking Times Square!
The whole experience at this hotel was faultless, from the little things like, turning your bed sheets down and leaving you a chocolate each night to organizing your trip, simply amazing!
When we return to New York in the future we will 100% be staying back here at the Ritz.

Room Tip: We stayed on the sixth floor overlooking the Statue of Liberty, request a room overlooking the water...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank April B
Reviewed 30 April 2014

We've been to the Ritz Carlton battery park several times over the last few years. It has really fallen off recently. During our first stay a few years ago we had a harbor view room with a telescope for a view of the Statue of Liberty. That was a fantastic room. Three weeks ago we had a large corner room on the eighth floor with a view of the Freedom Tower. Very nice.

Fast forward to today...we were given a handicapped room on the third floor with a view of their roof. We asked to change rooms and needed a double as we were traveling with two children. We were told we could pay for two king rooms or get a king and a roll away. We made this reservation months ago...they had to give us a handicapped room? I guess the hotel was booked? We kept the room..

They attempted to make the roof prettier with stones and some tree plantings. The room was cramped compared to other rooms within the hotel that we had stayed in before. I couldn't hang my clothes in the closet because the rods were at my waist level. My coats touched the floors. So we are living out of the suitcase and hanging our coats on the back of the chairs. The robes that are hanging on the back of the bathroom door are pretty much working as floor wipes every time I open and close the bathroom door. Not what I expect when I pay RC prices! Turned down came at 10:10pm. We were about to go to bed. When we told her we didn't need turn down, just an extra bottle if water and lotion, she gave my husband the nastiest look. Again, not what I expect from the RC.

We found some crumbs on the floor when we arrived. The beds are a bit hard. We enjoy the quiet Battery Park location. It's a beautiful 50 minute walk along the river to the West Village where we went to have dinner (EN Brasserie..delicious!!!) True, the rooms here are a bit less expensive that those in midtown so value-wise it wasn’t too bad.

The next morning I went downstairs with a nice big smile to ask for a room change. Young at the front desk said more than half their doubles were handicapped room (?!!!) but would see if anything else was available. She found one room on the same floor but it wouldn't be ready for a while. She offered to have the bell hop bring our luggage to the new room when it was ready as we were headed out for the day. That made me much happier!

So 9:15pm we got back to the hotel...they must have forgotten us! Our luggage was still in our original room and they hadn't released our new room to us yet. Thankfully it only took 10 minutes to resolve the situation. So 9:30pm we were able to settle into our non handicapped room. So much better.

The doormen, front desk (for the most part) , and people who serviced the complimentary coffee in the morning were all very friendly. They hotel did not seem to provide a complimentary morning newspaper either. That’s a bit of a change as well.

Overall it’s a decent value for NYC. The room was fairly standard. The service was ok. The price is less due to it’s location away from most of the fun NYC stuff.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Alice Y
audrey f, General Manager at The Ritz-Carlton New York, Battery Park, responded to this reviewResponded 1 May 2014

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us and our Trip Advisor readers. I am delighted that you continue to enjoy the downtown/Battery Park area. You are correct in regards to this area being quite scenic and serene. Sorry that we were not able to meet your expectations regarding your accommodations, unfortunately due to the sold out situation this weekend, we were not able to upgrade you as we have done in the past. Please accept my apologies regarding the Turn Down service. On the other hand, I am happy to hear that you found our Ladies and Gentlemen to be friendly.

I know that we cannot change what has already occurred, but I am certain that this was an isolated incident and that your future visits will be more enjoyable. We do hope to have an opportunity to welcome you back again in the future.

Greg Mendoza

Reviewed 29 April 2014

My wife and I wanted to trying something new. We typically stay further north(Gramercy) or SOHO. With that said, we booked through AMEX Plat and as a result received free continental breakfast for 2, $100 food and beverage credit for our stay, wifi, early check- in(Noon), and late check out (4pm). Not bad, right?

Check In: Drop off at the front door was hectic. Seems like busses, cabs and valet clog the side street that leads up to the hotel. No one really keeping traffic moving.

Front Deck: Simple and painless. Had keys in a few minutes and a lay of the land.

Room: large for NYC standards. Big bathroom, tub and shower. Desk had two chairs. This is nice as we wanted to eat our breakfast looking at the Statue of Liberty. Sitting chair as well. bed was very comfortable. Overall, its a great room. Turn down service was a nice touch.

Location: If you are looking to see the 9/11 memorial, Wall Street, Tribeca, and or the Stature of Liberty, this is the hotel for you. My wife and I spend a lot of time in Gramercy, SoHo, East Village and even Mid Town. This is not the best location for these areas of town. Note: this is not change my rating of the hotel. Simply personal preference.

Overall, if I were on business or needed to be in this area I would be happy to stay here again.

Finally, if you are looking for a great cocktail bar you should head to the Dead Rabbit!.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple