“TOTAL MESS OF A HOTEL !!”

The Ritz-Carlton New York, Battery Park
Ranked #80 of 467 Hotels in New York City
elkhart
“TOTAL MESS OF A HOTEL !!”
Reviewed 8 July 2014

Ok, So I have stayed at other Ritz locations and I have to say this place was a cluster. I took off a few days of work to take a friend over the 4th. Upon check in I was asked if I wanted to upgrade rooms I decided we didn't need to because I was not planning on staying in the room much. When getting into the room "double beds" I find a red stain on the exterior of the comforter, house keeping came and changed it out, not a huge issue looked as if someone ate something and just dropped it. The rain hit, so I decided we needed to talk with the concierge Service to see if we could not book a dinner cruise for the 4th of July, expecting to pay a large premium because of the simple fact it was the morning of the 3rd already. The guy "Jay" says he was making a list of vendors we could go on and would call us and let us know, that call never came, I waited and called at 7pm, another guy picked up the phone and said "Jay" was with a customer he would need to call us back, that call never got returned.. I went ahead and took it upon my self to locate a service. House keeping another joke, requested a dental kit twice with no prevail, went into restaurant to eat, ordered brunch 15 minutes later the waitress comes back to tell us they are now not serving brunch that she can give us new menus and we could have dinner this after they personally gave us menus and took our order. To say the least your better off with a different location and or a totally different franchise period. I am not one to ever complain and am usually very quiet, but this place for the cost was by far the worse place I have ever stayed at ... So many people at the front desk complaining it was actually sad to watch the girls getting yelled at by the customers when in fact it was not their issues but more of management issues then anything. They wanted to make things right by sending us a dried out cake that set it the room for 4 hours before we got back. We did not even eat it ...

Room Tip: find another location
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank jkinney30
audrey f, General Manager at The Ritz-Carlton New York, Battery Park, responded to this review, 10 July 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us and our Trip Advisor readers. I can certainly understand your disappointment as we clearly failed to meet your expectations.While I agree that this is unacceptable, I was happy that we had an opportunity to immediately address these issues during your stay with us. I understand that you were in contact with our Hotel Manager while you were still a guest at our hotel and shared your feedback. It seems that our correspondence which was mailed to you, has not yet reached you. I assure you that we continuously strive to provide the highest level of service standards to our guests and our Ladies and Gentlemen are truly committed to meeting & exceeding our guests’ expectations. Obviously, this was not the case here and I offer my most humble apologies Should your travels bring you back to this location, please feel free to contact me directly so that I can personally ensure that your stay is a positive and memorable experience. We hope to have an opportunity to welcome you back again in the future.

Greg Mendoza

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (546)
  • Arabic first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
Nottingham, England
Reviewed 8 July 2014

Stayed here for a weekend (Friday and Saturday night). The hotel arranged for a limo to pick us up at JFK. The driver was waiting for us and it took about 40 minutes to get to the hotel where we had a very friendly welcome and were taken straight up to our room. We were on the Club Floor and our corner room had a fabulous view of the Statue of Liberty from the lounge and also from the bedroom and a view of the Freedom Tower from the bathroom. We had tickets for the 911 Memorial Museum the next morning and the Concierge directed us there and gave us maps. He also arranged tickets to see Jersey Boys that evening (an amazing show). The Club Lounge was very good with food and drinks available throughout the day - including champagne - and the staff were excellent. Although the hotel is at Battery Park, the park itself is closed at the moment for refurbishment, bit there are lots of lovely walks all around the hotel. We never waited very long for a taxi. A very good choice of hotel - to be away from the crowds, noise and madness and yet a 10/15minute taxi ride takes you to the heart of Manhattan.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
New York City, New York
Reviewed 7 July 2014

My experience began one day prior to arrival when I received an e-mail for mobile check-in. I was able to pre-register and notate my arrival time. I would later receive an e-mail when my room was ready! This feature was very convenient for me as my night at the RC was a stay-cation. Once I received my e-mail I headed to the RC. Upon arrival, I headed to the Front Desk to simply pick-up my key. The mobile features didn't stop there. I was able to request services at specific times (and even check the status), and do mobile check-out.

In addition to my fascination with these new RC mobile features, the staff was genuinely wonderful! The bell woman personally brought my dog a bed, bowls, and a bag of even more amenities. This personal touch led me to believe that an amenity personally given to you is truly more memorable and personal than when an amenity is already waiting in your room upon arrival. At the RC dogs seem to be given the same respect as people, if not better! And the location is perfect for dog owners, as Battery Park is across the street (although much of it is currently under construction) and there's a beautiful path on another side of the RC that goes through the neighborhood of Battery Park.

We had a Harbor View room, which is of course, breathtaking! Words can't describe this view. We also had access to the Club Lounge, where we spent much of our time, and thank you to the very accommodating PM server. They even play some light music in the lounge, like Billie Holiday! I loved the feel of the very intimate and warm lobby and public areas. The bar (and small lobby lounge) seemed like nice spots to have coffee/drinks had I not had the club access.

My only minor complaint was that we were given an ADA room. The bathroom didn't have a bathtub, the toilet wasn't enclosed in a separate room, the desk chairs were wheel-less, and there was no armchair. I would appreciate being notified of this at check-in, as once we were in the room we didn't want to move because of that harbor view!

San Jose, California
Reviewed 6 July 2014

Free wifi in lobby, but not in room, boo! Cell phone reception is room is non existent, may be one bar near the window, lobby near windows is ok. They have a nice fitness center on 14th floor with complementary towels and spring water. Treadmills, ellipticals, some weight machines, mats and free weights. Its not great but decent to keep your muscle memory even on vacation.

Rooms are well furnished, two queen beds that were comfortable, lots of pillows, tv, alarm clock/ radio, safe, all the toiletries you need. Hair dryer, weigh scale. Iron, slippers and ice cream on your pillow was a nice touch. I kept the ac on even at ngut at 68 and slept well. They also have a desk with telephones and a lounger with foot rest. Local calls are chargeable, 1-800 are free. The staff does leave complementary spring water each day which comes in handy in summer months. They were kind enough to put a mini refrigerator in my room, requested and booked thru Expedia. They are pricey but worth it in my opinion. No swimming pool though

The bathrooms are great, separate toilet with door, separate tub and shower stall. Shower had great water pressure, they supply shampoo, conditioner, body lotion and shower gel. Lots of towels, tissues, shower cap, etc. they could supply tooth brush, razor on request. There is a pharmacy (Duane reade/ Walgreens) just down the street on Broadway.

All the family had a great time, special mention to Alexis (front desk) and Jay (concierge) who really responded to any question I had. They do provide complementary subway maps and aim to delight their customers.

Highly recommend this hotel if your looking for a bit of flair, great service, great view centrally located in Batter park near the ferries and subway station. 4 stars

Room Tip: Get a standard room with the statue of liberty room, you also get a telescope for a close up view. M...
1 Thank Satnam B
El Dorado Hills, California
Reviewed 6 July 2014

From the moment we arrived, it was as though we were completely insignificant. We were surprised by the laziness of the staff. We have stayed at the Ritz at Half Moon Bay, CA., Laguna Beach, Lake Tahoe, Maui, etc. We stay at the Ritz because the Ritz Carlton has remained consistent in what we expect in a luxury resort. I am blown away at the lack of any desire from the staff to do anything above what their job title is. We might as well have stayed at the Sheraton, at least the expectation would not have been there. The staff appeared to "go through the motions" and their smile fades almost instantaneously. I guess I have to say the term "lazy" comes to mind. We asked "where is a good place for breakfast", and noticed 2 staff quickly walk away and pretend they did not hear us. ???? Did we not tip enough??one of them was the gentleman who showed us our room. I have always tipped well (I thought). Anyways, we are sorely disappointed. I was celebrating my 50th birthday, and regret choosing this place. I must say of note, Kenneth Morrow (sp?) in the bar was refreshing and fun. I appreciated him and his humor. Thank you Kenneth.

Room Tip: Liberty suite is nice, bed is fantastic.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Anne P
audrey f, General Manager at The Ritz-Carlton New York, Battery Park, responded to this review, 7 July 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us and our Trip Advisor readers. I am so sorry to hear about your unfortunate experience. I completely understand how you could be disappointed with your stay given the lack of attention and genuine care you received. This is unacceptable and I will address this immediately with our Leadership Team. I assure you that we strive to maintain the highest level of service standards to our guests and our Ladies and Gentlemen are committed to exceeding our guests’ expectations. Obviously, this was not the case here and I offer my most humble apologies. I know that we cannot change what has already occurred, but I can assure you that your future visits to our property can be memorable. On a brighter note, I will be sure to pass your kind words to our bartender. Should your travels bring you back to this location, please feel free to contact me directly so that I can personally ensure that your stay is a positive and memorable experience. We hope to have an opportunity to welcome you back again in the future.

Greg Mendoza
Levittown, New York
Reviewed 5 July 2014

I stay at many Ritz-Carlton's, but I always come back to Battery Park. The hotel is in a great location. You walk right out, and can walk to many cool spots in the city. I stay on the club level. They are more than accommodating. Max has worked there for a very long time, and remembers us each time we come back. That says something about the service! The price is not bad for this hotel, and you can always get a deal! The rooms need some updating, but the scenery is beautiful. Stay on the level where you have a telescope and can look at the statue of liberty! The breakfast at the hotel is great also! There is a spa, I haven't gone but my husband said it is small. There is no pool though :o(.

Room Tip: Choose club level!
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Mississauga
Reviewed 1 July 2014

We stayed there for 3 nights and all was good. The room was clean. Quick response to all that we needed. Location is great. The hotel is on the Hudson river and a bit away from NYC downtown where it's super crazy and busy and yet still close to most touristic places in NYC. The subway station is less than 5 mins walk away. Battery Park is across the street. We saw so many sightseeing busses stopping in the area but haven't been on any. Walking along the river is so nice. You just cross the street and you're in for a nice walk any time of the day. Staff was friendly and welcoming.

Room Tip: A room with a view on the Hudson river is nice.
2 Thank Ghada H